Biggest messups in DCI history?

Byline, I would have a hard time believing anyone would look to blame a loss or placement on an individual that dropped a rifle or whatever.

I definitely agree . . . though I think the individual would have a hard time dealing with it. After all, we're all highly competitive, right? We have to be, to march corps. So knowing that one made a mistake--especially one that was tabulated as a deduction from the point total--is hard to live with. We would all prefer to march flawless shows, even though odds are that somewhere down the line, we're going to make a mistake. We're not machines, we're human.

That being said, I do have to admit I still harbor animosity for a situation that occured while I was marching in winterguard. It was way back in 1974 (yes, I'm that old) and it involved the girl guarding the American flag. During the championship performance, she missed two salutes resulting in FOUR POINTS in penalties, and resulting in a score of 63.10. The winning guard had a 65.30. So, as you can see, that was a loss as a result of utter stupidity for which I still loath her. How freaking lame do you have to be to miss the only two things you do in the entire show?

Yeah, I can understand that. Your reaction is part of us being human too, you know? I've had girls--not many, but one or two is all it takes--who, for whatever reason, couldn't remember their shows, couldn't handle the stress, couldn't hold their timing together. And, of course, when the rest of the guard is clicking on all cylinders, that one person stands out like a sore thumb. I will confess to being fairly unforgiving toward those individuals. (Which, in reality, probably only made it worse by stressing them out even more.)

But the stuff that bugs me the most is when it's deliberate. I actually had a guard captain who deliberately messed up during her shows just to make me mad. She was getting back at me because she wanted a solo in the show, and I wouldn't give it to her. Long story. I've never seen one individual screw up an entire guard as badly as she did. (Unfortunately, the divisions she created lasted long after she left.) And the fact that she did it deliberately, with malice, really makes her stand out. So, to me, other mistakes that happen out of inexperience, nerves or whatever pale by comparison.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But the stuff that bugs me the most is when it's deliberate. I actually had a guard captain who deliberately messed up during her shows just to make me mad. She was getting back at me because she wanted a solo in the show, and I wouldn't give it to her. Long story. I've never seen one individual screw up an entire guard as badly as she did. (Unfortunately, the divisions she created lasted long after she left.) And the fact that she did it deliberately, with malice, really makes her stand out. So, to me, other mistakes that happen out of inexperience, nerves or whatever pale by comparison.

Did you have the authority to, kick her out? That just shouldn't have been tolerated. At least the girl I'm talking about just had a brain freeze. A costly brain freeze, but a brain freeze nonetheless.

Rocketman - give me 50!

ampssuck

I didn't read all 29 pages, but here are the big ones I know of.

1983 cadets had a HUGE like ten person wipe out in the final moves of the show (still won)

89 bd, poor soloist

89 SCV drum line bouncing around against each other like pinballs. I believe it had something to do with the overage members they booted finals week and had some holes. But man could they play! (and this from someone who was a member of PR that year)

96 PR, I was on vis staff that year and we had a wipe out in the second number, didn't seem to hurt us in the end I guess.

-Mark "Ducky" Bertram

Phantom Regiment 1986-1990, Vis Staff 1996

I can't find my 1985 CD, but did Santa Clara Vanguard have a mistake that year? Like blatant?

^DrumCorpsFan I loooove your 1985 show

Did you have the authority to, kick her out? That just shouldn't have been tolerated.

Unfortunately, no. Band was a class, and she wasn't just a guard person; she was a musician in the band during concert season. (Guard members were required to play an instrument, not just march guard.) If this had happened a couple of years later, I think the band director would've been open to the idea of kicking her out, but that particular year, I think his attitude about the guard was, "You handle it!" But there were limitations on what I could do to handle it, essentially making anything I tried to do in this particular situation pretty ineffective.

27th, Bayonne, Kilts, Kingsmen, Muchachoes and (watch this space) all plagued with financial pressures and reluctantly moving to inactive status :( even though they were amazing and successful corps with proud histories and loyal fan followings...I'd say that is a big messup...the biggist in DCI history perhaps.

Boy, are these corps missed!