some old corps photos

DrumCorp113.jpg

DrumCorp114.jpg

VK DATR @ CU Boulder 1987

I was at that show!

One enduring memory is the Cavies contra (the brother of a girl I'd marched Troopers with) coming in 1 1/2 counts before the rest of the horn line, while the DM counted off "1 and 2 and..." It went something like this: 1 AND 2 AND 3 <honk> 4 and....

There was a Vince in the line...

Yup, that's it.. I haven't found my old '79 yearbook yet, but it was Dane and Vince from the valley, and the Steve's, Smith and Sankee. They turned out tobe a decent line. It's just too bad we burned everyone out with a 7 week tour, but for a lot o the kids, it was just how they spent the summer. Better than sitting at home, and a couple even came from a recovery home right to the drumline. In some ways I wish the line could have stayed together and grown another year, but it wasn't meant to be.

Yup, that's it.. I haven't found my old '79 yearbook yet, but it was Dane and Vince from the valley, and the Steve's, Smith and Sankee. They turned out tobe a decent line....In some ways I wish the line could have stayed together and grown another year, but it wasn't meant to be.

The talent in that line was pretty decent too. Myself, Lawrence and Thom went to BD. Dane went to Freelancers and Jim Navarro went to SCV and BD. There were several other guys that also had the talent to go North but chose not to. The 70's VK program was coming to an unglamorous end that year which I believe ultimately helped them come back stronger than ever in the 80's.

Vk-Tympanis023a.jpg

It could be you but they all look too short. I didn't know that about Thom. That's the big difference between the small corps and the big boys. It's very easy to commit when there are other talented drummers just waiting to take your spot. During my entire time in BD I don't remember ever having more than one or two days when there wasn't a full line. I agree with you about Mike. It was very noble on his part to march but still a sad way to end a drum corps career. Here's a picture (that might be from you) of Mike. His body language says it all.

He "had" to march due to people dropping out like flies during tour. It was a tour that was way too long and grueling. Killed the kids and the spirit of the corps.

Luckily, we overcame it and those of us that stuck with it were VERY happy of the outcome.

Nancy

He "had" to march due to people dropping out like flies during tour. It was a tour that was way too long and grueling. Killed the kids and the spirit of the corps.

Luckily, we overcame it and those of us that stuck with it were VERY happy of the outcome.

Nancy

The small group of vets that trusted the new staff, and a bunch of kids who just didn't know they weren't supposed to get that good, that fast, were my inspiration as an instructor. Those were great times. I have to admit, though, that I sometimes wonder where we could have gone had more of the vets stuck it out. I understand their reasons, but sometimes....

Garry in Vegas

Cue the rim shot!

I guess that means we marched 10 snares in '76 just like BD :)

Boise76-2.jpg

This is from DCI West in Boise when BD still had the blue short-sleeved shirts. Boise was one of those fields you can't forget. It seemed like it was 4' higher in the center of the field than the sidelines, I guess for drainage reasons.

This picture is the drum solo in the middle of Rite of Spring. Gotta love Ghost's instrumentation.

• 5 sets of double snares
  • 4 sets of triple concert toms
  • 2 sets of double North tenors
  • 5 tymps
  • 6 basses
  • 4 plates (along with the tymps, about the only "normal" instrumentation that year).

Virtually everyone carried a hand percussion instrument as well for use all throughout the show. Obviously most of them were used in the opening of the drum solo and during Rite of Spring (vibraslap, vibratone, triangles, ratchets etc.), but who knew the washboard I had on my hip would work so well setting up the latin feel during Enchanto (concert).

I don't remember exactly how they pulled it off, but I think all of the tymps had a single chime down the back of their uniform tops they pulled out for Rite of Spring too. It wasn't bad enough carrying a tymp they had to have a 3' metal tube inside their uni (insert crude joke here :)

I guess that's what playing for Gerry Schelmar in Boston all those years did for Ghost, that, and listening to Harry Partch records with his dog Jeep in his teepee http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOHBqFevy0k Alan Christiansen may have had a cleaner line in '77, but we sure had a more creative one. :smile: