What's Your Best Memory of Drum Corps?

As far as I was concerned you guys always were a powerhouse, but the first time I saw Santa Clara Vanguard do the BOTTLE DANCE in person I went absolutely

bizzerk, crying and saying to my friends, "NOW that is what drum corps is about!!!!"

Corps doing moves that get the crowd off their seats and showing their appreciation for a great job.

Thanks Vanguard for one of the most emotional moments in my drum corps career.

Okay, that was it. I was straining my brain to come up with one, but there it is. It was 1973. I was 13 years old. We had played Oshkosh the night before, but this was the deal - What was the equivalent of DCI Midwest. Bleu Raiders were still on the field, but as son as we turned the corner into the veiw of the crowd to set up, they began cheering us on. I was in kind of a daze, as I remember very little of the shows I did, as I was in a kind of zen state, but I remember this one. I never, ever got to see the Bottle Dance, ever. I played cymbals and was on my knees in front of the snares acting as a universal cymbal stand, before they actually allowed those on the field, but that night, if memory doesn't fail me, was the unveiling of the Bottle Dance. I could hear the crowd from behind me, as soon as the those ladies began to slowly drop down. I didn't really know what it was at first, but I looked up at the faces of the snare line and I could tell it must have been the crowd. When I finally made it back behind the line and the song ended, I nearly cried from the emotion. But I snapped out of it and I don't remember much after that.

I had some great moments marching in this sport, but that one defined it for me.

Maggie - I wish I could have seen the '71 Dallas show, it is one of my regrets, but I used to watch you guys practice at Jefferson nearly every weekend, and I was there when you all got back from tour, in those old Trooper buses. I loved that show. Henry was the reason I marched in TOR

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, that was it. I was straining my brain to come up with one, but there it is. It was 1973. I was 13 years old. We had played Oshkosh the night before, but this was the deal - What was the equivalent of DCI Midwest. Bleu Raiders were still on the field, but as son as we turned the corner into the veiw of the crowd to set up, they began cheering us on. I was in kind of a daze, as I remember very little of the shows I did, as I was in a kind of zen state, but I remember this one. I never, ever got to see the Bottle Dance, ever. I played cymbals and was on my knees in front of the snares acting as a universal cymbal stand, before they actually allowed those on the field, but that night,  if memory doesn't fail me, was the unveiling of the Bottle Dance. I could hear the crowd from behind me, as soon as the those ladies began to slowly drop down. I didn't really know what it was at first, but I looked up at the faces of the snare line and I could tell it must have been the crowd. When I finally made it back behind the line and the song ended, I nearly cried from the emotion. But I snapped out of it and I don't remember much after that.

As much as I can't know for sure, I think we, the Dutch Boy Cadets were at that show doing exhibition with the Racine Kiltie Kadets!!!!!

We were doing our first tour of the mid west and our corps director wanted us to see the best and they were all there SCV, Troopers, Kities I can't remember who else was there but that was some show, WOW!!!

One of my best memories would be the night I believe Spirit of Atlanta got it's soul and became a drum corps.

It was a warm and muggy night in the spring of 1978 at I believe, Garrett middle school. We had been struggling all winter and into spring with the opener, "Walk Him Up the Stairs" from the musical Purlie. The word I would use to describe the way it had been sounding up to that point would be "Hokey." It just didn't have any life to it. Jim Ott, the music arranger and head horn instructor was seriously considering canning the whole tune, (a move which would've had major implications for everyone involved).

I don't remember how or why it happened but when we had our run throughs that night, everything just came together and "clicked" for the very first time. This dull, boring, hokey song all of a sudden came to life with an energy and excitement that raised goosebumps on your arms and got your foot tapping to the beat. It was as if the whole corps got the Holy Ghost at the same time.

I remember having a party at my apt. after that practice and we played the tape over and over (wish I still had that one!). But anyway, that was the night that put the "Spirit" in Spirit of Atlanta, and the rest as they say, is history.

1971 VFW, Dallas TX.

Standing at the starting line and looking out over this vast field that had that misty look of humidity hanging over it, all you could see were these HUGE Texas sized bugs flitting back and forth all over the dang thing.  (Funny what sticks in your mind). 

I really don't remember doing the show.  I remember however retreat and the moment they announced 2nd place going to those awesome Troopers.  As trained, we (the guard) didn't move a muscle even though we had won the most prestigous of Championships for the first time.  I could hear the horn and drumline going nuts behind us but I dared not move or face the rath of our Guard Captain.  She finally turned to us with this big grin on her face and motioned to us that it was o.k. to jump and down which we did as the moment finally sunk in.

