some old corps photos

The girls were on the road south. I managed to take time off work and took a plane to meet them, landed in Winnipeg, Chicago, Atlanta and finally B'ham, luggage was in Chicago but I had my purse and camera as carry on. I also felt for the marching members on that hot turf. I sat on my purse 'cause the bleachers burned my butt, watched those wonderful corps at prelims and took a few photos. I may have seen you in 79.

Got my luggage (shorts and t shirts) 2 days later just before getting on the bus with the girls. After DCI finals 1979 Alberta All Girls did parades at Disneyworld in full uniform and continued our trip home. I'm used to -30 C in winter, but Florida was way hot in 79. How did we do what we did? I'm guessing we like drum corps :-)

The heat, the discomfort, the guy in the back of the bus who always played the wrong music at the wrong time on that darned recorder, none of the girls in the guard could take a joke, (who knew hiding a purse in the under carriage of the bus could cause so much carnage!?) bugs in the south you never even thought existed food you never heard of, roads in the midwest that were so long and so flat you felt like you might fall off the face of the earth after 9 hours and bladders so full you thought it might be better to die that way rather than explode. Yeah, we loved Drum Corps.

Puppet

The heat, the discomfort, the guy in the back of the bus who always played the wrong music at the wrong time on that darned recorder, none of the girls in the guard could take a joke, (who knew hiding a purse in the under carriage of the bus could cause so much carnage!?) bugs in the south you never even thought existed food you never heard of, roads in the midwest that were so long and so flat you felt like you might fall off the face of the earth after 9 hours and bladders so full you thought it might be better to die that way rather than explode. Yeah, we loved Drum Corps.

Puppet

oh...sorry for citing a tidbit...i scan when i can...keep your chin up!

i like dum corps...yes, now you know i like drum corps :)

wonderful photos on this thread, thanks so much

that's my opinion, feelings, nothing more

I can't speak to '79 but in '80 we went off right after lunch.

Set up on the field and then had to wait 10 minutes for the judges.

My feet burned off up to the shins.

I was never so glad to start marching with a high leg lift.

Was it class A prelims in Birmingham '79? Hot, humid, and on AstroTurf that wanted to fry your feet? I think that's it, 'cause I remember finals being on grass in another stadium - and in the evening - seems like I'd remember if it were in Denver - from previous years, so must be Birmingham '79.
Edited by dckid80

It was misserable on the turf that year in B'ham. I wasn't in a hot, wool uniform like the members. I was on the sidelines, photographing for DCW. I remember a judge or nurse saying it was appx 130 F on the turf. I can't remember how many people went down that year. And '80 wasn't much better.

1980 was horrible...we were quoted a temp of 140 F when we went on; not only did I have blisters on the soles of my feet when we got off; but (and I kid you not...) the rubber on my heels was SOFT from the heat!

Someone with DCW did a pictoral of the fallen during prelims (I think that year) that was scary; but in a sick way somewhat funny. Many did not finish their shows...

...bugs in the south you never even thought existed food you never heard of,

I think you are referring to the same thing! :thumbdown:

roads in the midwest that were so long and so flat you felt like you might fall off the face of the earth after 9 hours

When we were driving to Dallas from Miami in 1971 for VFW Nats (after our half-time show at a Dolphins/49'er exhibition game), we joked that we could see Dallas from Baton Rouge it was so flat. :thumbup:

Another 1972 Santa Clara picture. I think this is at Marquette Stadium. Can anybody Confirm?

Photo by Bob Anello

SCV72_1.jpg

Gotta be Marquette Stadium. The backfield stands in these daytime photos, with the brick surround, look just like what I recall of the frontside stands at Marquette. What I don't recall is a major show there with (daytime) prelims in '72...? Anybody else?

I think you are referring to the same thing! :thumbdown:

When we were driving to Dallas from Miami in 1971 for VFW Nats (after our half-time show at a Dolphins/49'er exhibition game), we joked that we could see Dallas from Baton Rouge it was so flat. :thumbup:

What a coincidence!

1971 Alberta All Girls

1971-aag-a-a.jpg