some old corps photos

82-1.jpg

Nice photo! As you can see, the scarf was a very different shade of green. You can also see guard members carrying Royer's infamous "Bedknobs" in the background.

Edited by scv guy

Anyone know why that guy has two drums stacked up?

We did the same thing that same year! I don't remember Glassmen doing it though. Funny.

It was just to get the extra drum sound is all. The book was written for 5 basses. Cavies did it in 84, Northern Aurora did it in 85. Dan Chamberlain was our guy.

1973 Nationals Program, Les Cavalieres de la Rive-Sud, Longueuil Quebec

“…founded in September 1970…1973 repertoire is ‘This Land is My Land’, ‘Miserlou’, ‘Michelle’, ’25 or 6 to 4’, ‘Joy’, ‘Take My Heart’ (the 1970’s version)..."

73-cavalieres.jpg

82-1.jpg

Last things of note about the SCV guard uniform of this era.

1. This version of the guard uniform included "gauchos" instead of the skirts they had worn since the corps' inception.

2. The uniform of this style began in '79.

3. The "doo rag" was added in '80

4. The red feather was added in '81

5. The more frilly collar was added in '82 (therefore, the above photo is more than likely '81)

6. '82 was the last year for this style of uniform for the SCV guard.

7. After '82 the uniforms became more feminine and suitable for dance.

9. '82 was the last year the guard wore white boots.

10. The guard uniform has changed most every year since that time.

1976 program, Flying Dutchmen, Kitchener-Waterloo (photo might be from a prior year)

Green shirts, black pants, red and white accents, silver and red on the hats

1976-Dutchmen-1.jpg

Sept – Dec 1974 Flying Dutchmen’s practices were on Mondays, Ventures practiced Tuesdays and Saturdays, Opti-Knights practiced on Wednesdays, Seneca Princemen’s practices were on Sundays. During those 4 months, I was at most of these practices teaching new kids. Now you know;)

1973 Nationals Program, Optimist Knights (Opti-Knights), Guelph Ontario, photo courtesy of Eric McConachie (photo may be of 72?

Program notes; “…corps formed in 1961…music is ‘A man a Horse and a Gun’, ‘If You Knew Suzy Like I Knew Suzy’, ‘Watermelon Man’, My Way’…” my notes; Guelph’s a short drive from K-W, pant stripes and satin shirts were yellow gold

73-opti-knights.jpg

Different snares (Ludwig?) than in the 1964 Larry McCormick picture that follows. Is this not 64 or did they get the Rogers snares during the season?

I ran it by some alums from the era, and they're sure it's 63.

Tenor drummers (left to right): Artie Alt, Howie Lasky, Tony Bucaro

Snares: Greg Pacer, Curt Johnson, Mitch Markovich

Bass drummers: Doc Glass and Dave Hoppe

FWIW, I just did a restoration on a vintage Ludwig snare, rewrapping it to those original late 50s colors, as a gift from the Cavalier Alumni Assn for the Reilly Raiders in recognition of their assistance during "The Fight" at '57 VFW Nationals.

57_snare.jpg

Fortunately, green and silver glass glitter are still easy to come by. Now if I could just get Delmar to start making the old Slingerland Capri pearl wrap again...

sli010.jpg

Edited by mobrien

Cavaliers 1964 World Open

caviesatworldopen-1.jpg

Nope ... not a 64 WO pic ... it was held at Hedges Stadium in Bridgeport, CT and that is not the right school/background ... must be from another show ...

:-)

Nope ... not a 64 WO pic ... it was held at Hedges Stadium in Bridgeport, CT and that is not the right school/background ... must be from another show ...

:-)

Andy, again we think alike. That's the first thing I thought of when I saw the picture. I remember Hedges 64 W.O. prelims and the starting line had bleachers behind it. The school was up on a hill beyond the finish line.

Am I correct?

Edited by gsksun4