I was extremely priviledged to have been with the Corps that won the 1970 American Legion Championship, and '73 and '74 DCI Championships.  But none of those compare to '71 VFW and the moment that SCV achieved the status of "powerhouse" in the Drum Corps World.

71 VFW was awesome, but I still got the biggest on field thrill at Racine in 70 (which I have explained before). Biggest off field moment, (one of them anyway), "The Bernie Schwartz Show" in Needles CA also in 71!

71 VFW was awesome, but I still got the biggest on field thrill at Racine in 70 (which I have explained before). Biggest off field moment, (one of them anyway), "The Bernie Schwartz Show" in Needles CA also in 71!

I heard about the Bernie Schwartz show. Tom Eshenfelder(sp?) wasn't it? Do you know how he is doing? How about Beth Ethel Barnes and Zeke Billigan? Do you remember them? Zeke played third soprano for like a hundred years and Beth was his girlfriend. Man, off the field those were good times hearing those stories.

Mike Braga

SCV 1973 - 1975

Anaheim Kingsmen 1976 - 1978

SCV TOR 2004

Edited by Tansea

I heard about the Bernie Schwartz show. Tom Eshenfelder(sp?) wasn't it? Do you know how he is doing? How about Beth Ethel Barnes and Zeke Billigan? Do you remember them? Zeke played third soprano  for like a hundred years and Beth was his girlfriend. Man, off the field those were good times hearing those stories.

Mike Braga

SCV 1973 - 1975

Anaheim Kingsmen 1976 - 1978

SCV TOR 2004

Chuck Messimer aka Bernie Schwartz played contra. He was quite a character and one of the corps “clowns”. Never saw him again after he left the corps. As far as Tom goes I believe he became a music teacher.

I do believe Charlie Anderson holds the record for number of years on third sop.

Speaking of Charlie Anderson . . .

One of my favorite moments comes from Charlie. In 1982, SCV was trailing BD all summer (and as you all know, this continued right through finals). About two weeks before finals, as we started rehearsal one morning, Charlie pulled us all together and told as a little tale. He said, "Last night I prayed to God. I told him, 'God, our balls are on the line here.' When I came out to the field this morning, I found these on the starting line." He then displayed to all of us two brightly colored miniature golf balls. He continued, "These are God's balls. For the rest of tour, whoever wants to be the role model for the rest of the corps, to give it their all that day can come and ask me for God's balls to carry with them during rehearsal."

We may not have won the championship that year, but you haven't felt power until you have carried God's balls around with you for awhile on a hot summer practice field.

Other great moments -

Playing Clowns with Gail Royer conducting after our win in 1981. Having the honor of playing that song for that man meant as much (probably more) than winning.

Playing "You'll Never Walk Alone" with Madison and Phantom.

Getting to play the Bottle Dance.

Being around to watch the genesis of the JONZ lines.

On the way home from tour, stopping and getting all the horns out and having a musical run-through in the Painted Desert just because it was such a beautiful place.

Charlie Anderson's bedtime stories.

Other great moments -

Playing Clowns with Gail Royer conducting after our win in 1981.  Having the honor of playing that song for that man meant as much (probably more) than winning.

Playing "You'll Never Walk Alone" with Madison and Phantom.

Getting to play the Bottle Dance.

Being around to watch the genesis of the JONZ lines.

On the way home from tour, stopping and getting all the horns out and having a musical run-through in the Painted Desert just because it was such a beautiful place.

Charlie Anderson's bedtime stories.

I understand what all this means, I am proud to have marched when I did, although I didn't march Vanguard!!

• 2 weeks later...

It's funny to read Maggie's account of SCV's "coming of age" in Dallas. Yes, VFW was the crowning achievement in all of drum corps. Every corps that won those champsionships still holds on to them.

DCI changed completely - I'll not say for the better or worse. First thing that went were inspections, then one by one, things got a little "looser."

A great moment. 1976 - Mile High Stadium. We defeated BD's to break their undefeated season and took top drums as well. It was great to see our name, and tops drums, flashing on that big score board.

1977. We were returning from southern tour. It had been a tough start, and we were gaining confidence every show. On Friday night July 8th, we lost to the Crossmen at their show. Demoralizing. Sat night July 9th, DCI East, we lost to Bridgemen, Phantom and Madison, humiliating. But we arrived home in Revere on Sunday morning, knowing well and good that we could win the CYO Nationals at Harvard Stadium. What a nice sound, to hear Dominic Bianculli announce, "......and in second place, the Bridgemen." We froze solid, there was only one more corps to announce.

Another fav was in 1980. Allentown - everyone knows the story. I was teaching this time. 27th handed BD one of the worse prelime defeats in their short history. Nearly three points, but it left a mark. I know I was as stunned as they were.