some old corps photos

2corpsphotos9097.jpg

Isn't that our own adorable DCPer Steve Groh on the rightmost Tymp...( and Kenny McKay[ AKA Giant] on the leftmost)...

1971 27th Lancers is my favorite Lancer CorpS. I can still hear Wes hobby "and when the competetive dust had settled at Manning Bowl, the 27th Lancers were Wold Open Champions !!!!!!!

ps... I hated the counterweights on the tymps.. some chiropractor's idea

Hehehe... adorable.... No one but my mom ever said that about me, you're not dating my mom by any chance, are you, John?

A couple corrections about the ID's in that picture. The unknown tenor was the one and only, how could anyone ever forget, DAN DENNEHY! (Daaaaaannnnnn....)

The 2 man cymbal line was the best executing, and most humble subsection of the entire battery. If you look at the hands holding the left side cymbal, you will see that one of them is slightly darker than the other. Those two professionals were Ric Manning and Keith Maynard, aka, salt and pepper.

adorable....hehehehe.

counterweights $uck

Sorry I took so long to get back on this, but I can confirm that both pictures are General Butler Vagabonds, 1978. Only the rifle line had "gaucho" style pants and yes, the bass drummers wore aussies, confirmed by one of the bass drummers that year.

corpsphotosll005-1.jpg

2corpsphotos5082.jpg

That just might be me in the sop line in the bottom pic, either 2nd or 4th from left.

Edited by steelcityrabbit

I don't think that this is the GBV's. If you look real close in the backround, the colorguard is wearing what appears to be gaucho style pants. Up until 1981, the guard wore the traditional skirt with black boots. Also, I don't recall a timbali player being in the line during those years. Anyone else have any ideas on who this corps might be?
This clearly shows the bass drummer wearing a Madison Scout type hat, not a shako. I don't recall the bass drum line wearing this style of hat, however, I could be wrong, that was 30 years ago. Also, there seems to be a likeness of some of the snares. The guy towards the left with the frizzy hair looks like Jim Reese and another looks like Scott Koter. I will get positive ID ASAP, thanks for the pics Fleabag.

See what posting these old photos can do, You see things you never even noticed or paid attention to back then.

Or, as your second post mentions, it was so long ago that you forgot, which might mean someone is getting old and senile! :tongue::lol:

Just kidding!

Thanks for confirming these two photos as 78.

1971 was a completely great year for all the eastern corps. But 27th kicked everybody to the curb that July.

World Open

Danny Thomas Invitational then the Dream the next week.

Couldn't stop 'em!

Puppet

Puppet, you are so right, 71 was a great year and what shows 27th did not win Blue Rock did, US Open, CYO, NJ VFW State.

But, a couple of those Western corps got a little payback at VFW Nationals.

That World Open show had a great lineup, about a 7 point difference between 1st and 12th at prelims, VFW prelims were the same way, 6 points between 1st and 14th.

One heck of a competitive year with quality corps from top to bottom!

Puppet, you are so right, 71 was a great year and what shows 27th did not win Blue Rock did, US Open, CYO, NJ VFW State.

But, a couple of those Western corps got a little payback at VFW Nationals.

That World Open show had a great lineup, about a 7 point difference between 1st and 12th at prelims, VFW prelims were the same way, 6 points between 1st and 14th.

One heck of a competitive year with quality corps from top to bottom!

And the big let down for us that year was the World Open. We just fell apart at the prelims. 16th Place - Came back though at the Danny Thomas Invitational the next day … that's mello me on the left in the front rank.

WestPoint1971.jpg

This is a shot of the horn line just after Woodstock beginning our exit West Point Alma Mater.

TheBox.jpg

40 horns the contras off to the side being arrested for attacking the American flag section - I think I have a shot of the rifle section in their gas masks. What a great day after the day before… sigh. Oh, to be young again.

Puppet

Edited by Puppet

Argonne Rebels 1971

2corpsphotos9098.jpg

Wow, look at those foot positions on the high knee lift! :satisfied: