some old corps photos

Santa Clara Bottle Dance 1978

Untitled187-41.jpg

Yessss! One of my all-time top goosebump moments. Love this photo! ^OO^

Oakland Crusaders 1978

Untitled168-18.jpg

All right, first year I marched! Thanks! :)

Edit: Wait a minute, are you sure this is '78? Looks more like '79, when the horn line used yellow hand flags during drum solo. You see them poking out of that sleeve on their side.

Edited by byline

No, I can't remember the exact year, but it was way before then! :) It was either 72 or 73 have to look it up for sure! Someone else help me here! :)

1973, second show of the tour, DeKalb Ill. The crowd tore up the stands like it was a Who show.

Edited by Tansea

Would that be the original bottle dance?

Nope, 1978 is the first time it was performed by the full guard. The original "Bottle Dance" was performed by the rifle line only.

No, I can't remember the exact year, but it was way before then! :) It was either 72 or 73 have to look it up for sure! Someone else help me here! :)

We had quite a debate about this over on RAMD. The confusion comes from the fact that Santa Clara began playing music to "The Bottle Dance" in '72, but the rifle line didn't begin actually doing the choreography to "The Bottle Dance" until '73. I'll see if I can find that thread. Yup, here 'tis, and Maggie provided the answer: Bottledance

To hopefully clear this all up.... I marched from 70 to 75.  I remember that in 72 we played the music to the bottle dance.  The flag line took their poles and raised them up slowly and back behind our necks to the shoulders as the crescendo built.  Then as the  main part of the "dance" began we did a one and count to one knee and then a one and count back up then back down again etc. This may have caused confusion with the dance the rifle line did in 73.  Which BTW was taught by one of our soprano players who had seen the musical in NY. He was also of Jewish heritage and taught our DM Tim Moxley how to do a count off in hebrew.  I hope this clears up any questions.  And I hope Im right, after all it was a looooong time ago on a field far far away.....
Edited by byline

Nope, 1978 is the first time it was performed by the full guard. The original "Bottle Dance" was performed by the rifle line only.

That wasn't the question. And yes, I know....I was there.

That wasn't the question. And yes, I know....I was there.

OK, question answered in the post above . . . I think. The original dance by the rifle line was first performed in 1973. Is that what you were asking?

Edit: Sorry for the misattribution. You weren't asking the question, another poster was. Oops!

Edited by byline