What's Your Best Memory of Drum Corps?

With everyone trying to remember names and dates on DCP recently, what was your best memory of an event during your drum corps career.

I'm looking for things like winning your first championship or whatever!!!!

Just spill you guts and do the best you can.

Edited by Old Dutch Boy Cadet

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I'm obviously horrible with dates... I'll just relay my memory.

The horn lines of SCV, Scouts, and Phantom all lined up, end zone to end zone, playing the last song of the night (Ohio? Colorado?). Anyway, it was AMAZING to see a member next to a member of another corps, next to another member of a different corps. And all playing in a truly magical summers night. And the beautiful melody being played made me cry. I thanked God that night that I had found drum corps.

BTW, I love this question.

It would have to be my first in 76, I think it was in Phoenix. They had the show on the baseball field for the SF Giants AAA minor league team. For those that either don't remember or know the Kingsmen uni's had a white piece of fabric across the front diagonally and there was attached to the center a chrome buckle so when you brought your horn to the center of your chest for parade rest the horn would hit the buckle and the entire line was in sync and "SNAPPING" properly it would almost sound like a rim shot. During the full corps retreat when the drum major called us to parade rest I was just like the other 45 or so drum corps rookies in our 52 man horn line and I was there to impress what ever other corps was beside us, as I crisply snapped my horn to the parade rest position I forgot to drop the horn down about 4 inches and smacked myself right in the mouth with my beautiful 6 1/2 AL mouthpiece knocking a front tooth right out and i had to spend the rest of first tour with a gapping hole in my grill till we got back home and I could get to a dentist. At least I was on beat with the snap. :rolleyes:

Calvin...

What's up??? I remember that. Didn't we sleep outside because it was so frigg'n hot? Do you talk to anyone else who marched with us?

Later.

Mike Braga

SCV 1973 - 1975

Anaheim Kingsmen 1976 - 1978

SCV TOR 2004

1971 VFW, Dallas TX.

Standing at the starting line and looking out over this vast field that had that misty look of humidity hanging over it, all you could see were these HUGE Texas sized bugs flitting back and forth all over the dang thing. (Funny what sticks in your mind).

I really don't remember doing the show. I remember however retreat and the moment they announced 2nd place going to those awesome Troopers. As trained, we (the guard) didn't move a muscle even though we had won the most prestigous of Championships for the first time. I could hear the horn and drumline going nuts behind us but I dared not move or face the rath of our Guard Captain. She finally turned to us with this big grin on her face and motioned to us that it was o.k. to jump and down which we did as the moment finally sunk in.

I was extremely priviledged to have been with the Corps that won the 1970 American Legion Championship, and '73 and '74 DCI Championships. But none of those compare to '71 VFW and the moment that SCV achieved the status of "powerhouse" in the Drum Corps World.

Edited by MsBusDriver

1971 VFW, Dallas TX.

Standing at the starting line (or starting "corner" for us) and looking out over this vast field that had that misty look of humidity hanging over it.  And all you could see were these HUGE Texas sized bugs flitting back and forth all over the dang thing.  (Funny what sticks in your mind). 

I really don't remember doing the show.  I remember however retreat and the moment they announced 2nd place going to those awesome Troopers.  As trained, we (the guard) didn't move a muscle even though we had won the most prestigous of Championships for the first time.  I could hear the horn and drumline going nuts behind us but I dared not move or face the rath of our Guard Captain.  She finally turned to us with this big grin on her face and motioned to us that it was o.k. to jump and down which we did as the moment finally sunk in.

I've was extremely priviledged to have been with the Corps that won the 1970 American Legion Championship, and '73 and '74 DCI Championships.  But none of those compare to '71 VFW and the moment that SCV achieved the status of "powerhouse" in the Drum Corps World.

As far as I was concerned you guys always were a powerhouse, but the first time I saw Santa Clara Vanguard do the BOTTLE DANCE in person I went absolutely

bizzerk, crying and saying to my friends, "NOW that is what drum corps is about!!!!"

Corps doing moves that get the crowd off their seats and showing their appreciation for a great job.

Thanks Vanguard for one of the most emotional moments in my drum corps career.

As far as I was concerned you guys always were a powerhouse, but the first time I saw Santa Clara Vanguard do the BOTTLE DANCE in person I went absolutely

bizzerk, crying and saying to my friends, "NOW that is what drum corps is about!!!!"

Corps doing moves that get the crowd off their seats and showing their appreciation for a great job.

Thanks Vanguard for one of the most emotional moments in my drum corps career.

Hey, thanks for the compliment. But, just like everyone else, we had to "prove" that we weren't just another rinky-dink Corps from California. It was tough to prove to the dominant corps (and judges) of the East and Midwest that we weren't just a flash in the pan. '71 was that proof.

Oh, and speaking of the Bottle Dance. Being a "flag" I didn't get to do it those early years, only the rifle line did. But, my next greatest memory is at Madison 2002 DCI and marching in the Alumni Corps. At the age of 47 I got to do it for the first time and the sound and sight of that mighty Madison crowds standing "O" will stay with me for the rest of my life.

The one moment I remember the best was when the Dutch Boy Cadets went to Germany in 1974. I think we were the first North American drum corps to go to Europe but I could be wrong.

We went on an eight day tour of southern Germany, Munich and the Black Forest area. Our first show was at a soccer game between Bayern Munich and another team. we had just come off an eight hour flight and had major jet lag. (it was three o'clock in the morning our time, 1 pm their time)

I was one of the first corps members to enter the stadium and I just about peed

myself with excitement. We were used to doing shows for about two thousand people, well today we had just a couple thousand more than that. By the time the whole corps was in the Olympic Stadium in Munich, I couldn't see an empty seat.

By the way the stadium holds 80,000 people.

Let me tell you, our drum major called us to attention and I noticed WE WERE ON TV. (That's quite a thrill for a corps whose average is was about fifteen.) After we

were done, we received the loudest standing ovation I have EVER heard. There was one section, about five thousand people chanting CA NA DA, CA NA DA. You could see the chest of every kid in the corps expand by a few inches with pride.

I spent a good half hour just standing outside our buses crying it was so emotionally draining, but what a GREAT feeling.

You talk about national pride, I have never been prouder of MY drum corps than at that point. We received that same reception everywhere we went on the rest of the tour, which for exceded any other tour I've been on since.

Not that this is my BEST memory, but I'll put up an early one, so that I can taunt some of the DCP "old farts"!!!!!!!! :P

7/3/75 FIRECRACKER PAGEANT West Bend, WI

1. Marquis 67.20

2. Americanos 62.70

3. Royal Knights 58.90

4. Royal Chevaliers 57.55

5. Windjammers 44.05

6. Scarlet Knights 44.00

7. Seneca Princemen 35.05

8. Blackhawk Voyageurs 25.45

Check out uncle z there in 3rd place!!!!! :)

Could that be mobrien in 6th??? 0wned!!!!

Who took last, Dmreal??? Ha Ha!!! B)