some old corps photos

Dutch Boy Cadets, Kitchener, Ontario

ralph-2.jpg

Thanks for posting these photos, this one is from 1974, we were in Munich Germany on the Oktoberfest grounds. They have this huge midway with rides I haven't seen before or since. There must have been about 1,000 acres of midway and beer tents!!! A couple of the tents held up to 5,000 people. You can't see the security we had but there was a wedge of police ahead of us our corps director figured about 150 police surrounding us. You have to keep in mind that this was 2 years after the Olympic masacre of some of the members of the Israeli national team, that's why all the security!!

Boy what a trip!! BTW, there is no drinking age in Germany. (hick :ph34r: )

Edited by ODBC

Thanks for posting these photos, this one is from 1974, we were in Munich Germany on the Oktoberfest grounds. They have this huge midway with rides I haven't seen before or since. There must have been about 100 acres of midway and beer tents!!! A couple of the tents held up to 5,000 people. You can't see the security we had but there was a wedge of police ahead of us our corps director figured about 150 police surrounding us. You have to keep in mind that this was 2 years after the Olympic masacre of some of the members of the Israeli national team, that's why all the security!!

Boy what a trip!! BTW, there is no drinking age in Germany. (hick  :ph34r:  )

OK, so I was wrong. But, the building on the left in the pic does bear some resemblance to Zenders.

Regards,

John

Thanks for posting these photos, this one is from 1974, we were in Munich Germany on the Oktoberfest grounds. They have this huge midway with rides I haven't seen before or since. There must have been about 100 acres of midway and beer tents!!! A couple of the tents held up to 5,000 people. You can't see the security we had but there was a wedge of police ahead of us our corps director figured about 150 police surrounding us. You have to keep in mind that this was 2 years after the Olympic masacre of some of the members of the Israeli national team, that's why all the security!!

Boy what a trip!! BTW, there is no drinking age in Germany. (hick  :ph34r:  )

Surprised you remember anything from the trip. :P

Santa Clara Vanguard

ralph-23.jpg

I know SCV's drumline reigned supreme in the 1970's, but this photo shows the snare line playing "reverse" traditional grip - or - the photo got printed backwards.

I know it was scanned as presented, but nothing irks me more than when a photographer prints a photo backward. Sometimes it's hard to tell, but the first clue was SCV's hats and starburst were backwards. Then I saw the "left" or "right hand" grip.

Bottom line - thanks for sharing.

the Patriots, Derry, Pennsylvania

ralph-116.jpg

Wow - thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!

1975, American International @ Butler, I believe. I'm in the second row, right next to an old girlfriend - :sshh:

Far right in the pic is a young Joe Buncie. One of the true virtually unknown giants of the activity.

DM in white in the lower left was Karen ??????? - biggest heart and cutest redhead DM in drum corps EVER!

Littlest dude in the far left first row - I think he was 9 at the time, and wouldn't think twice about kicking your ### just because - vaguely remember having to pull him off a few rival corps members on several occasions. Good little horn player tho (which would have gotten my ample ### kicked if he heard it back then).

Many of those kids went on to bigger and better corps, and many are still involved in senior corps - and I miss them all.

I have this pic at home still in the mailing tube.

I know SCV's drumline reigned supreme in the 1970's, but this photo shows the snare line playing "reverse" traditional grip - or - the photo got printed backwards.

I know it was scanned as presented, but nothing irks me more than when a photographer prints a photo backward. Sometimes it's hard to tell, but the first clue was SCV's hats and starburst were backwards. Then I saw the "left" or "right hand" grip.

Bottom line - thanks for sharing.

They are doing some back-sticking and twirling, the photo is correct

The drums are resting on their right legs. The photo is backwards.

Yes, the pic is backwards. It appears correctly, if I recall, in the 1975 DCI Yearbook (pic taken in '74). It looks like it was taken during the '74 "Young Person's Guide" drum solo--during the last snare segment.