Biggest messups in DCI history?

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read about 20 pages and didn't see the Bluecoats "contra pig pile" on the 50 yard line from the 2001 Indy Afternoon show. It was a follow the leader snake formation and I was near the tail end. I was looking at the DM and I could see the line of contras marching backward in front of me. Then, one by one, I saw large silver objects fall to the ground. b**bs The funny part is that night, we watched the tape of the incident from the high cam and you couldn't tell it happened. Our uniforms blended in the the Colts (football) helmet logo on the 50 so it just looked like the line disappeared.

BD 1993, right after it rained or was raining slightly, the camera focused on the guard twice, and saw 3 drops.

Yep i saw that, the sabres looked to slippery, I actually felt sorry for the guard, and has anyone mentioned the tumbling conta from cadets 2002 (now you see him now you dont)

Now, this isn't a goof-up or thing of that sort. This took place on the track, AFTER a performance:

Again, my memory is fuzzy at best, so anyone else who remembers this, please feel free to chime-in...

I think it was 2000 in Burlington, IA. Either way, it was that stadium that has a VERY STEEP ramp that corps' enter through. So, I remember another time at the same venue that it was simply a refusal to unlock the back gates, but hey, who am I to complain... Now for a setting, the stadium was one of those weird, old venues where the front track gives access to the seats and the concessions are down by the field house. Needless to say, fans and members are all milling about while the next corps prepares.

So I believe it was Glassmen that was following us or Boston. Either way, we were finished until retreat (which was probably DM only, but I forget) and I'm standing midway up the HUGE HILL and speaking with our drill writer, Rich Templin.

Now, I know we all remember a day when many groups had mere lawn tractors to haul their pit trains. I think we had JUST gotten our ATV only weeks before - until then it was always that good ol' mower (or manpower). EVEN with our ATV our carts were taken down one at a time - the hill was just too steep.

SO I look up and nudge Rich for him to see Glassmen bringing their train down all at once - and on a fairly ghetto-looking tractor at that. No sooner does the train all enter the gate that this poor guy driving realizes what a terrible mistake he has made. The brakes failed almost immediately and this guy is yelling for all the people going for snow cones to MOVE, FAST. Luckily, no one was injured although I think the driver was thrown when he T-boned his John Deere.

So where is all this going, you may ask?

All I gotta ask is: Anyone else ever seen a few Tympanis go shooting down a hill at about 20 mph, occassionally bouncing, say, 3? 4? feet in the air?

We were so thankful that no one was injured, but man, watching those drums bounce was frickin' SWEET! B)

"Any one remember the Madison cymbal player in 76 that lost his cymbal. He kept playing by hitting the other cymbal with his fist. His hand was pretty bloody by the end of the show."

That kid deserves a medal.....

I think that one was in '02, if you're talking about the 9/11 tribute show.

That "9/11" portion in itself was a huge mistake. It's one thing to pay homage to a tragedy. It's another thing to put it into a competative show where that homage can win you points...and soooo soon after. I remember seeing it and going "Oh that just doesn't belong..."

2003 Blue Devils

San Antonio

A Tenor players drum half falls off during the roto-tom feature. He quickly gets out of the way and gets back into the groove and on with the show. Not likely his fault...but then. Later in the show the drumline is moving down the field towards the home sideline and the same kid trips and bites the turf. (can't blame him. That "roll-out" turf is horrible.) His drum again falls off his rack on one side, but this time he can't fix it. This is where the screw up comes in. He stops where he is and tries to fix his drum. As a result he gets in the way of some drill and freaks out. The drumer then procceeds to saunter, and I do mean saunter, over towards the end zone to fix his drum. The bad goes to worse as the show ends with him STILL over around the 20 trying to fix his drum. To add insult to injury, the guy notices the show is over, casualy walks over to the final set, pulls up his drums, and stands there as if nothing had happened.

I don't even know what the last 20 sets of drill looked like for BD that night. I was too busy looking at the drummer. It's one thing to have an equipment problem, but the way it was handled...wow.

2003 Cavaliers

San Antonio

I think I have this one on video somewheres, i'll try and post it. What started out as a simple slip, turned into one of the greatest recoverys I've ever seen.

A contra player is backwards marching and falters, causing another contra to trip over him. The first contra keeps going, but the second falls. The form around him is tight and for a second it looks as if a huge pile-up is about to occur. Amazingly, the contra on the ground rolls out of harms way just as the form sets into a block. Cool, he avoided a huge mess. But to make it even better, he rolls right up into his EXACT spot as if nothing had happened!

Now, this isn't a goof-up or thing of that sort. This took place on the track, AFTER a performance:

Again, my memory is fuzzy at best, so anyone else who remembers this, please feel free to chime-in...

I think it was 2000 in Burlington, IA. Either way, it was that stadium that has a VERY STEEP ramp that corps' enter through. So, I remember another time at the same venue that it was simply a refusal to unlock the back gates, but hey, who am I to complain... Now for a setting, the stadium was one of those weird, old venues where the front track gives access to the seats and the concessions are down by the field house. Needless to say, fans and members are all milling about while the next corps prepares.

So I believe it was Glassmen that was following us or Boston. Either way, we were finished until retreat (which was probably DM only, but I forget) and I'm standing midway up the HUGE HILL and speaking with our drill writer, Rich Templin.

Now, I know we all remember a day when many groups had mere lawn tractors to haul their pit trains. I think we had JUST gotten our ATV only weeks before - until then it was always that good ol' mower (or manpower). EVEN with our ATV our carts were taken down one at a time - the hill was just too steep.

SO I look up and nudge Rich for him to see Glassmen bringing their train down all at once - and on a fairly ghetto-looking tractor at that. No sooner does the train all enter the gate that this poor guy driving realizes what a terrible mistake he has made. The brakes failed almost immediately and this guy is yelling for all the people going for snow cones to MOVE, FAST. Luckily, no one was injured although I think the driver was thrown when he T-boned his John Deere.

So where is all this going, you may ask?

All I gotta ask is: Anyone else ever seen a few Tympanis go shooting down a hill at about 20 mph, occassionally bouncing, say, 3? 4? feet in the air?

We were so thankful that no one was injured, but man, watching those drums bounce was frickin' SWEET! B)

I was backfield listening to tapes with Larry, we almost got out of the back stands because we thought a tymp was coming at us. I think Crossmen were on the field, they had some looks on there faces.

I read about 20 pages and didn't see the Bluecoats "contra pig pile" on the 50 yard line from the 2001 Indy Afternoon show. It was a follow the leader snake formation and I was near the tail end. I was looking at the DM and I could see the line of contras marching backward in front of me. Then, one by one, I saw large silver objects fall to the ground. b**bs The funny part is that night, we watched the tape of the incident from the high cam and you couldn't tell it happened. Our uniforms blended in the the Colts (football) helmet logo on the 50 so it just looked like the line disappeared.

As the staff felt like they were going to vomit in the stands.........