some old corps photos

There's one shot of the BD horn line up above with the horns pointed to the ground. That was the "drop spot" where the horn line emptied the spit out of the horns. Always during concert (La Suerte) in the picture. One More Time and La Fiesta during my time.

Yep...I remember the spit vizh.

I marched BD 81-85 in the hornline. Some of those BD pictures, compared with the other pictures you posted epitomized one of the differences from BD to the other corps. Namely, the wide open drills. It was drilled into us about why our M&M was so demanding was due to the huge spreads we had in the drill and the intervals we typically marched at (3-4's, maybe up to 6) to get the 100 yard spreads. Those pictures easily captured Cavies, Guardsment, Garfield in the shots. BD was not so easy.

True enough. That's something I remember people saying, that BD's shows were "easy." I was always taken aback by that comment, because it was obviously untrue; an analysis of your shows, breaking down all the elements, revealed a huge level of difficulty and individual/ensemble demand. You guys made it look easy, but that's where it ended. And, of course, that's the mark of a true champion, making something complex look simple.

Traits I have always associated with BD during that period: Big, open, flowing drills; fabulous music; elegant, musically written guard book. The 1980 show is one of my all-time favorites. :tongue:

Edited by byline

Sue:

What great photos that you've posted! Gives me chills to see the ones with the seats spelling "Jim Ott", especially during prelims for Spirit and BD.

Sally

What great photos that you've posted!

All the credit goes to Bonnie. I've always remembered the wonderful photos she took, especially during those 1980 prelims and finals. My only contribution is pestering her to send me her photo albums so that I could scan those photos. Bonnie is a band director who also suffers from sciatica. My husband has it too, so I know the toll it takes on a person, especially when he or she has to work. Sitting is especially unbearable, so I knew there was no way she could do that. I'm happy to have been able to take care of that for her, as I know what a joy it's been for me to see old photos of Oakland posted in this thread, and also to share what photos I have with others.

By the way, more are coming. Bonnie also sent me DCI finals photos from 1988 and 1991. But I'm giving my "scanner arm" a rest today, and will fire up the scanner again tomorrow.

Gives me chills to see the ones with the seats spelling "Jim Ott", especially during prelims for Spirit and BD.

Sally, until you mentioned that, I had forgotten. I was so focused on the corps that I pretty much ignored the background. Thank you for pointing it out and helping me to remember.

27th Lancers, 1980 DCI finals:

198027thlancers12.jpg

(photos by Bonnie Harmon)

Thanks for posting these Sue, The pictures of 27th basically sum up my 1980 finals experience which consisted of watching 27th from the tunnel, hearing that huge crowd cheer for them and trying to focus on my show. This last picture is particularly memorable as I don't even remember 27th being there when we walked out of the tunnel (I think my focus was dialed in by then). Great shots!

Greg

Last of the calendar pages

13th through 24th 1980

Associates.jpg

Scores 1980

Scores.jpg

Not to be knitpicking, but this is actually 13th - 25th place minus 24th place.

The last shot is of Boston Crusaders who placed 25th in 1980 with a prelim score of 63.90.

24th place was my alma matre, Finleyville Royal Crusaders with a prelim score of 64.45.

If you look real close at the scores, you can see this.

I only point this out after seeing this pic for the 1st time and looking for a pic of FRCs.

I guess maybe since the corps folded after the 1980 season, that's why they used BC instead.

The Seattle Imperials picture in the calendar above looks like it's Larry Dodd. He went to Blue Devils in 81, was the Pegasus soloist in 82 and the "Everybody Loves the Blues" soloist in 83.

Not to be knitpicking, but this is actually 13th - 25th place minus 24th place.

The last shot is of Boston Crusaders who placed 25th in 1980 with a prelim score of 63.90.

24th place was my alma matre, Finleyville Royal Crusaders with a prelim score of 64.45.

If you look real close at the scores, you can see this.

I only point this out after seeing this pic for the 1st time and looking for a pic of FRCs.

I guess maybe since the corps folded after the 1980 season, that's why they used BC instead.

I don't know why they would've left off the FRCs. I hadn't noticed that before. Maybe the picture didn't fit nicely into the grid for that page?

Madison Scouts, 1970

1970-1.jpg

Is this the Beatrix Band from Holland? It's someone performing in exhibition at the 1980 DCI finals, and I think it was them, but I'm not sure:

1980beatrixband.jpg

(photo by Bonnie Harmon)

The Homewood, AL, HS band performed in exhibition at the 1980 DCI finals. Perhaps that is them. (Beatrix's visit to Birmingham was in 1979.)