some old corps photos

Lynwood Diplomats

2corpsphotos9114.jpg

Any idea what year this is?

Blue Devils 1979

2corpsphotos9112.jpg

Judging from the lack of 'plummage', it must have been raining...

I can’t attend De La Salle Oakland Crusaders and Dutch Boy Cadets reunions. When I moved to Kitchener-Waterloo Sept. 1974, I was welcomed by the drum corps community and in particular Ventures and Dutch Boy Cadets. Oktoberfest was/is fun.

Russ (De La Salle) and I (Seneca) were about 19 when we started as ‘visual’ staff for the Cadets who were maybe average age 13 at the time. Russ would drive from Toronto to K-W. We’d have dinner and discuss a rehearsal plan. I’d sometimes ride back to T.O. We talked about how well the ‘kids’ did and enthusiastically planned the next practice. We’d then look at each other as if to say, “We’re kinda like kids too”.

From Salute to 50 publication, September 4 1976, Canadian Nationals held in Kitchener-Waterloo.

1976-2-a.jpg

Dutch Boy drum major on the right is Dean Mooney - best man at our wedding.

kel

On behalf of the 1976 Dutch Boy Cadets, thanks for all you did for our colour guard LINDA !!!

My pleasure. I enjoyed working with the Dutch Boy Cadets. Give Jody a hug from me, say hello to all, have fun and send me photos :smile:

Re: The Diplomats.

That would be the year that I taught the hornline and arranged a couple of the songs: 1971.

The sabre on the left is my ex-wife and still best woman friend, Jacquie.

The picture was in Steve Vickers' "History of Drum and Bugle Corps: Vol I."

RON HOUSLEY

And it appeared many years before that in the August 1971 issue of Drum Corps Digest.