some old corps photos

Ron Menke and Rick Odello, circa 1977. That's some major helmet hair going on there, Rick!....

RonandRick.jpg

Jim Centorino displaying a little humor:

JimCentorino.jpg

LMAO, too bad this one ain't in color.....

Someone was recording that night. I want copies! :smile:

Looking again... don't think someone is covered by the flag - that must've been when Paul was sick. IIRC the flu/stomach virus went raging through the corps. We were in line walking to the starting line and people were "releasing" behind the bleachers on the back sideline. Was that too much information?

Sorry :thumbdown:

The arch-rivals of the White Stallions, the Black Stallions!

TheBlackStallions-1.jpg

Since we never had an actual horse, I'd have preferred marching in front - not behind them, if you know what I mean... <g>

Yeah, corps today have it easy! (Old man voice..) I remember back in the day, we did probably 1000 parades every year. And when we had to follow horses, we marched through it. None of this, marching around it stuff to keep from messing up the shoes. No way! That's how it otter be done.

Yeah, corps today have it easy! (Old man voice..) I remember back in the day, we did probably 1000 parades every year. And when we had to follow horses, we marched through it. None of this, marching around it stuff to keep from messing up the shoes. No way! That's how it otter be done.

When I was in corps back in Kansas City, we marched the American Royal Parade. LOTSA livestock in that one - it's pretty difficult marching up a steep hill in the rain with "meadow muffins" all over the street...

When I was in corps back in Kansas City, we marched the American Royal Parade. LOTSA livestock in that one - it's pretty difficult marching up a steep hill in the rain with "meadow muffins" all over the street...

I'd have been surprised if you didn't end up on your back side sliding back down the hill!

I thought that might be Alan. Even though he's dressing center, he's still looking at you like you're nuts.

This photo (and the rest of the hair photos I posted) came from the BD yearbooks so it's likely the photographer was Bob Fields.

I have fond memories of our time at Hatboro-Horsham HS; my first two years at DCI and I had no idea why all these strangers would show up to sit on the hill and watch us practice! Wasn't that where we got a firetruck to bring a lift for the staff to use as a GE box?

Bob Fields = Clark Kent!

I have a bunch of the blue articles from the Concord Transcript. Those are fun. Did you know that time Bob toured with us led to him being heavily involved with the Crossmen (I think) and his daughter marched. It seems I ran across an article he wrote for DCW or something. It'd be cool to get him on here just to say hi.

We did get a lift for the staff there. Re: people watching us practice... I remember thinking the exact same thing in Stillwater. Come to find out, you know who was in that crowd? None other than Todd Tanji - that blew me away...

I'd have been surprised if you didn't end up on your back side sliding back down the hill!

Came close a couple of times. Usually it was more of a treadmill type action, a la the Three Stooges. Worse yet, you'd have fallen forward and slid on your stomach. That would have been nasty!

Yeah, I dunno about that marching through it stuff. That was the best part about marching squads as opposed to a block. Squads could "slide" around the poo-piles. Which is much better than sliding in them!

My two favorite parades: 1) Colmo Days Rodeo in Salinas, CA. All the horses were in the day parade...followed by a fleet of street sweepers. The corps marched at night. 2) Edmonton Klondike Days. We won the corps show, so we got to lead-off the parade. All the horses were behind us. :thumbup:

Garry in Vegas

PS Dave, how's the French horn campaign going?

Edited by CrunchyTenor

Yeah, I dunno about that marching through it stuff. That was the best part about marching squads as opposed to a block. Squads could "slide" around the poo-piles. Which is much better than sliding in them!

My two favorite parades: 1) Colmo Days Rodeo in Salinas, CA. All the horses were in the day parade...followed by a fleet of street sweepers. The corps marched at night. 2) Edmonton Klondike Days. We won the corps show, so we got to lead-off the parade. All the horses were behind us. :thumbup:

Garry in Vegas

PS Dave, how's the French horn campaign going?

I remember once marching behind an elephant. Seriously.