some old corps photos

Hey thanks for the compliments Sue. It's nice to hear every now and then because we really did work so very hard to create a good, solid Color Guard that everyone could enjoy.

Kingsmensnare76 was correct. We didn't play YPG until '73 blowing ourselves and everyone else away. It was my most favorite piece to march to. If you go here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ_Qea3pLLA...feature=related You can see a home movie cut with a recording (DCI Prelims). It's the first I've seen of '73 and and it's pretty cool. Unfortunately we march faster than the music so it has to pause to catch up. And it's REALLY unfortunate that I know that the flag work is totally off from the music :lol: . But thanks anyway to Mr. Bud for getting that up. Better than nuthin' ya know? :lol:

I can't wait till Drum Corps World releases the new DVD of '73. That is the lost year everyone has been waiting to see. There were so many great shows that year. Anyone hear yet about it's release?

So theres a "NEW" dvd of 1973???? I had not heard of this but am anticipating it to the MAX! As a Kingsmen I know that 1973 was the year where there were little photos and almost NO film of that year aside from a snippet or 2 here and there! Speaking for the Kingsmen we would love nothing more than to see a full show of the 73 corps! I truly hope this exists!!!!

There is also no film of 76/77/78 of the Kingsmen and even though we did not place in the top 12 those years we would LOVE to see "ANYTHING" from those years!....man...one day this stuff will surface!!! I have faith!!! :):)

Hey thanks for the compliments Sue. It's nice to hear every now and then because we really did work so very hard to create a good, solid Color Guard that everyone could enjoy.

Kingsmensnare76 was correct. We didn't play YPG until '73 blowing ourselves and everyone else away. It was my most favorite piece to march to. If you go here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ_Qea3pLLA...feature=related You can see a home movie cut with a recording (DCI Prelims). It's the first I've seen of '73 and and it's pretty cool. Unfortunately we march faster than the music so it has to pause to catch up. And it's REALLY unfortunate that I know that the flag work is totally off from the music :lol: . But thanks anyway to Mr. Bud for getting that up. Better than nuthin' ya know? :lol:

I can't wait till Drum Corps World releases the new DVD of '73. That is the lost year everyone has been waiting to see. There were so many great shows that year. Anyone hear yet about it's release?

WOW!!! Thats the first time I have seen 73 Vanguard! Amazing! No need to apologize for the film not being in sync with the music! I am sure all know that you guys were "Right-on"!...Otherwise you wouldnt have won!...What a coool show for that era!...I remember seeing that show in San Diego in July of 73 and just sitting there in AWE during Young Persons Guide!...I had never seen the doubletime and halftime marching to such a complicated peice before and I was FLOORED!...Lo and behold that type of marching caught on the next year in 74...I think at least 6 corps were doing it!...Vanguard were trend setters for sure!....I am not sure but weren't Vanguard the first to introduce the 3 stroke roll?...meaning RRR LLL RRR LLL?

They used that in Young persons Guide drum solo. That came back in 74 with nearly every tops 12 corps using that roll!

74Hornline-DCIPrelims.jpg

1974 Madison Scouts, company front during "Slaughter on 10th Ave." DCI Prelims, Ithaca, NY

This guy was frigg'n great. I remember we used to borrow cymbals back and forth when our respective pairs would crack. If anyone remembers his name please let me know.
Man-o-man this guy was as strong as they come !! :lol:

74Hornline-DCIPrelims.jpg

1974 Madison Scouts, company front during "Slaughter on 10th Ave." DCI Prelims, Ithaca, NY

Awesome photo. I have a similar photo of the Madison baritones from 1981 or 82 I believe it came out of a DCI calendar. There is something about spats that makes a company front look absolutely fantastic.

So theres a "NEW" dvd of 1973???? I had not heard of this but am anticipating it to the MAX! As a Kingsmen I know that 1973 was the year where there were little photos and almost NO film of that year aside from a snippet or 2 here and there! Speaking for the Kingsmen we would love nothing more than to see a full show of the 73 corps! I truly hope this exists!!!!

There is also no film of 76/77/78 of the Kingsmen and even though we did not place in the top 12 those years we would LOVE to see "ANYTHING" from those years!....man...one day this stuff will surface!!! I have faith!!! :):)

In 77, I sat next to a guy at DCI prelims in Boulder who was video taping shows for his own use. I don't know if it was legal, but he was going it. He had a pretty good sized camera on a tri-pod, so he wasn't going to hide from anyone. Anyway, when the Kingsmen came up he asked me if I had seen them and did I think he should record them. I said yes and he did. So, this tape may be out there somewhere.