Who got 1st place robbed from them

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on Rocketman, don't burst my bubble, that prelim show was just awesome...at least I thought so :P

LancerLady and Felix:

Here's what I can tell you about that show that should pretty much be all you need to know. When we got to the parking lot, pretty much everyone was asking "what happened?" We had some bad phasing, blown sets, poor intonation, just to name a few. To my recollection, no one was celebrating the performance. The staff was also ###### off, and just told us to "shut up!"

When they announced our score, we were in a complete state of shock. I believe there were many of us who though we MIGHT score in the high 80's (89 or so). That's how bad it was to us.

The only bigger shock was, again, finals. When we got to the parking lot after that show, it was completely opposite of the day before. We figured if we got a 91.50 for the "turd" we left on the field the day before, we were looking at an easy 92.50.

Alas, t'was not to be.

Rocketman - Truth seeker

ampssuck

i apologize, i have been informed that there wasn't a color guard mark, but it was the va mark that cost us in 80.

Welcome aboard KK. You are not "misinformed" - guard did have a 2 point caption that was not included in the corps tally. It was a separate column in the recaps.

The "bleed over" we enjoyed was the affect the guard had on our overall show - which was a 10 in GE M&M. And yes it was that VA mark - 8.0 in A-town to a 7.5 at Finals with the same judge. How could his opinion - with the same corps back to back - chage so much? BD kept their 7.9, and at Finals, we actually fell to 4th in VA - losing to PR (7.7) and SCV (7.6). Go figure.

Are you still going to Allentown? The Male Bonding Club is leaving Thursday night - as usual !

Edited by LancerLegend

You know I'm going to whine just a little more with a quick question. :P

The VA score did hurt us, that we understand. Also, people said the emotion wasn't there.

I was wondering, did anyone believe that BD had a very emotional show that night? It just seems like they were right on, as always, but I don't see the emotion in them either.

Spirit, I see emotion, but I believe that emotion is just, well, how do you gauge it?

Of course the inner circle, our instructors would know when and if we were flat, however the rifle line was tired but very tight that night, I believe the whole guard was, not guarded at all, I understand why we lost, however I must say it again, Blue Devils were the best corps and the winning corps on that night in Birmingham. There is no doubt about it!

Yes we were on fire in Allentown, but you cannot put a pulse on emotion, if that makes sense. Tired is one thing, but I believe that emotion is another....and we were tired! Most of the time... :rolleyes: But too many run throughs when it wasn't needed! My final 27 cents on this one.....without making any points at all, just my honest opinion!

Welcome to the K's.......TKs, KK, etc.

Edited by LancerFi

I agree with ContraRich!  How many times does this stupid topic have to come up?  It's really easy for those of you who haven't won to sit there and try to take that away from someone else, and it's pathetic.  Truly pathetic!  If you all are such big know-it-alls, then why aren't you judging?

At the end of the day, I have my ring, and that's all that matters!

M

Maybe some of us are judging

I was wondering, did anyone believe that BD had a very emotional show that night?  It just seems like they were right on, as always, but I don't see the emotion in them either.

from experience, you bet there was emotion Nancy........what was "quiet" emotion all day until we hit the starting line, our finals performance was electric.

from experience, you bet there was emotion Nancy........what was "quiet" emotion all day until we hit the starting line, our finals performance was electric.

Hi BDL, I guess then with so many things, it's all relative!

When you're that good, and making things look so easy that are not, I believe that may overshadow the emotion!! I'm talking about BD, not us! IMHO of course!

I was wondering, did anyone believe that BD had a very emotional show that night?  It just seems like they were right on, as always, but I don't see the emotion in them either.

I commented on this very thing in another thread. I think it had to do with expectations. Blue Devils was never a corps I expected to explode with emotion, because it just wasn't part of their style. Their whole style was wrapped around cool, collected, yet glorious jazz stylings. It's not that the show was unemotional; I think the corps members would attest to that. But the style of the show wasn't designed to be presented in that way.

On the other hand, 27th Lancers' show seemed to rely on high impact (which is another way of saying emotion), so I think that's what many of us expected for finals night. Without it, the show, as good as it was, seemed somewhat flat. Was it right of us to expect that kind of blazing impact? It's hard to say, but it seemed to be what Two-Seven wrapped its style around. Blue Devils didn't, and so there lies the difference in expectations.

Edited by byline

The VA score did hurt us, that we understand.  Also, people said the emotion wasn't there.

Yea - I constantly bring this up because I have the hardest time dealing with it. Other corps maintained their mark - and I cannot believe they did not "clean up" some things as well - which is what I hear was our downfall. So, how did we loose a half point? How?

Of course the inner circle, our instructors would know when and if we were flat,

Well the OTL went smoothly - the crowd was ready. I remember standing there with JC and CP and SS and AF, etc, Vinnie and Brian C and Wedge. We all were waiting for things to explode - like Allentown perhaps. It just was not as emotional. So - did we really win GE? Did the VA mark simply make up for the apparent "let down" in GE?

We'll just never know. I do remember watching BD - and really not feeling they had the show either - althought it was performed perfect like the machine that they are - but flat. I remember thinking Spirit pulled off the show of shows.

We'll just never know. I do remember watching BD - and really not feeling they had the show either - althought it was performed perfect like the machine that they are - but flat.

I am sure that's what you "wanted" to think. :P