some old corps photos

It looks like maybe the Momence Il Gladiolus Festival - only stadium I know of that did not have a track - we were always right up in the face of the crowd.

Another stadium that had no track was Horlick Field, and the Royal Airs played there in 1962, 1963, and 1964. This picture looks like it could be Horlick Field in 1964. Anybody know for sure?

Technique looks pretty good! Who was the drum instructor?

Peace,

Fred O.

Thanks. It's one of my favourite photos.

In an attempt to answer your question, I was asked to compile a list of AAG instructors from 1970-1979 for our 2011 reunion because I was an instructor for AAG from 1976-1979 (plus winter guard till ’88). I added it to my to-do list and this list is a work in progress. Based on recent research, some of the drum instructors for AAG were Mr. Whitney, Mr. Sanford, Mr. Hardimon, Mr. Float, Ms. Butler, Mr. Cardiff, Mr. Kristensen, Mr. Kays, Ms. Aho and Mr. Crevilone.

The photo may be of the Mark, Ralph, Sam era 72-74. The instructors rarely toured with the ladies with some exceptions because many were marching instructors. While on tour, the techs were our section leaders whom had good instruction ; )

Peace,

lindap

Love to see pics of St. Ignatius, Ventures, Bon Bons, Mello Dears, CapitolAires, Canadian Knights, Tri Town Cadets, Osage PrecisionAires, Charioteers. Just love all the old pics of drum corps. Thanks to everyone!

Another stadium that had no track was Horlick Field, and the Royal Airs played there in 1962, 1963, and 1964. This picture looks like it could be Horlick Field in 1964. Anybody know for sure?

It's been a long time...but I recall that Horlick field had no walk space with the chain link fence in front of the stands as this photo shows. Which means Horlick's seating was even closer to the field than this stadium. Great stadium, complete with concrete walls, barbed wire, and the foundry across the street.

You couldn't hear or see anything. There were no stands. You just stood and tried to catch glimpses between heads in front of you. It was a sea of bodies.

There were several rows of people rimming the "field". First, those who were sitting on the floor. Then those in metal folding chairs followed by those standing. Finally, there were additional rows of people sitting on chairs that were stacked on top of other chairs. It was really weird saluting after the color presentation and having children and others sitting/standing withing 20 feet of you. If I recall, the corps had to go through an opening of people behind the SL. There's a photo of a newspaper clipping on the previous page that shows how low the ceiling was. The echo wasn't too bad, but the whole experience was one for the ages.

Edited by Ghost

1974 Kilties snareline at Horlick field

Kilties1974.jpg

Do you have any more pics from this show? Or any more pics of corps in Horlick Field?

<br />Maybe someone will recognize the logos on the back of the jackets/vests (some sort of bug/beetle)<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Those are cooties. The Military Order of the Cooties is an internal subset of the VFW.