Those of you with bugles still...

My two sops (single valve with rotary) were thank yous from an American Legion Post I used to play taps for on Memorial day. The corps they sponsored was no longer active and the horns were just in storage taking up space. My wife was bribed with a similar vintage mellophone when a french horn player, who was going to play echo taps with me, got stranded at a corps camp when Mt St Helens blew, and she steped in and played my echo that year. I have a new Kanstul on order. Kanstul seems to think I dont deserve it for free. They want cash.....the nerve.

I bought my Getzen valve-rotor baritone on Ebay. There are always a few old horns for sale on there. We also have an Olds, brass two-valve soprano in mint condition that we bought on there (had to be either Bridgemen, Memphis Blues, or Bushwackers). My son learned to play on that before we bought him his first trumpet for fifth-grade band.

I bought my Dynasty G baritone from Carolina Crown back in 2002.

I'm considering purchasing a King G baritone but since I have nowhere to practice (live in apartment, no Silent Brass) and am not performing, the money would be better spent elsewhere.

I got my two valve DEG soprano, just like the one I played in Regiment, on eBay. It was in sort of rough shape when I got it, but I had it professionally cleaned up and parts of it refinished. Now it looks and sounds fantastic! I feel like Charlie Brown when they fixed up the Christmas tree in that Peanuts special!

No idea what corps it came from originally, though, and I'd like to know. Does DEG keep track of who bought the horns originally, by serial number? There is no corps info on the case (that's usually makes it obvious).

I bought a gorgeous 2-valve frenchie from PR when they sold their surplus. I quickly found out how hard those things are to play well. It takes a lot to make it not sound like an animal dying in a toxic waste drum.

Edited by festive

Bought off of eBay -

2 valve King Bari (ex-VK horn possibly)

Single valve (with valve lock) Tenor Bari - way before my time

Wish I had the option to buy when my first corps folded (rare 2 horizontal valve Bari)