some old corps photos

This is a bad ### pic. I wish I could have seen this show.

Those guys both look like they're about 50.

1971 World Open Champs 27th Lancers

2corpsphotos9105.jpg

I would love to have some 27th alum explain exactly what function the guy in the white helmet and red jacket served. I dont remember if he ever did any backfield conducting, it seems his job was to walk around the field arm swinging with his swagger stick, I guess adding to the color and interest of the group.

I would love to have some 27th alum explain exactly what function the guy in the white helmet and red jacket served. I dont remember if he ever did any backfield conducting, it seems his job was to walk around the field arm swinging with his swagger stick, I guess adding to the color and interest of the group.

LancerLegend can probably give a better version but here's my schpeel.

Their titles were Marching Majors (as in drum majors). They represented the three distinct factions of the British Empire ( look it up in a history book). I only know one was Danny Boy for Ireland. George Zingali actually marched as one of these in 1972 (I think). :satisfied:

Edited by john2780

LancerLegend can probably give a better version but here's my schpeel.

Their titles were Marching Majors (as in drum majors). They represented the three distinct factions of the British Empire ( look it up in a history book). I only know one was Danny Boy for Ireland. George Zingali actually marched as one of these in 1972 (I think). :satisfied:

Your close John. They really were symbols of different countries in Great Britain. CYO Nationals in 1971 was their debut, just absolutly tore the place apart that night.

Tim Higgins was the original "Marching Major (and marched until 1973). Frankie Campisanno(?) was Danny Boy and Bobby Cassidy was Wee Willie McGregor (which then Kevin Flynn in 1972 and then George Zangali in 1973. Boy did George keep us entertained at many a rehearsal.

The sop is Jack Clancy I believe. He aged out at the end of 1971.

Both John2780 and DPEmerald captured the spirit of the pic.

When the Immaculate Conception Church in Revere decided to end their support for their parish drum corps, many of the members wanted to continue. George Bonfiglio was one of the managers and about a dozen members met at his home to plead their case to start a new corps. In the course of the discussions, someone asked what the name of the corps would be? Literally playing on tv at that exact moment was the Errol Flynn movie "Charge of the Light Brigade." With the valor and courage of these members watching, Errol Flynn proclaimed "the 27th Lancers are reporting for duty" and "into the valley of death rode the 600," thus, the corps' name was born.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charge_of_the_Light_Brigade

It was a serious gamble. For all intents and purposes, the corps could have been alienated by so many organizations, but it survived thanks to the ambition and heart of many great people. Contrary to popular belief, the corps true theme song is The Impossible Deam, not Danny Boy. I was fortunate to have marched with 6 of the remaining originals in 1973 - as did DPEmerald.

As the corps developed its theme from that fall of 1967, the opportunities were also there from music to uniforms and the heraldry and corps emblem on the drums.

What you are seeing in that picture, is the part of the show which feature a bugle call, who was guarded by our pith helmeted marching major. The marching majors served no other purpose than to bring honor and respect to the four British Isles - England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales. The picture was taken immediately before concert, "calling" the corps into a formation.

In 1972, Duffy Silk was a 4th marching major, but his primary job was to directed the concert medley. He wore a dark green Eisenhower jacket with a tam o'shanter hat, black pants and spats.

In 1973, at the Pizza Hut in Janesville, WI right after DCI finals, many members of the corps watched George Zingali stand on a table and perform his Irish jig.

In 1974, Ken "Giant" McKay was the red jacketed/pith helmeted marching major, and Jack Langois marched as the Wee MacGregor. We did not march a "Danny Boy."

In August 1975, Merv Griffin open his show featuring the 27th Lancers a few days before DCI Finals. Victor Borge emerged from the corps, pretending to be one of the drum majors.

drmr27 was the only contributor here that marched during that 1971 season. :satisfied:

Edited by LancerLegend

Both John2780 and DPEmerald captured the spirit of the pic.

What you are seeing in that picture, is the part of the show which feature a bugle call, who was guarded by our pith helmeted marching major. The marching majors served no other purpose than to bring honor and respect to the four British Isles - England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales. The picture was taken immediately before concert, "calling" the corps into a formation.

drmr27 was the only contributor here that marched during that 1971 season. :satisfied:

Guys, this is the stuff that really makes this thread so great!

When we can see and name people we know or knew in these photos, when we see things we forgot all about or when we can find out all kinds of great info like LancerLegends post two back!

I remember seeing the marching majors each of those years but if I heard that story back then I had forgot all about it now.

Thanks LancerLegend, John2780 and DPEmerald for commenting on the photos, these comments really give the photos some life.

And the big let down for us that year was the World Open. We just fell apart at the prelims. 16th Place - Came back though at the Danny Thomas Invitational the next day … that's mello me on the left in the front rank.

WestPoint1971.jpg

This is a shot of the horn line just after Woodstock beginning our exit West Point Alma Mater.

TheBox.jpg

40 horns the contras off to the side being arrested for attacking the American flag section - I think I have a shot of the rifle section in their gas masks. What a great day after the day before… sigh. Oh, to be young again.

Puppet

Puppet,

Great pics!

You cats rocked!

I was at both shows you mention above and your show was one of my favorite ones. I will never forget it.

The colored smokebombs/teargas, the attack, the roitgear and the rifles, sirens and whistles, the arrest, that show rocked! :thumbup:

That show really pulled you into it.

Some nice formations too, the cross, the w

I also caught you at US Open 71 where you brought the house down (I was one of the many standing and going nuts)

It along with your 72 show are right up there with some of the best in my opinion. (had your 72 show on a "best of" homemade tape that I wore out playing so much)

I still listen to these shows a good bit!

Your hornlines were balanced and good, nice lower end, your drumlines were very good, the rifles outstanding.

Great corps and one of my all time favs! :satisfied:

Edited by fleabag

Blue Devils around 1976.

BlueDevilscoverDCWAug271976.jpg