some old corps photos

Anyone have Sky Ryder Pics from 1985 the 1st OZ show?

I keep seeing corps from 85 being pictured that I know we marched against in that year.

I'd also like to get hold of visual recording of 85 and 86 to see what was improved on or changed.

I know we had a moving tornado formation going across the field I thought was cool in 85 I don't remember if it was left in for 86 or not.

We fell short a little in 85 and I'm glad they stuck with the same show theme in 86 I'm just still kicking myself for not getting the loan to March that 86.

Edited by Kansan

1983 program advertisement, Bridgemen

1983-promotion1-a.jpg

Percussionists I used to know said that Paiste cymbals sounded like pie tins.

1983 program advertisement, Madison Scouts

1983-promotion2-a.jpg

Those guys up there would be these same guys here:

Madisoncymline82.jpg

I've posted this pic many times, but they were a great plate line and some hysterical guys. Jim Latimer went on to be a terrific timpanist for the Scouts.

Percussionists I used to know said that Paiste cymbals sounded like pie tins.

The short story of what happened in 1982 with a few plate lines was that Paiste reps showed up to several shows just prior to DCI in Montreal with just a ton of product to give out to any of the top 12 who would bite. We did, and it was quite a difference from the Zidjians we had been using all year. The Paiste cymbals had a much more metallic sounding "ping" to them, and there was far more definition in the cymbal ride parts we had. If you listen to the recording, you can really hear the "swing" style beat in "Slaughter on 10th Ave." and some really driving rides in "Strawberry Soup." The resulting effect was dramatic over the toney Zildjians, which had a lusher sound, but not so much "ping" to them. But we also suffered in execution, as can clearly be heard on the recordings, because we didn't have enough time to really practice with those Paiste's before "the big show" and some cleanliness issues exist on the cymbal ride passages from us in 1982.

In todays drum corps, that wouldn't have been held against us. But in 1982 it showed up on the "tick" sheet... :tongue:

Edited by GGarrett

BD. 1983. My dad got good seats for the afternoon, yes?

Slide138.jpg

Madison 83. Starting line. Colas Bruegnon.

Slide137.jpg

27. Wheel me, Danny.

Slide136.jpg

Uh Yes! :smile: I'd say! :smile:

I've posted this pic many times, but they were a great plate line and some hysterical guys. Jim Latimer went on to be a terrific timpanist for the Scouts.

Wan't he the guy faking it on soprano in the 83 version of Strawberry Soup.....the one with the MAJOR closup?

I wondered for YEARS how in the hell he could play with barely any upper lip on the mouthpiece....until someone told me he was a drummer filling a sop hole for that part of the show!

Here's a couple of pictures I dug out when I was home recently.

GoodfellowCorps-1970-1.jpg

Goodfellow AFB Drum & Bugle Corps - 1970

GoodfellowCorpsontheStreet-1970-1.jpg

Goodfellow Corps in a parade in San Angelo, TX - 1970

Goldpin:

Those are great! Please post more!

Sally

Here's a couple of pictures I dug out when I was home recently.

GoodfellowCorps-1970-1.jpg

Goodfellow AFB Drum & Bugle Corps - 1970

GoodfellowCorpsontheStreet-1970-1.jpg

Goodfellow Corps in a parade in San Angelo, TX - 1970

Oh man...ladder lacing on the footwear...THAT brings back memories!

And marching in jump boots....OY!!!!

Is that a NAVY guy on the front row, far right? Who let a Squid into an AF group??? :smile:

Wonder how many of those guys got sent to 'Nam....