some old corps photos

1973 Nationals Program, Durham Girls, Durham Ontario

Program notes “…started in 1969…1973 music ‘Jezebel’, ‘Ontario’, ‘Seulement’, ‘Sweet Georgia Brown’, ‘Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines’, ‘Going out of My Head’…” my notes…may have been founded in 1958; their uniform colours were blue and white

73-durham.jpg

You like the blue - well, there's a surprise!!!! :-)

Serioulsy, I have no idea why they went away from this uniform. My guess is that it was a combination of judges' input plus $$$. This was my preference, too.

It was, of course, mostly about money. New uniforms were definitely needed by the Kilties for 1974. The red jackets with the yellow McLeod plaid tartan and kilt uniform dated back to 1949 while the blue jackets with the blue Anderson plaid tartan and kilt uniform dated back to 1957. My uniform that I wore from the fall of 1966 until the spring of 1972 when I got drafted was a vintage 1957 "blue" uniform. My jacket was starting to show quite a bit of wear by then and my blue Anderson plaid tartan and kilt didn't seem to be as brightly colored as newer replacement ones were. In the fall of 1973 the red and the blue jackets that were still serviceable were repaired, dyed black and rebuilt and the yellow McLeod tartans and kilts were retained. New tartans and kilts from the yellow McLeod plaid were then made by corps mothers to finish outfiting the entire corps.

In 1949 the Kilties replaced their red Royal Stewart plaid tartans and kilts (Worn with green battle jackets), which had been their uniform since 1934, with yellow McLeod plaid tartans and kilts. The green battle jacket was worn for a while longer with the yellow McLeod tartans and kilts, but by 1951 it was replaced with a red battle jacket. This uniform was now worn exclusively by all members of the Kilties until 1957. Funny, some old drum corps fans that I've talked to only saw the Kilties in the 1950s and only remember them wearing their "red and yellow" uniforms.

In 1957 two important things happened with the Kilties organization. First the YMCA allowed the Kilties (Finally!!!) to change their age from 10 to 18 years old to 14 to 21 years old, like all of their other competitors, and a feeder corps, the Kiltie Kadets, was organized for 10 to 14 year olds. The Kiltie Kadets first uniform consisted of the Kilties old red Royal Stweart tartans worn with a white shirt, red shorts and a blue cumberbun. Meanwhile, in 1957 the Kilties were given a gift by a local resident of blue Anerson plaid tartans and kilts and blue battle jackets. The Kilties as a whole corps began wearing these "blue" uniforms on the field of competition at night where the judges and spectators decided that they were just too drab. Soon thereafter the Kilties began wearing their old red battle jackets with the yellow McLeod plaid tartans and kilts on the field of competition and their "blue" uniform during the day in parades, prelims and exhibitions. This was the practice for only a few years when, because of the Kilties increasing membership, there was a need for additional uniforms. To solve this problem it was decided around 1961 or 1962 to combine the two sets of uniforms, again to save money. It was decided to outfit the members of the color guard in the old red battle jackets with yellow McLeod tartans and kilts and to outfit the drummers and buglers in the newer all "blue" uniform. A year or two later the drummers were outfited in red battle jackets with blue Anderson plaid tartans and kilts, leaving only the buglers in the all "blue" uniforms, thus resulting in the colorful uniform combinations that the Kilties continued to wear until the end of 1973.

So, throught their history (1934 - 1982) the Kilties only wore three different plaids: the red Royal Stewart, the yellow McLeod and the blue Anderson plaid. Two the Kilties parents club picked out, one was a gift.

It was, of course, mostly about money. New uniforms were definitely needed by the Kilties for 1974. The red jackets with the yellow McLeod plaid tartan and kilt uniform dated back to 1949 while the blue jackets with the blue Anderson plaid tartan and kilt uniform dated back to 1957. My uniform that I wore from the fall of 1966 until the spring of 1972 when I got drafted was a vintage 1957 "blue" uniform. My jacket was starting to show quite a bit of wear by then and my blue Anderson plaid tartan and kilt didn't seem to be as brightly colored as newer replacement ones were. In the fall of 1973 the red and the blue jackets that were still serviceable were repaired, dyed black and rebuilt and the yellow McLeod tartans and kilts were retained. New tartans and kilts from the yellow McLeod plaid were then made by corps mothers to finish outfiting the entire corps.

In 1949 the Kilties replaced their red Royal Stewart plaid tartans and kilts (Worn with green battle jackets), which had been their uniform since 1934, with yellow McLeod plaid tartans and kilts. The green battle jacket was worn for a while longer with the yellow McLeod tartans and kilts, but by 1951 it was replaced with a red battle jacket. This uniform was now worn exclusively by all members of the Kilties until 1957. Funny, some old drum corps fans that I've talked to only saw the Kilties in the 1950s and only remember them wearing their "red and yellow" uniforms.

In 1957 two important things happened with the Kilties organization. First the YMCA allowed the Kilties (Finally!!!) to change their age from 10 to 18 years old to 14 to 21 years old, like all of their other competitors, and a feeder corps, the Kiltie Kadets, was organized for 10 to 14 year olds. The Kiltie Kadets first uniform consisted of the Kilties old red Royal Stweart tartans worn with a white shirt, red shorts and a blue cumberbun. Meanwhile, in 1957 the Kilties were given a gift by a local resident of blue Anerson plaid tartans and kilts and blue battle jackets. The Kilties as a whole corps began wearing these "blue" uniforms on the field of competition at night where the judges and spectators decided that they were just too drab. Soon thereafter the Kilties began wearing their old red battle jackets with the yellow McLeod plaid tartans and kilts on the field of competition and their "blue" uniform during the day in parades, prelims and exhibitions. This was the practice for only a few years when, because of the Kilties increasing membership, there was a need for additional uniforms. To solve this problem it was decided around 1961 or 1962 to combine the two sets of uniforms, again to save money. It was decided to outfit the members of the color guard in the old red battle jackets with yellow McLeod tartans and kilts and to outfit the drummers and buglers in the newer all "blue" uniform. A year or two later the drummers were outfited in red battle jackets with blue Anderson plaid tartans and kilts, leaving only the buglers in the all "blue" uniforms, thus resulting in the colorful uniform combinations that the Kilties continued to wear until the end of 1973.

So, throught their history (1934 - 1982) the Kilties only wore three different plaids: the red Royal Stewart, the yellow McLeod and the blue Anderson plaid. Two the Kilties parents club picked out, one was a gift.

Interesting history there. Always enjoyed seeing the Kilties. Whatever became of that drum major Scotty Poulsen? There was a serious DM if ever there was one.

ludwigad.jpg

Do you have a date for this add?

I wonder what the echo was like in McCormick Place?

:tongue:

Fred O.

I was there and I don't think Lucas stadium could hold a candle to this place in terms of echo. The difference is that the McCormick echo was, in general, an enhancement, at least as far as I was concerned. Everything seemed sharper. Snares especially, who's sound was bouncing off the floor. Get the recording and you will know what I mean. Backfield sound was good as well.