• Magnificent Yankees
    • Purple Lancers
    • Rochester Patriots
    • Gauchos
    • OLPH Ridgemen
    • St. Rita's Brassmen
    • CMCC Warriors
    • Avant Garde

There are so many success' above...Purple Lancers are the only NY corps to make Open Finals, Greece was the first A Class Champs, St. Joe's were great for many years, Squires, Avant Garde.....who to pick?

Have to go with St. Ignatius due to longevity, championships and consistency.

There are so many success' above...Purple Lancers are the only NY corps to make Open Finals, Greece was the first A Class Champs, St. Joe's were great for many years, Squires, Avant Garde.....who to pick?

Have to go with St. Ignatius due to longevity, championships and consistency.

Saint Iggies? What you been smokin dude? I guess Saint Joe's were just window dressing. Your probably forgitting about top ten consistanty from 63 to 71. eight times NY state champions. What did Saint Iggies do to beat that?

• 1 month later...

Iggies won DCI All Girl 75, 76, 77. World Open All Girl 75-80. Garden State Champs many, many times...............

I'd vote for St. Catherine's Queensmen. Particularly if you're including individual achievements by people like John Sasso, Frank Dorritie, Billy Cobham, Bill Hightower.............

"NY's Most Successfull":

St Catherine's is our personal fave. They went the farthest (In the early 1960s) to break the stanglehold that "North Jersey" had on 'Metro' competition. The individuals mentioned above, and their 60-61 horn instructors Joe Genero & Bill Hayes were a big part of their sucess story.

St Joseph's of Batavia is most likely the "Most Successfull" competitivly over the course of the 1960s decade, as they toured to Nationals, placed in Fianals almost every time, and managed to defeat almost all the Natioanlly Rated contendders of that ere at one time or another.

Elphaba

• 4 weeks later...

First of all....I apologize for leaving St. Ignatius Girls off the list. Being from upstate NY I (and others) tend to forget about the Islanders.

I would have to say the Iggies did do a fantastic job in All-Girl Class and should be mentioned. But mainly I was looking at corps that I remember in the 70's. Tom Peashey and Dick Hoppe should've have jumped in since they have a better historical perspective of NY drum corps than I do. I just try to get something going and have fun here, nothing more.

Please accept my apologies.

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't it a shame that 4 corps were not even mentioned in the poll. All four of them were on one of Fleetwood Recording Company's best recordings. They are as follows:

St. Cathrine's "Queensmen

Seldon "Golden Lancers"

Floyd Bennett " Golden Eagles"

Our Lady of Loretto

I hope you will try and get a copy of the CD and see what these corps could do with a single valve and slide "bugle"

CODI