some old corps photos

I noticed whenever I'm in a group photo, even today, my chin is up just a LITTLE bit too high. (Like I'm projecting to the GE Box). A couple of theatrical directors have given me a note about this...

Well since Zingali and company used to yell, to put our horns to the box, that might be the reason... :P He used to always emphasize that "It's all in your posture". He would tell me you could get away with alot as long as your posture was projecting how it was supposed to be.

It was Little Rock, AK '79. I think Bill Clinton stopped by practice to look for some hoochies in the guard. :P

IIRC, the temp hit 104 degrees that day......some corps members hyped by wearing long pants and sweatshirts to practice that day......probably led by Schultzie!!!! :laugh:

104? Is that all?

The Phoenix, AZ, show in 1990 had daytime temperatures of 126. They had to shut down Sky Harbor airport because the tarmac was melting, and they weren't sure if the thinner air would provide enough lift for aircraft to take off safely.

VK cancelled practice by 9:00AM. A lot of the corps' members went to the movies, if for no other reason than A/C. There were several Freelancers across the aisle, IIRC.

Still well into the triple digits by showtime that evening.

Garry in Vegas

Bump

The Phoenix, AZ, show in 1990 had daytime temperatures of 126. They had to shut down Sky Harbor airport because the tarmac was melting, and they weren't sure if the thinner air would provide enough lift for aircraft to take off safely.

That was the day I decided to move to San Diego. It was 126 at the airport but in (at the time) desolate North Phx, where I was working, it was more like 130. Definitely a "driving with oven mitts" day. Couldn't even wear my sunglasses cause the heat caught behind the lenses and burned my eyes!

Was the show at Phoenix College that year, or out in Mesa? I had previously worked with and actually helped found Arizona Sun (who were still running the show at that time, I think).. and it was never fun standing in the parking lot directing traffic or at the gates taking tickets. Valley Brass Classic was what we called it, I think..

And as a native, you were used to it staying in the 100s overnight.. you learned tricks like dousing your sheets with water and sleeping with the fan blowing on you.. Arizona is the reason I can't take really hot showers -- even in winter.

sorry guys, I know that has nothing whatsoever to do with drum corps but what memories!

Stef

Edited by ScribeToo

How 'bout an old uncle z photo???

Check out the sweet 80s tinted glasses!!!

post-3-1172126960.jpg

grrrrrrr!! :drool:

did somebody finally go raid Neil's basement?!

p.s. nice v-neck pullover, honey! that's smokin' hot!!

:drool:

104? Is that all?

Garry in Vegas

Oh....goody. Something to look forward to on tour this year <**> .

Last summer, when the corps was practicing in Augusta, KS, the temperature reached 109. Inside the food truck, it was 128 degrees. I cannot imagine what the truck will be like if it is 120+ in Phoenix this summer. :huh:

Oh....goody. Something to look forward to on tour this year <**> .

Last summer, when the corps was practicing in Augusta, KS, the temperature reached 109. Inside the food truck, it was 128 degrees. I cannot imagine what the truck will be like if it is 120+ in Phoenix this summer. :grouphug:

..and i've been in that cooktruck..

stay hydrated and I know it'll be hard to do, but plan cooling off periods where whoever is in the truck takes 10 or 15 minutes and goes into the school where the A/C is on.. get your body temp down. We used to make fun of tourists who'd come into town and not respect the extreme heat and lack of humidity by pushing themselves too hard.. they'd be the ones passing out at the mall .. it's easy to get very sick from the heat.

at least you've got a shower in there.. maybe it won't be full of Powerade and you can jump in and douse your head with cool water periodically..

Oh yeah.. and stay away from the jumping cactus.

..and i've been in that cooktruck..

stay hydrated and I know it'll be hard to do, but plan cooling off periods where whoever is in the truck takes 10 or 15 minutes and goes into the school where the A/C is on.. get your body temp down. We used to make fun of tourists who'd come into town and not respect the extreme heat and lack of humidity by pushing themselves too hard.. they'd be the ones passing out at the mall .. it's easy to get very sick from the heat.

at least you've got a shower in there.. maybe it won't be full of Powerade and you can jump in and douse your head with cool water periodically..

Oh yeah.. and stay away from the jumping cactus.

Jumping cactus :grouphug: ???

Edited by noneofyourbusiness