some old corps photos

CrossmenDCI1980crutches.jpg

Poor Jeff! Guys were playing football that day and they jumped on "Sasquatch" but his leg was on on even ground that resulted in a broken bone. We all really felt sorry for him, but was glad to see him standing at attention at the goal line. :tongue:

cool, these are the guys and gals from a little bit before my time...great photo...thanks :tongue:

my scan-o-matic is out of service for a week or 2...um, for now...well um...1974 front page news ;-)

1974-news3-a.jpg

edit: Seaway Festival Queen Sharon Foote, general chairman of the Ogdensburg Seaway Festival Herbert Brian

and unassuming me, the year I took my gloves off so I could feel the music. In my hand is our prize money.

Linda,

I have great memories of the late 60's and early 70's Canadian drum corps. We (Geneva Appleknockers) competed against your brother's corps, Del, a lot. I always liked their horn lines and musical selections. Sarnia in 1966 was my first drum corps "tour". We were hosted by the Sertomaniares and competed at the Chemical Valley Festival. I remember getting a tour of the many petroleum refineries from a proud corps father. Sertomaniares' Doug Gibb was an amazing player. Do you know if he is still playing (attention SarniaSam)?

Your pictures from Ogdensburg brought back good memories. We were recorded there by Fleetwood in 1970. I still remember the announcer who spoke English as a second language. They grow some monster mosquitos up there! I later learned that not far distant Montreal was once an endemic area for Malaria. I can understand why after meeting the voracious insects on the competition field!

By 1973, we competed against the rising stars of Etobicoke and Seneca on our way back from the U.S. Open. 1974, my final year of competitive drum corps, I played with the Auburn Purple Lancers. Reenter Del. We had beaten them earlier in the season, but they came on strong and surprised us at Ithaca. It was good to see the regional drum corps finally getting some recognition on the championship level in my last year of competition. I felt as though I had arrived at long last.

Linda,

I have great memories of the late 60's and early 70's Canadian drum corps. We (Geneva Appleknockers) competed against your brother's corps, Del, a lot. I always liked their horn lines and musical selections. Sarnia in 1966 was my first drum corps "tour". We were hosted by the Sertomaniares and competed at the Chemical Valley Festival. I remember getting a tour of the many petroleum refineries from a proud corps father. Sertomaniares' Doug Gibb was an amazing player. Do you know if he is still playing (attention SarniaSam)?

Your pictures from Ogdensburg brought back good memories. We were recorded there by Fleetwood in 1970. I still remember the announcer who spoke English as a second language. They grow some monster mosquitos up there! I later learned that not far distant Montreal was once an endemic area for Malaria. I can understand why after meeting the voracious insects on the competition field!

By 1973, we competed against the rising stars of Etobicoke and Seneca on our way back from the U.S. Open. 1974, my final year of competitive drum corps, I played with the Auburn Purple Lancers. Reenter Del. We had beaten them earlier in the season, but they came on strong and surprised us at Ithaca. It was good to see the regional drum corps finally getting some recognition on the championship level in my last year of competition. I felt as though I had arrived at long last.

I’ve complained about our uniforms during hot summer day drum corps contests but those old heavy uniforms may have deterred a few mosquitoes back in the day. I checked corpsrep for the Ogdensburg contest. It’s not there and I didn’t keep the scores :-(

Here’s some of our button collection. My brother collected 2 or 3, the rest are mine. There may be a story behind the acquisition of each button. The Optimist Cadets button is nice. They were a feeder corps for Toronto Optimists. I called them Opti-Cadets; apparently there’s another corps with the same name.

Wish I collected more buttons, sigh, but if you’ll notice Geoff; I’ve 2 Appleknocker buttons, with due respect this is an indication of my perception of your corps in the early 70’s; it seems that past competitive spirit makes way for present day renewal of acquaintances, a drum corps thing, hard to explain :-)

button_collection.jpg

:tongue:

Guess who? Two on the left...

http://xkingsmen.com/photos/1967/images/ph...p;slides&10

Edited by amadorj

Linda, I loved the lining in that uniform ( since we bought them from you for 1976) so it wasn't that hot.

Linda,

It looks like Pete Emmons on the far left and Fred Sanford in the white shirt.

It looks like Pete Emmons on the far left and Fred Sanford in the white shirt.

That IS Pete Emmonds and Fred Sanford...but thats Rocco Olivario( Kingsmen horn instructor) on the far right. Not sure who that is with the shades on his forehead. .... anyone know?