some old corps photos

Hmm...Frank...are you referring to the 71 WO? According to corpsreps you were around 5 points from making finals, so don't feel so bad about the flag violations!

Hey, we missed finals at the first DCI by 1/2 a tenth...with 1.8 in penalties!

Hey, that's pretty much what I said. We would have come in 13th or 14th.

Puppet

27th Lancers Drum Major Duffy Silk and C.G. Captain Hein Thomas

2corpsphotos9116.jpg

Fleabag, you have outdone yourself.

God bless her soul - Helen Thomas Flanagan passed away in the early 1970's. Director George Bonfiglio initiated an award starting in 1975 in memory of her. The award was given to a woman in the guard that exemplified all that was good and sacred about being a 27th Lancer - it is easier to get into heaven than to earn that award. Her Mother Mary, a nurse, would go on tour with the corps to help take care of our aches and pains.

I was with Duffy this past June while attending Patsy Bonfiglio's wake and funeral. He is a sacred cow in my eyes and personifies what being a 27th Lancer is all about.

Hey, I think this is my sister! I'll send it to her and find out.

Thanks Sue!

You're welcome, Lee! (Though it makes me even sadder that I didn't keep the originals. Oh, well.)

God bless her soul - Helen Thomas Flanagan passed away in the early 1970's. Director George Bonfiglio initiated an award starting in 1975 in memory of her. The award was given to a woman in the guard that exemplified all that was good and sacred about being a 27th Lancer - it is easier to get into heaven than to earn that award. Her Mother Mary, a nurse, would go on tour with the corps to help take care of our aches and pains.

I was with Duffy this past June while attending Patsy Bonfiglio's wake and funeral. He is a sacred cow in my eyes and personifies what being a 27th Lancer is all about.

That is a sad but great story and the girls that did earn that award must have felt a great deal of pride and honor in doing so.

Its these kind of storys that bring these photos to life and why I enjoy putting them up! :tongue:

Duffy and Bill Ronayne and Rich LaCamera were the standards by which I set my goals as a member. Many would follow, but few would lead the way they did. Mary Flanagan is a woman who I regard as a saint. She gave her all for the corps behind the scenes like few did. God bless.

I can’t attend De La Salle Oakland Crusaders and Dutch Boy Cadets reunions. When I moved to Kitchener-Waterloo Sept. 1974, I was welcomed by the drum corps community and in particular Ventures and Dutch Boy Cadets. Oktoberfest was/is fun.

Russ (De La Salle) and I (Seneca) were about 19 when we started as ‘visual’ staff for the Cadets who were maybe average age 13 at the time. Russ would drive from Toronto to K-W. We’d have dinner and discuss a rehearsal plan. I’d sometimes ride back to T.O. We talked about how well the ‘kids’ did and enthusiastically planned the next practice. We’d then look at each other as if to say, “We’re kinda like kids too”.

From Salute to 50 publication, September 4 1976, Canadian Nationals held in Kitchener-Waterloo.

1976-2-a.jpg