some old corps photos

Did you HAVE to dredge that up while I'm eating??

:tongue:

And Tom.....yeah....the Alliance one is just God-awful!

Looking back, yes it is. But the purple/red/orange/navy combo was very on-trend for 1983. I don't know if anyone was saying "Those are ugly." I think we were saying "Those are striking." But, as I've said before, as wacky and iconoclastic as their uniforms were, the Alliance show was about as cutting-edge as a baby's butt.

Those Glassmen colors are very Mark Twain Cadet

Mark Twain Cadets had bright orange satin shirts with a darker than royal blue but not quite navy blue pants and skirts. Canadian Commanders Drum Corps had a lighter shade of orange shirt with black pants, a uniform that was pleasing to the eye.

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...t&p=2488689

A link to a view of Glassmen’s orange and blue. I rather liked the colours. The silks should have been orange in my opinion.

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...t&p=2081892

Complementary colours are on the opposite side of the colour wheel; red and green, blue and orange, yellow and purple. To quote wiki ‘The use of complementary colors is an important aspect of aesthetically pleasing art and graphic design. This also extends to other fields such as contrasting colors in logos and retail display. When placed next to each other, complements make each other appear brighter.’

I studied Theatre for 5 years in high school, 2 years in University, was on stage but mostly with the set design/build or costume design/build crews ‘cause I sewed and painted. When asked to paint the flats for Happy Birthday Wanda June, I used complementary colours on a perspective drawing that made the set appear as a wall papered hallway with 2 doors; all an illusion.

Most professional football and hockey home or away team jerseys have complementary colours, had to be distinctive during the black and white TV era so you knew which team was who, otherwise looked like the same team. Visual and performing arts, sports, drum corps in one post? I like ‘em all. This June 2009 newspaper scan of Jamie and Glenn is for you DPEmerald from Lil ole quirky Canadian me. I’ve been away from the activity for over 20 years but still look for inspiration and imagine how it could be applied to color guard, yep, my color guard roots are showing. Sorry about getting off topic. :tongue:

jamie_glenn-a.jpg

Edit: a TV show "Battle of the Blades" Oct 3/09 for 8 weeks. NHL players paired with world class figure skaters. Great show!

Edited by lindap

Looking back, yes it is. But the purple/red/orange/navy combo was very on-trend for 1983. I don't know if anyone was saying "Those are ugly." I think we were saying "Those are striking." But, as I've said before, as wacky and iconoclastic as their uniforms were, the Alliance show was about as cutting-edge as a baby's butt.

And lets face it, if George Z. did it then it was questioned a lot less than if someone else did. Those were just ugly.

alliance-4.jpg

alliance-3.jpg

A few pictures of manning bowl I found on line.

MANNINGBOWL.jpg

mbowlentrance.jpg

mbowlstartimgline.jpg

mbowlconcessions.jpg

I remember my brother bringing me there when i was 5 years old so in '69 and sitting there all day during prelims at the World open......

Troopers!

Trop.jpg

Go!! Troop!!

another Troopers!

Troop-12.jpg

and again. Go! Troop!!!

Go!! Troop!!

That's on the sleeve of a Troopers' double album from the late 60s/early 70s which a colleague in my corps in Scotland had gotten hold of.

That's on the sleeve of a Troopers' double album from the late 60s/early 70s which a colleague in my corps in Scotland had gotten hold of.

The album also included a full-color print of this picture that I had framed and on my bedroom wall for a decade...