some old corps photos

I will bet that the Canadian Commanders are in that pic with Drum Major Bob Bond...thats Interstatesmen Bill...pretty sure. I would not doubt that is the Ny Canadian Championship...senior and junior.

Absolutely right Donny. I had forgotten how much I-men resembled Aquinas (or vice-verse)

The DM on the right is definitely Linda Shigehira of the Nisei Ambassdors.

But, I've got to dispute your 1965 date. Based on Linda's uniform, it had to be at least 1966.

In 1965 everyone in Nisei, including the DM, wore purple blouses. In 1966 Linda wore a white battle jacket with a purple epaulette. The CG sergeant (Tina Shigehira) wore a purple battle jacket with a gold epaulette. So, this photo has to be at least 1966. In 1967 the corps switched to white battle jackets, but the guard still wore the purple blouses. In 1968 the entire corps finally went to battle jackets. White for the corps and purple for the two DMs. 1968 was the first year we had two DMs. It was Linda's age-out year and she was accompanied by Mark Tanabe.

The Nisei Alumni group on Facebook has a pretty good photo documentation of the era... posted by people who were there, so they remember.

Vasella was gone by 1966 ... and, here's the lineup/scores from corpsreps.com:

Saturday August 14, 1965

Des Plaines IL STADIUM: Maine East High School

Position Corps Score

1 Royal Airs 80.200

2 Troopers 76.770

3 Kilties 75.570

4 St. Mary's Cardinals 74.580

5 Vasella Musketeers 67.220

6 Mariners 65.850

7 Nisei Ambassadors 52.370

The VFW Nats were two days later in Chicago ...

:-)

70-prog-st-johns2.jpg

Wow, what is that? Hundreds of people in uniform in the stands, a reviewing stand on the track, the guys in the cloaks - they did things formal then, didn't they?

Yeah Wow that's a lot of folks all dressed up... WTF. That's me second flag from the right (in back).

I remember that drill but not all those that crowd.

Looks like a Knights of Columbus shin dig!

Yeah Wow that's a lot of folks all dressed up... WTF. That's me second flag from the right (in back).

I will bet that the Canadian Commanders are in that pic with Drum Major Bob Bond...thats Interstatesmen Bill...pretty sure. I would not doubt that is the Ny Canadian Championship...senior and junior.

No Commanders there Donny..I am thinking it might be NY State championships? The uniform obscured by the judge is Brigs I am sure...I am wondering who it is that looks like Aquinas? Or maybe just an upstate show with these corps and Aquinas as exhibition?

I seem to remember a Catholic holiday celebration being held at Hamilton Civic Stadium. Not being Catholic but loving to watch St. John's I went. They were the only drum corps there...the rest of the show was pretty religious in nature and I left right after seeing the corps. But the stands were full of nuns & priests and KofC folks. I remember St. Johns exit of "Shadow of Your Smile"....really nice piece. Pretty sure that's Hamilton's Civic (now Ivor Wynn) Stadium.

Thank you for that gymnastics lesson.

You are most welcome! Anything for you Glenn.... :tongue:

("Try the veal, we're here all week" ~ Shrek)

I seem to remember a Catholic holiday celebration being held at Hamilton Civic Stadium. Not being Catholic but loving to watch St. John's I went. They were the only drum corps there...the rest of the show was pretty religious in nature and I left right after seeing the corps. But the stands were full of nuns & priests and KofC folks. I remember St. Johns exit of "Shadow of Your Smile"....really nice piece. Pretty sure that's Hamilton's Civic (now Ivor Wynn) Stadium.

Thanks for being there. St. John's were sponsored by KofC for a few years. Looks like Ivor Wynn stadium. St. John's hosted a contest for many years. The venue wasn't the best, yet we went and looked forward to the Brantford contest the following year. I recorded that Alberta Girls did a show at a soccer march in Amsterdam 1977 with a crowd of 60,000, was overwhelmed at the time but we did the same show for 100 in the audience. I corresponded with Drum Corp World in the 1980's and kept this over the years. I like it and like to share my memoribilia :-)

dcw-1.jpg

Bruce, you're absolutely right. Back then we were known as the K of C St. John's Girls and we did do that performance.

We used to do a lot of performances in Hamilton with that large Italian Catholic population there was always something

going on ... Thanks for the memory jog... needing that these days... & Linda thanks for posting it.

As for the Brantford show, back then Brantford didn't have a football field ... the show was at Cockshutt Park, a baseball

field but I must say the people of Brantford really rallied around the corps and were very pro drum corps.

In 1965 (my first yr to march) we performed on the hockey rink to welcome Pierre Trudeau to Brantford before he got elected.

That was definitely a highlight.