Who was your greatest drum corps love?

YOU understand the language of "dut", how could you? You were both horn players!!! 

The language of "DUT" is only for drummers!!!  B) j/k

Rob, I told you in Denver I play the drums too. My brother taught me as well as some Lancers..in the corps hall. I play the drum set. Both of my brothers play pretty good. I've been told I can play pretty good too, I was a light tech in the music business for years! So I do understand the language of "dut" too, but anyway, my husband understands it as well, he's an all around musician guy as myself. It's just a phrase we made up. :) "We understand the language of dut"... :) As a matter of fact I think that should be for all drum corps marriages... :)

:o :blink:

Edited by Lancerlady

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK,easy one....

We competed AGAINST each other in jr. corps,(1963-1969) dated and married in sr. corps,(started dating in 1970,married in 1971) and are still "the one" in each others live

Donna from the guard, (rifle line),and me from the horn line,(baritone) and because of our relationship (and her teaching) I went in to the guard in the Conn. Hurricanes,(rifle line) and when we went to Sunrisers,Donna was in the rifle line and I was the guard capt. and asst Dm

34yrs later (and 2 children)......still the same fot BOTH of us!!

Tony B)

Edited by TennTux

She was more than a love, she was my best friend. In fact if anyone who knows her reads this please tell her I am looking for her. Her name is Donna P. She was with the Blue Knights of Co. back in the 70's. Her whole family would travel around in a motor home to all the shows. Her mom was a kick. Whenever I would see Donna it was as if we had just parted a few minutes ago and we would kick in to the conversation we had just left off with - I miss her very much.

So, if anyone here marched with the Blue Knights back in the mid 70's and knows who I am talking about, and most of all knows how to contact her please do and ask her if she wants to write. Please.

So, if anyone here marched with the Blue Knights back in the mid 70's and knows who I am talking about, and most of all knows how to contact her please do and ask her if she wants to write. Please.

There's a lady over at the Soundmachine (SM) board named Marianne (her SM handle is the same as her name) that marched BK from '68-'74. I don't know if those are your years of interest (the '70's were a long decade, there were like ten years in it :P ), but talking to her might be a start.

Hope this is a help, and best of luck finding her!

Had to chuckle over the marriage "duts" and all, as it is amazing how much drum corps is ingrained on our thinkings.

Example: At the marriage ceremony for The Redhead and I, when the Minister did his introduction of us after sealing the deal, as he said his "I now present Mr. & Mrs. Ron Housley," Jacquie and I looked over at each other and spontaneously mouthed quietly to ourselves and with great humor: "...Mark Time, HUT!"

RON HOUSLEY

"Stanley Knaub sang at our wedding."

Edited by ffernbus3

Had to chuckle over the marriage "duts" and all, as it is amazing how much drum corps is ingrained on our thinkings. 

Example: At the marriage ceremony for The Redhead and I, when the Minister did his introduction of us after sealing the deal, as he said his "I now present Mr. & Mrs. Ron Housley," Jacquie and I looked over at each other and spontaneously mouthed quietly to ourselves and with great humor: "...Mark Time, HUT!"

RON HOUSLEY

"Stanley Knaub sang at our wedding."

My husband and I are LMAO as I read this to him. Sounds like a marriage made in drum corps heaven! b**bs :blink:

There's a lady over at the Soundmachine (SM) board named Marianne (her SM handle is the same as her name) that marched BK from '68-'74.  I don't know if those are your years of interest (the '70's were a long decade, there were like ten years in it  :P ), but talking to her might be a start.

Hope this is a help, and best of luck finding her!

A-yup, I know I left it a little vauge... :blink: Oh well, but those would be the years, thanks. I will wqrite her immediately.

Thanks again :huh:

It was the fall of 1977 and I remember it like it was yesterday.

Her name was Sue, she was a sabre in the winter guard and I joined the corps to meet her.

I was working my paper route as usual on a quiet Friday afternoon in late October. I had stopped at the neighborhood convenient store as was my daily custom for an orange soda and some cheese curls halfway through the route.

Taking up residence at my usual spot inside the front right window, I began my regular conversation with Gail. She was the mom of a guy from the neighborhood that I went all the way from grammar school through high school with. They owned the convenient store and as I would soon find out, she was also the manager of the winter guard.

During the previous several weeks, a parade of attractive young women had gone back and forth between the store and Gail's house, which was directly across the street from the store, carrying a variety of guard implements. They all were coming over to see Gail and talk about upcoming practices and shows. Gail you see had one of those houses that was corps "central". (We all had one of those in our corps.)

Because they were so attractive and I knew that they were not from the neighborhood, I began to ask Gail what was going on. She told me about the winter guard and the drum corps. She kept things very low key but in retrospect, she knew I was a bari player in the school and must have been setting me up.

So after a few weeks of this hormone agitating activity, on this particular Friday, Sue bounded across the street from the house. She was exactly my type you see: Short, dark and petite.

That long straight brown hair and those big soft brown eyes......................

She came into the store to talk to Gail and flashed me a very friendly smile on the way out.

I was at the very next practice of course.

I spent hours watching the guard, Sue in particular, practicing their show. She was interested in me as well. During one part of the show the sabres were lined up in a vertical file on the 50 and were supposed to do a back handed toss across their body. Sue was in the front of the file and we spent a lot of time staring at eachother while she struggled to master that toss.

Sad to say, nothing ever came of it as one of the drummers pulled me aside and advised me I was headed straight for heartbreak with her.

Next thing I knew, I had a bari in my hand and was practicing scales in the shooting range of the local armory where we practiced.

I owe my life long love of the activity to her but haven't the faintest idea what became of her after we marched.

Two years later, the mrs. and I started dated during my sr year of high school and last year marching corps. She is a violinist and trumpet player and caught on to the corps things very quickly.

Although a civilian, she truly appreciates what it takes to put a show together. She has been a big fan of the Bridgemen, Phantom, Cavies and Scouts over the years. 3 years ago SCV clicked with her and she is a permanent member of their fan base now. She comes to Finals and East with me and knows that drum corps is a place that I truly feel at home.

Rob, I told you in Denver I play the drums too. 

:o  :blink:

Sorry Steph, I forgot!!!

The only think that really sticks out in my mind from Denver was meeting you and Roger and having that ESCAPED CRINIMAL staying in my hotel, RIGHT BESIDE MY ROOM!!! b**bs b**bs b**bs b**bs b**bs b**bs b**bs b**bs b**bs b**bs

i had a "civilian" girlfriend each of the years i marched corps. it actually ended up being a good thing, since it allowed me to focus a little better on the show! i did have a bit of a crush on a girl in the colorguard, but it never went anywhere. anyway, she also gave me #### for dating civilians.