Best hornline to ever hit the field! (pt. 2)

I've still yet to hear anything that leaves me thinking this is anyone other than Cavaliers 2002.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First reaction to Avant Garde; are they playing the opening theme to Halo?

OH. This is Eleanor Rigby. Okay. .....WOW.

::looks at scores::

Hm. For one, I'm really surprised to see the spread between ensemble and field scores, in each caption. For example, in '84 prelims, the Bluecoats (who got beaten at the show by Les Crescendos, heh) got 10th in field brass with a 5.3, and 1st in ensemble brass, with a 7.5. Avant Garde got 6th in field percussion with a 9.1 (beating SCV, Garfield, Phantom, Cavies, Xmen, Freelancers, Madison, and VK), but scored 16th in ensemble percussion with an 8.1; every aforementioned corps beat them in that category. Really strange; stuff like that really doesn't happen anymore. They got 15th in brass, and tied with the Troopers. I don't see how this hornline could have placed in 15th....they sound incredible, ESPECIALLY with 40 horns. The ending reprise wasn't too effective, only because it was exactly like the ending of the song before it. That show was still amazing though, thanks so much for giving that link.

That Av. Gd. show sounds really good, and I'd say that the opener was a bit ahead of its time as well (this is still back when a lot of corps were still doing "traditional" OTL's, I think, although that would quickly diminish over the next few years)

Wasn't '95 Academie Musicale, as well as other shows of theirs, supposed to be really good?

Yep - they were outstanding.

That Av. Gd.  show sounds really good, and I'd say that the opener was a bit ahead of its time as well (this is still back when a lot of corps were still doing "traditional" OTL's, I think, although that would quickly diminish over the next few years)

If you 3want to hear the original version of that arrangement check out Knights 82. And while your at it take a listen to Kights 83 too. Now that was a great horn line.

Freelancers 1990 - Batman

Man this show was great. I kept hoping they would make finals with it.

14th place I think...

Blue Knights 1990 - Berstein's Mass

Here's another show that really should have been in finals. The brass book was incredible.

13th place ( should have been higher)

I'd also add BK 2002.. If they would have been able to pull that show together (and not let it get away from them) they would have had one heck of a hornline.

~>conner

Anybody remember Boston in 79?

Really small corps, maybe 25-30 horns. Sounded like 60! super clean, they were knocking off top 12 Hornlines! One of my all-time favorite shows! :music: