some old corps photos

Here are Freelancers from 1985:

1985freelancersguard.jpg

1985freelancers.jpg

(Sorry about the bad scan; my scanner doesn't seem to have an option for smoothing out the dots.)

I was sure I had a photo somewhere of the guard in a closeup shot (I thought in mid-toss of that odd contraption they spun/tossed/carried around), but I can't seem to find it anywhere. The interesting thing is that the guard and corps were quite good (as always), but the uniforms just didn't really suit them, IMO . . . to the point of distracting rather than enhancing the show. (Boy, do I know that feeling!)

However, from a distance, the uniforms don't look too bad. (By the way, the corps wore spats that year. Seems to me there was a spats-related thread somewhere.) The site which shall not be named has high-cam footage, and the corps actually looks and sounds good. (I have the "Legacy" DVD, but it's the mixed edit from the telecast.)

Speaking of Freelancers, there are some nice photos of them here: Freelancers thread on Les Chatelaines' website

Thanks Sue. I aged out in '84, and my only exposure to that uniform was when I dropped by a camp in June of '85 and someone was proudly showing them off, and I was like...OK...

I couldn't fathom why my old corps would change what was arguably the baddest (best) uniform in DCI. I don't think I saw the guard uniforms at the time, but agree, they are kind of funky.

How old is that kid carrying the vibes??? Yikes!

Loved those Xmen capes, and Phantom's, too. Nobody has them any more, do they? I guess it might make it kind of hard to jazz run.

Yes.

LOL, short and to the point. Thanks! :sleeping:

Thanks Sue. I aged out in '84, and my only exposure to that uniform was when I dropped by a camp in June of '85 and someone was proudly showing them off, and I was like...OK...

I couldn't fathom why my old corps would change what was arguably the baddest (best) uniform in DCI. I don't think I saw the guard uniforms at the time, but agree, they are kind of funky.

Actually, the guard uniform looks better in this photo than the one I'm remembering (but can't find). The black section of the pants flared out a bit around the hips and thighs, and maybe that's why it stands out in my mind. I can only imagine how I would've looked in it, since that never was the better part of my figure. I wanted to wear things to hide that, not accentuate it.

Edited by byline

I thought that was Bill Martinez, Nancy. I didn't want to mis-identlfy anybody. And I feel bad not knowing the drummers...or a lot of the guard girls in a couple other pictures.

RON HOUSLEY

img154after.jpg

Of the guard that can be viewed in this picture:

I believe that's Sasha on the far right background in the bleached denims and "Big" Nancy (I was called "Little Nancy") in the middle between Wayne and Bill.

Nancy

Edited by neholgate

That's a marimba.

I believe that it's a young lady, if my memory serves me correctly.

And by "serves me correctly," I mean it writes down my order, delivers it in a timely fashion, checks with me at regular intervals, offers dessert options, and doesn't ask me if I want change back.

Kathy was petite. I think she was around 17. Thom Hannum, Rick Kawecki, Chris Thompson and Dale Adair was doing the percussion line that year.