My First Experience With The Early Years

I mentioned in another thread that in early 79 I used to rehearse with a valve (piston)-rotor mellophone and perform in the competitions with a two-valve mellophone.  We used to borrow a horn from the corps that performed before us.

First time I saw 2 valvers was at '79 DCI East Prelims at Allentown. We had an evening show somewhere in Jersey so corps management let us watch a couple of hours of Prelims. First Jr show in three years I could actually watch (not counting PBS) so seeing upright valves (and Madisons trombonium) was a shock.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out 68-72 - Kilties (esp. 69), Cavaliers, Troopers, BAC, 27th, Anaheim & SCV in their infancy - starting in 68 the horns started sounding more "tuned" somehow (don't know why!) and less "bugly" (if that's a word!) - really great performances with ancient instruments then!

So, I bought my season pass today and had the idea to listen to the 1972 playlist.  Wow, I was blown away with the hornline!  To think they were doing that with a valve and a piston!  I just can't believe the sound.  I'm sorry if you think this was a useless topic, but I thought that it would be refreshing for you "old guys" to see someone who is young appreciating the early years.

Any suggestions on other shows I should check out?

A few off the top I'd check out...

SCV

Blue Stars

27th Lancers

Muchachos

Argonne

SCV

Cavies

Scouts

SCV

27th Lancers

Blue Devils

Phantom

Bridgemen

Phantom

Garfield

SCV

Phantom

North Star

27th Lancers

Bridgemen

Phantom

27th Pancers

Bridgemen

Spirit of Atlanta

SATOR

AREPO

TENET

OPERA

ROTAS

I think therefore I am a bugle? :P

Another kick butt horn line that I enjoyed was 1977 Blue Stars! :blink: I watched that show the other night and was in awe of them..Loved those color guard short shorts, my husband told me all you guys drooled over them! :huh: :)

I was also digging on that 1977 Madison show..."West Side Story"

And I liked the 1977 Cavaliers, my husband said he thought Jim Elvord did their music does anyone know? That was some cool obscure writing going on there. :)

Edited by Lancerlady

How in the #### could Madison do West Side story with all boys???

Hehehehehehehehe.... b**bs