The DCI Yearlys: 1986

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey John,

just as an aside - I LOVED Buccanneers last year (I love them pretty much every year). But last year - WOW!!!!

BTW - I was in Brigs last year (been marching there since 2000). I'm sitting this year out - due to work conflicts - ain't being an adult fun <**>

And I can't wait to hear the '87 Suncoast story.

Later,

Mike

8/17/86 DCI Finals

FBrass (Doyle)

SS

QAL 3.9 (1)---MUS 3.0 (1)---TCH 3.0 (1) TOT 9.9 (1)

BD

QAL 3.9 (1)---MUS 2.9 (3)---TCH 3.0 (1) TOT 9.8 (2)

SCV

QAL 3.8 (3)---MUS 3.0 (1)---TCH 2.9 (3) TOT 9.7 (3)

EBrass (Phillips)

BD

QAL 4.0 (1)---MUS 3.0 (1)---BAL 3.0 (1) TOT 10.0 (1)

SCV

QAL 4.0 (1)---MUS 2.9 (2)---BAL 3.0 (1) TOT    9.9 (2)

SS

QAL 3.9 (3)---MUS 2.8 (3)---BAL 2.9 (3) TOT    9.7 (3)

Total---BD 19.9---SCV 19.6---SS 19.5

This new math really confuses me.

BD: 10.0 + 9.8 = 19.9?

Suncoast: 9.9 + 9.7 = 19.5?

Its as simple as that. Wether anyone chooses to believe it or discredit it isnt going to alter the truth.

Your OPINION is duly noted. Thank you.

But isn't it funny how so many different people who actually WERE *directly* involved (and I'm not even talking about anyone who has posted in this thread) have differing views of the "truth?" I'm afraid the truth lies not in the extremes being bantered back and forth due to emotional attachments, but rather somewhere in the middle. (As it does so often in life.) And until some verifiable facts come forward that can be substantiated...which has yet to happen...I'm afraid that the "truth" as you or I or anyone else sees it is most often nothing more than our perceptions on a series of events that may or may not even be related.

But whatever. 27th was a great corps to watch that year. I always enjoyed watching them, and I wanted to see in them in Finals as much as anyone. In the end, I think it is arguable that they should have been in, but no more arguable than some of the other 13th place corps over the years. I loved the Troopers that year, and VK, and thought it really could have gone either way. They all had differing aspects to their program that were quite strong. They also had differeng aspects of their program that were relatively weak. And in a competition of this nature, sometimes those weaknesses come back to bite you in the end. Three tenths, folks. It really could have gone either way.

And yeah, audiodb, I guess Phantom couldn't have been too happy for Sky. :) I never got into Phantom that year. And I was glad when SkyRyders ended up ahead of them. I thought it was well deserved.

New math? No. It's From The Pressbox math. When you can't look at the recap right, this is the kind of math you get. Recap is too small to read. My trifocals aren't as strong as they should be. Ok idiot, lets try this again--hopefully this will come out right. (Don't count on it)

Screw the subcaptions, I'll screw those up again

--------Fld Brass--Ens Brass----Total

BD-------9.8 (2)----10.0 (1)---- 19.8

SCV-----9.7 (3)------9.9 (2)-----19.6

SS-------9.9 (1)------9.6 (3)-----19.5

What I should have done is point you to the website and it would have saved me a whole grief and embarrasement:1986 Finals Recap. Then again, you'll find a whole lot of errors there too. Never mind.

Go New Math Devils,

Gregg

w/Stp:

Phantom Regiment.  :sshh:

I've always wondered how much impact the food poisoning episode had on them...where they would've placed if it hadn't happened.

I was in England at the time with the USAF....and that incident actually made the Stars & Stripes newspaper!

I never got into Phantom that year.

Neither did our staff. Seriously, though, all the staffers that made Phantom Regiment great spent little time with the corps in 1986. Combine that with two straight years fielding 50% rookies, and we were lucky to be where we were.

