Snare Sticks

Snapettes Mom

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ralph Hardimon's are my favorite. We used Promark DC 3Ss (Japanese Oak) last year. I like the weight but wish they had a round bead like the Ralph's.

I really liked the IP Colin McNutt's (I think they're called FS-2's now)

I really liked the IP McNutt's too. And the Bret Kuhn's....very heavy, telephone pole like sticks, but nice to play.

Here is some old SCV history. Back in the day when I played snare in SCV we used sticks designed and named after our instructor, Rob Carson DC 10's. A tapered stick with no bead and kind of light and very easy to play fast with.

One day mid summer while the corps was practicing out on Moffit Field, Fred Sanford comes back from a Canadian trip with a box full of custom batch of Rob Carson DC 10's made from rosewood.

This sticks were beautiful and had an unbelievable pitch that made our new snares sound very sweet. Unfortunately the sticks were very fragile and we shattered the entire lot within a couple of hours.

Mom

• 4 weeks later...
Here is some old SCV history. Back in the day when I played snare in SCV we used sticks designed and named after our instructor, Rob Carson DC 10's. A tapered stick with no bead and kind of light and very easy to play fast with.

One day mid summer while the corps was practicing out on Moffit Field, Fred Sanford comes back from a Canadian trip with a box full of custom batch of Rob Carson DC 10's made from rosewood.

This sticks were beautiful and had an unbelievable pitch that made our new snares sound very sweet. Unfortunately the sticks were very fragile and we shattered the entire lot within a couple of hours.

Mom

BD used DC-10s when I marched. I used to have a pair. The originals were #### near indestructible!!! Float would whack a pair together to keep time. They were chewed up all to ####, but they never broke!

I've fooled around with some really li8ght sticks made on a lathe...forgot what they were modelled after. I suspect on a drum they'd sound something like the untaped wood sticks Cavies at some point in a show in the 90s.

I like the Vic Firth Thom Hannum sticks. They have great applications both indoors and out. Great articulation, work well with all dynamics, and require a little more work on the individual's end.

I liked the Silver Fox James Campbell from back in the day...well besides the tips popping off and the occasional stick not being completely round (you should see me roll one of them, haha). They felt pretty good, though.