some old corps photos

IMG_3225.jpg

AHHHH...all 10 Legion National Championship flags!

AHHHH...all 10 Legion National Championship flags!

And look! Is that an American Flag … Old Glory!? As I live and breathe!

Puppet

81-unk.jpg

What happen to those beautiful cadet style uniforms the corps had in the late 70s? This uniform whacks it compared to the cadet uniform you use to wear.

Dale

My father was the founder and Executive Director of the Long Island Kingsmen from 1964-1980. After the success of the corps in the late '70's and 1980, a group of overzealous parents felt they could do a better job than him and got control of the corps through a wacked out court case in the winter of 80-81. They changed the unform and quite a few other things for the 1981 season to make sure people knew it was not the same group, lost most of the experienced members to corps like the Bridgemen, 27th, Blue Devils, Troopers, etc., and proceeded to place 36th at DCI after we placed 16th in 1980. From there it went down hill......

My father was the founder and Executive Director of the Long Island Kingsmen from 1964-1980. After the success of the corps in the late '70's and 1980, a group of overzealous parents felt they could do a better job than him and got control of the corps through a wacked out court case in the winter of 80-81. They changed the unform and quite a few other things for the 1981 season to make sure people knew it was not the same group, lost most of the experienced members to corps like the Bridgemen, 27th, Blue Devils, Troopers, etc., and proceeded to place 36th at DCI after we placed 16th in 1980. From there it went down hill......

Ugh, sad story. Just goes to show how easy armchair management is, and how it ain't as easy at it looks once you get into the nitty gritty. My condolences, as that must've been awful for you and your father.

These are from 1982 Whitewater prelims. Phantom is doing year 2 of Sparticus; Bayonne is performing the NYNY show.

edit: for some reasom it only shows the last 4 or so photos, but I am referring to the complete post.

What's with the outfit on that judge in the Spirit shot? Arrived late to the show from the beach or what?

Edited by bedford

Every single story about an Eastern Corps folding just hits me like hammer. They're all so sad.

Puppet