Biggest messups in DCI history?

I've never really heard a soloist try to "rewind" one of their mistakes before.  Maybe I'm just scarred by it since I was on the field when it happened.

I've always known the audience perspective on the '89 solo, but I've never heard an on-field perspective. I hope they weren't to hard on the guy after the show. On the PBS broadcast you could see another sop talking to him after the show. It seemed like he was saying, "Don't worry about. These things happen."

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest messup in DCI history happened this week.... woodwinds at I&E. <**> <**> <**> <**> <**> <**> <**> <**> <**> <**> <**>

Edited by 77kingsmensnare

I think one of the worst visual moves was 93 cavies, where the form is moving and two lines have to cross each other and 3 horn guys end up falling down on that one move.

Also 94 BD, the closer a mellophone chick slips in the mud on a change of direction.

Soprano at the end of 95 cavies show.........entrance was kinda ehhhh :ph34r:

There's this moment in 04 Cap Reg in the closer. About a minute or so from the end. There's a huge build up and then the whole hornline stops playing for 4 counts and then releases the tension by resolving the chord.

Well, on quarter finals night, everyone but one person rested those 4 counts. One trumpet player let out a huge frack. He forgot to rest (originally, there was no rest in the music, it was changed pretty late in the season to make an impact point).

~DCI FINALS~

"WINNER OF HIGH COLOR GUARD, THE SANTA CLARA VANGUARD!" b**bs

b**bs

b**bs

"WE ARE SORRY  :) , WE HAVE MADE A MISTAKE  :ph34r: , THE SANTA CLARA VANGUARD DID NOT WIN HIGH COLOR GUARD  :( >>>> THE WINNER IS THE SPIRIT OF ATLANTA  b**bs "

Even better, at the 1987 DCE Championships in Morgantown, WV Spirit was presented with the high drum trophy. Shortly thereafter, it was announced a mistake had been made and the Cadets actually won. The trophy was taken out of the hands of Spirit's DM and presented to the Cadets!

The one I remember is Bridgemen, I believe in 1980, where the guy fell down during the dance. Bounced right back up, though!

Yeah, I'm suprised it took someone this long to mention it. It was a nice recovery, but he still got ragged on for it for the next 3 or 4 years by his fellow members. They said (jokingly) it was his tick that cost them the title that year.

biggest mess up in DCI history... hm.

cant really think of the BIGGEST one.

but I have a question.

this got jogging my memory while I was watching SCV 2003. Near the end, the Trumpets spin the trumpets around on there fingers... one of the trumpets hit his face, and his aussie. the Mouthpiece, of course, fell out of the trumpet. What would have happened if he had a solo... and NO mouthpiece?

has that ever happened before?

~>conner

i have a question about the bd 89 solo... on the dvd is it the actual one with the mess up or is it like the one on season pass where it's dubbed?? I've heard the original but was curious if DCI has edited that for good.

The "Legacy" DVD I have has the solo as it happened that night and was shown on the telecast; no dubbing, as far as I can tell.

biggest mess up in DCI history... hm.

cant really think of the BIGGEST one.

but I have a question.

this got jogging my memory while I was watching SCV 2003. Near the end, the Trumpets spin the trumpets around on there fingers... one of the trumpets hit his face, and his aussie. the Mouthpiece, of course, fell out of the trumpet. What would have happened if he had a solo... and NO mouthpiece?

has that ever happened before?

~>conner

Uh-

No. Never :wall:

:ph34r: