some old corps photos

If that was a shot at finals, then it was 83...astroturf in 84, and here they're on grass.

If the pic had Barbara Maroney in it, I could tell you with more assurance...her left "hand" was on the horn differently in each of those 2 years,

Judging from the back stands, that pic is neither the Orange bowl nor Grant Field. So, not a finals pic.

Garry in Vegas

Pretty sure it is 1979 - I remember the white contact paper added to the red drums, and I think they only had two keyboards in 78.

Page 1007 in this thread. I took a similar picture during 1979 prelims. There is a banner at the back field 1979. Take care.

When you get to some old corps photos, there is a little box on the left with page numbers. Click on the down arrow, put your cursor in the box and type 1007, ,click Go. I teach people how to use computers as a part time job, if you know ignore me, otherwise, no news is good news. Just being nice.

As an aside, it was much easier to be colour guard in shorts, pants and long skirts than short skirts in those days. Loved the shorts. Better in those hot summer days that the long skirts with 2 layers with material that did not breathe. Innovative and practical.

Edited by lindap

cadets-6.JPG

This pic looks like it was taken at Manning Bowl.

Your right Steph. Richard went to Cadets with some other MB3 kids Elmo, Mimi, and the year before Johnny Sanchez. I taught them all in Memphis in 1981.

Forgot about that.

cadets-6.JPG

This pic looks like it was taken at Manning Bowl.......

Dale - that was my very first reaction - that it was Manning Bowl. But if you look across the back stands - do you ever remember seeing that many "openings" and with "working" lights on the back field? Those stands also look to be a lot longer than I remember.

Edited by LancerLegend

cadets-6.JPG

Your right Steph. Richard went to Cadets with some other MB3 kids Elmo, Mimi, and the year before Johnny Sanchez. I taught them all in Memphis in 1981.

Forgot about that.

I remember because as a returning vet some of us were upset that everybody was moving on to other corps in the East, which ultimately lead to our folding besides other issues. We felt that if we had a strong return of vets we could've survived and possibly moved up in the ranks.

But it was not to be. :(

I talk to Elmo alot these days, he's living here in the Memphis area as well.

Edited by Lancerlady

Page 1007 in this thread. I took a similar picture during 1979 prelims. There is a banner at the back field 1979. Take care.

When you get to some old corps photos, there is a little box on the left with page numbers. Click on the down arrow, put your cursor in the box and type 1007, ,click Go. I teach people how to use computers as a part time job, if you know ignore me, otherwise, no news is good news. Just being nice.

As an aside, it was much easier to be colour guard in shorts, pants and long skirts than short skirts in those days. Loved the shorts. Better in those hot summer days that the long skirts with 2 layers with material that did not breathe. Innovative and practical.

Here's a little additional info: The most recent picture is from Whitewater before second tour--the corps is wearing white bucks and the mallet/tymps are located towards the front sideline. The picture from page 1007 is from DCI prelims--the corps switched to black shoes and the mallets/tymps were moved to the inside of the "sit circle."

I remember because as a returning vet some of us were upset that everybody was moving on to other corps in the East, which ultimately lead to our folding besides other issues. We felt that if we had a strong return of vets we could've survived and possibly moved up in the ranks.

But it was not to be. :(

The lament of oh so many corps . . . including my own.

That rifle line was pretty darn good! Our rifle line won alot of Best Rifle awards but never beat them in 1976.

Yup, I always envied their consistent technique and precision. For whatever reason, that wasn't emphasized nearly so much in Oakland.

Oops, sorry, duplicate post.

Edited by byline

The legalization of the bass drum is going to ruin drum corps! :D

TRUE drum and bugle corps right there ^^

Wait, nevermind...I think that guy on the far end of the photo has a fife.

I didn't say it was a drum and bugle corps. I said it was a drum corps. You're looking at a genuine civil war corps there.