Here's a 27th Lancer memory for Steph. This was shortly after the DCI East finals rainout, which was disheartening for us, and the following day's rout in Baltimore, where we lost all the previously-gained ground on Star of Indiana. Through it all, no one ever seemed concerned about our top-12 status. Fast-forward to the next night in West Chester, PA. We were circling the field before entering, while 27th performed. I hadn't seen their show before, but we had competed about ten times already with 27th slotted four points behind us. I mean, slotted. Always four points, no matter what. We could nail everything, or regress to pre-season performance level, but we'd always be four points ahead of the Lancers. Not three, not five - four.

Anyway, the crowd was going absolutely berserk for them. This was my first glimpse of the corps, and from what I could see and hear, the corps was getting the job done. I couldn't help but think, despite the past results, that we were in for a new threat.

It wasn't until after we performed to constant screaming and five standing ovations that I learned that the West Chester crowd responded that way to everyone. That eased my mind - until retreat, where the results had 27th slashing the spread to just 1.2 behind us.

Briefly, I wondered if our DCI finalist status could actually be in jeopardy by season's end.

(The spread reverted to four points at our next meeting, to my surprise. I was even more surprised when the results of semifinals came in.)

My memories are we got robbed of at least 10th place, if you want to know the truth. We did everything DCI wanted us too...and went with the "changes", had an incredible horn line, drum line, color guard,  staff, drill and got crapped on. I am bitter about 1986, because we deserved to be in finals and were robbed. If you have any questions just watch the video. Just listen to the show. I'm not implying anything about anyone else but I know that in 1985 it was different, I know it was close that year.

1986, no way we were 13th place. I don't care what the numbers say.

I remember a great relationship with Star and them helping us so much that year. Especially getting us to finals. They had a great show...Zingali did our drill that year, Dorritie did our music.  :ramd:  :ramd: I still don't get it to this day when I watch the show sometimes.

Then we folded that year too and it was my age out year. I remember running through the stands at finals with other corps memebers carrying a  a big ### sign that said, "We gave it our best", (I can't remember all that it said). I remember Star putting my shoes and spats on the field in the "27" number as a tribute for us at retreat... :blink:

More later, I get sad thinking about it still.. :(

While finals that year is one of my saddest memories, because of the 2-7 banner and knowing what that meant, I disagree with you. I am not qualified to judge and neither are you, or nearly anyone else on here for that matter. However, there's no way I would have placed anyone outside the top 10 in the top 10. As rough as Phantom was that year, they were definitely better than any show beneath them. Were you guys put in 11th place, 12th place, or 13th place, I wouldn't have argued. It's really such a shame that the cards didn't fall differently, but I doubt DCI was out to bring down 2-7!

We're you there in 1986? You don't know what happened. It's already been established that two corps were asked to change their identities for the sake of "going with the changes". They asked "Velvet Knights" to be serious... :blink:

They asked us to get with the new changes...If you don't want to "buy the story" that is your problem, but don't come here preaching about what you think when you weren't there in those organizations, you don't know the sacrifices and the situation of what was going on with these corps.

Just like the politics of today that exists..."you don't have to buy amps, but if you want to stay in the top 12...."....you fill in the blank...

Yeah, if you want to look through your rose colored glasses that's fine, but don't preach to me about what you "think"...cause I ain't buying it either.

And for the record I'm glad George B. folded when he did, cause he was going out "on top", he wasn't going to fall down into the bottomless pit..It wasn't all about financial reasons for not fielding in 1987. Many other factors...some might not think 13th place is "on top" but we knew in our hearts were we stood....in the fans eyes..

Were you there? I mean, did you see the performances LIVE that you claim you should have beaten? What makes you qualified to judge brass, percussion, visual, and GE? Wow, you should be inducted into the DCI Hall of Fame for your top notch judging skills, for they must be the most impressive I've ever seen. I am sorry, but I get so ####### tired of people #####ing about scores all the ####### time when when push comes to shove they don't know #### about judging. You got 13th place. The judges felt you deserved 13th place and were not out to punish you. Focus on the joy 2-7 brought to the activity. Don't bring bitterness into the picture. It was 20 years ago - move on!