Who got 1st place robbed from them

man i didnt mean for this thread to turn into a bunch of bashing other people's corps or disrespecting anyone or anything. i alos didnt want it to become a discussion of dci politics or bad judging, i just wanted people to state their oppinions on who they thought should have won and nothing more. not "oh man i wish i could change it." that's not right.

somebody close this thread. PLEASE!!!!!!

Hold it one minute please, I thought I stated a very positive opinion, and I lived it.

I can tell you that both me and LancerLegend have always not only had the utmost respect for the Blue Devils from the first time we laid eyes on them, but also deep down, I believe when I saw our staffs faces, including LancerLegend, I believe they knew we had not done it in 80.

The best corps won, would I have loved to win, YES, but we didn't on that night....any corps from the East winning would have been grand, and it truly wasn't about us, but just the East in general! Having never had and Eastern corps win would have been beautiful, it would happen only 3 years later, with the main staff people from 2-7.....yes I believe we tore it up in Allentown that year, both prelims and finals, but in Birmingham, not even close, then to have to go on after Spirits' horn and drum lines, well, any corps would sound soft after that!

However I had a great final show.... ^0^

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However I had a great final show....  ^0^

Yeah Nancy, what a way to go out! :huh::huh::ph34r::laugh::huh: :)

whoa Nancy, it's eerie you bring up that thread today, I wrote that exactly one year ago, on March 6th, 2004.

*cues Twilight Zone theme* b**bs

See, see what I mean....no matter what corps you marched for, whether you were head to head competition, or whatever, there is some sort of attachment that goes even deeper than just saying we all marched.

Thanks again, and as I said it was a very generous gesture, maybe you thought that when you watched only because you had won so many times prior and felt bad for us? (I have to read that thread again...wow ha, the exact date 1 year apart)!!!!

I'm surprised that no one has brought up 82 Phantom.

I mean they were undefeated the whole season ^OO^ and come up 4th in the finals that year :laugh: . I have met a few members of that corps and they have always believed that for some reason the judges did'nt like them.

I mean it is hard to argue against. How many corps in the last 30 years have been undefeated all season and have not won DCI?

If you check drum corps history you will find out it's happened more to Phantom than probably any other corps out there.

Now let the mayhem begin b**bs

Gerald

I'm surprised that no one has brought up 82 Phantom.

I mean they were undefeated the whole season  ^OO^  and come up 4th in the finals that year :laugh: .

Gerald

ahem...

BD was the only undefeated corps in 82...

July 10th DATR

BD 84.00

Phantom 82.55

August 7th Whitewater

BD 91.15

Vanguard 89.00

Phantom 87.40

August 15th Boston CYO Nats

BD 93.25

Garfield Cadets 90.55

Phantom 89.75

Gotta love fromthepressbox.com.

good point felixh. oh well guess i cant do anything about it now.

It's really not that bad. The posts I have been reading sound more like a love fest. But I can totally relate to thread hijacking.....I am guilty of that myself. :P

Edited by felixh

How many corps in the last 30 years have been undefeated all season and have not won DCI?

If you check drum corps history you will find out it's happened more to Phantom than probably any other corps out there.

Now let the mayhem begin b**bs

Gerald

I'm sorry to continue to burst your bubble, Gerald, but you got me curious. I did some further investigation on frommthepressbox, and with exception of maybe 79 (I say maybe, because there is only one regional recap available and Phantom wasn't even there), there is absolutely not one single year where Phantom went into finals week "undefeated". Maybe you should check out some drum corps history, dude? That's probably not the "mayhem" you were lookin' for. ^0^

There might be more, but the only corps I can think of that fit that criteria, is 87 SCV, 88 BD, and 95 BD.

Edited by charleschuchuta

Thanks again, and as I said it was a very generous gesture, maybe you thought that when you watched only because you had won so many times prior and felt bad for us? 

Naw, had nothing to do with "you had won so many times prior".........I just felt that for everything 2-7 brought to drum corps (I've always been a huge fan of 2-7), it would have been nice to see you guys win, so with '80 being the best chance for that to happen, I chose that year as the one "I would give back". :)

Hold on folks. Don't y'all know the old expression - if you can't teach music, then you teach visual, and if you can't teach anything, you become a judge? And it's when you judge that people tell you how much you DON"T know !!!!!

Luckily - I did teach first, and judged while teaching, continued to judge in NC, then more in Maine, and then went back to teaching a high school band here in Maine. Now if I start playing my clarinet again - I'll have come full circle.

Hey BD Legend - that Mike Moxley guy - wow - his family was blessed with winning genes. His baby bro Tim took home a few trophies as DM of SCV.