What's Your Best Memory of Drum Corps?

First saw Bottle Dance at Stillwater, MN....DONE IN THE MUD!! Show was rained out but SCV did a run-through in green garbage bags....I'd left NorCal in 72 while Fiddler music was strong and, of course, had seen Bottle Dance in the movie, but when the horn line hit the beginning licks and the guard hooked up and started dropping, I went through the roof! I was down by the sidelines right in front of them and somehow doing bottle dance in that mud seemed like the most perfect thing I'd ever seen in drum corps......(OK, 71 Alice and Troopers 71 sunburst were highlights, too!): tempo and movement and in-the-moment emotion just all fit!

And, still to this day, when I watch those old vids and I know "....here it comes....." I get a rush and a tear in my eye and a little choked up to witness Bottle Dance.

I like a lot of other stuff, but I would have to put Bottle Dance at the top, I think...

...and in the mud it was purely transcendental!

RON HOUSLEY

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First saw Bottle Dance at Stillwater, MN....DONE IN THE MUD!!  Show was rained out but SCV did a run-through in green garbage bags....I'd left NorCal in 72 while Fiddler music was strong and, of course, had seen Bottle Dance in the movie, but when the horn line hit the beginning licks and the guard hooked up and started dropping, I went through the roof!  I was  down by the sidelines right in front of them and somehow doing bottle dance in that mud seemed like the most perfect thing I'd ever seen in drum corps......(OK, 71 Alice and Troopers 71 sunburst were highlights, too!): tempo and movement and in-the-moment emotion just all fit!

And, still to this day, when I watch those old vids and I know "....here it comes....." I get a rush and a tear in my eye and a little choked up to witness Bottle Dance.

I like a lot of other stuff, but I would have to put Bottle Dance at the top, I think...

...and in the mud it was purely transcendental!

RON HOUSLEY

I remember that show!!! They were Texaco garbage bags, with a big red star on the front. I couldn't remember the name of the town when I was relating that story a few months ago, so thanks Ron. I played cymbals and when we went up to the snares for the bottle dance we knelt in front of them, especially poingant in the rain.

Thanks for that memory Ron.

Love this question and hope you don't mind one from the Senior side:

American Legion Championships at New Orleans 1978. Only Westshoremen and Chicago Connection did the Senior competition but Westshoremen won it. Might not sound like much (we came in 9th at DCA) but this was my fourth year in corps and the previous years were rough but improving:

1973 - corps was inactive

1974 - DCA Prelims was only our second show all season and we came in last

(also set the record for lowest DCA score up to that point 37.35)

1975 - came in last place EVERY show until the week before DCA

1976 - missed DCA Finals but on the album

1977 - made finals first time since '70 or '71

For four years we felt we were getting better but still a second class corps. Now we had a freaking major title (and orange flag) to our name no matter that we only beat one corps.

But the best memory is what Chicago Connection did when we won....

THEY APPLAUDED US :worthy::wub:

Talked to some of their guys later and it wasn't an act. They actually were glad one fo the "other" corps took it. :)

Other great moments -

Playing Clowns with Gail Royer conducting after our win in 1981.  Having the honor of playing that song for that man meant as much (probably more) than winning.

Playing "You'll Never Walk Alone" with Madison and Phantom.

Getting to play the Bottle Dance.

Being around to watch the genesis of the JONZ lines.

On the way home from tour, stopping and getting all the horns out and having a musical run-through in the Painted Desert just because it was such a beautiful place.

Charlie Anderson's bedtime stories.

Ah yes, YOU are a part of my own favourite memory! Is THAT COOL OR WHAT??? :)

Hard to choose a "best" memory, but one that stands out is remembering Rod Goodhart throwing up his clipboard in frustration after following our section around way too long looking for a tic that wasn't gonna happen. There's nothing like getting the best of a judge!

I remember that show!!! They were Texaco garbage bags, with a big red star on the front. I couldn't remember the name of the town when I was relating that story a few months ago, so thanks Ron. I played cymbals and when we went up to the snares for the bottle dance we knelt in front of them, especially poingant in the rain.

Thanks for that memory Ron.

The first time we wore Texaco Garbage bags and shorts was in Cheyenne WY '72. My mom was a Chaperone at the time and I think it was she who suggested to Gail that we wear them to do the show in the rain while everyone else was doing a standstill in the Gym. The audience went absolutely wild and the chant of "Go Go Texaco!" followed us through the rest of the season.

Oh, and Ron, I bet you just like to watch girls do all kinds of things in the mud! :P ^_^

All in all... my favorite memory would be second tour in 77 with Nortstars. Despite some "disagreements" between our instructional staff and the corps director, the best part was definately Boulder/Denver. Getting up for rehearsal and seeing the fog rising up off the mountains, our first ever perlims show in the University Stadium in Denver, watching finals from "way up there" at Mile High Stadium... the whole experience was amazing. ^OO^