some old corps photos

That looks like the Eau Claire Sundowners to me. St. Patrick Imperials were green, weren't they? In 73, when St. Patricks and the Thunderbolts merged into 'The Thing' and wore both corps' uniforms, I am pretty sure the Imperials uniforms were green jackets with kilts.

jim

Having been a Sundowner and wore that uniform I agree that its not St. Pat's.

The sunburst on the shako and royal blue color define it pretty well but i don't know whats up with the guy in the silk shirt.

I think St Pat's guard or possibly the drum line wore Kilts but not the whole corps.

Edited by bass5

The sunburst on the shako and royal blue color define it pretty well but i don't know whats up with the guy in the silk shirt.

I think St Pat's guard or possibly the drum line wore Kilts but not the whole corps.

I found a 1969/1970 color photo of St. Patrick's, and now I believe that it IS the Imperials in that photo. Just goes to show you that uniform styles are extremely similar (St. Pat's & Sundowners). St. Pat's didn't have anybody wearing kilts in the photo from 69/70.

OK, then.....who had the shamrock flags??

stps.jpg

In 73, when St. Patricks and the Thunderbolts merged into 'The Thing' and wore both corps' uniforms, I am pretty sure the Imperials uniforms were green jackets with kilts.

jim

Here's the other side of the equation:

thunderduds.jpg

That looks like the Eau Claire Sundowners to me. St. Patrick Imperials were green, weren't they?

Sundowners didn't have the white belt:

capitol72a.jpg

Seems like a bunch of us have a hard time recalling the 70s.

The St. Patricks Imperials DRUMLINE was kilted in 1971-72. And also IIRC in 1973, the Year of the Thing.

Edited by HornsUp

St. Patrick's Imperials, bass5 is correct, drum line and rifles in kilts. (drumline 71-73, rifles 71-72) And ajedrummer is correct about the color, the uniform is kelly green. (looks like some faulty film and/or developing in a couple of the previous photos)

When they merged into the "Thing" the rifles wore black skirts with the same tops pictured below minus the kilt material coming over the shoulder. (drum line were still in kilts) The 1973 horns and flags wore the Thunderbolts uniform and the drums and rifles wore the Imperials uniform.

stpats.jpg

stpats712.jpg

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 1