some old corps photos

drumcorps0010.jpg

Boston Crusaders from cover of March 1967 DC Digest...are they crankin' the slides or workin' the rotors?

They were SLIDES--- players are Jim Horne, Neal Smith, Ken Wheeler------------------ aka ----"The Trio"

Edited by sac67

1985 Drum Corps World

dcw-3.jpg

I have 2 questions. Is the first horn a French Horn or Mellophone?

Is there a web site that has history of the marching French Horn as it relates to drum corps?

Sam is right, french horn. IIRC, we marched 12 altos in '84 (the year of the photo) 4 french horns, 4 mellophones, and 4 flugelhorns.

drumcorps0010.jpg

Great Photo,

I think it's the 1966 A.L. Nat. Finals in DC

Since Neal aged out in 1971 (as one of the DMs) that would make him 16 in that picture.

We think we marched 6 Frenchies and 6 flugels that year

You were doubling, carrying extra horns around on brackets made out of coathangers and tucked into your waistbands. I have one of those K-40 flugels, which later spent some time at Impulse. The plating is rubbed off the bell bow where it hung on the bracket.

drumcorps0010.jpg

Great Photo,

I think it's the 1966 A.L. Nat. Finals in DC

Is that photo reversed? Wasn't the piston played with the right hand thumb and the rotor with the left?

Is that photo reversed? Wasn't the piston played with the right hand thumb and the rotor with the left?

I agree that this is an odd grip, but the photo is not reversed (drop on the left and right to left cross strap is correct). Usually the slide was worked by the left hand using the ring on the bottom of the horn and the valve operated by the right thumb which was the gripping hand. It looks as though they are pulling the tuning slide directly with their right hand and using the left thumb on the valve.

Old Boston always had a rep of doing things the hard way just because they could. Ask any drummer from the day about their penchant to start rudiments with their left hand.

I can hear the vibrato from here.

DA

LOL! and the tone bending!!