The DCI Yearlys: 1987

Hey all,

more of my '87 memories:

Seeing Dutch Boy and totally loving the whole Vegas / Showgirl package. I couldn't believe the audience response they got every show when the guard whipped off the capes - who said great GE moments had to be complicated :P I knew then that they were Canada's newest hope for a top 12 corps

It was the year I fell in love with Phantom Regiment again. '85 & '86 left me scratching my head. But just seeing that white / black / silver mass enter the field sent shivers down your spine. The whole "winter" look was just sooooooooo cool.

Cadets rifle line - uuuhhhhh yeah - not sure why they ever kept that part in. Bet they had to tighten their straps often though :blink:

Being happy for Bluecoats making top 12 for the first time - but also being sad since we had been beating them the year before (It just made me wonder what could have happened had my corps not folded)

Sky Ryders - amazing, amazing show. Funniest memory: Maria & Tony run off at the end of the show and out of the stadium - very beautiful & emotional ending. At one show though, they kinda tripped on the track and fell flat on their faces - it was just funny

Blue Devils - never really understood the show that year. It just seemed so disjointed and thrown together. And what was with the guard in white shoes?????

Later,

Mike

Oh, and I forgot one other observation from 87:

Ryan Turner, what a hot DM you were! :blink:

Edited by SBrancheau

Ryan Turner, what a hot DM you were!  :beer:

Sallllllllllllllllllllllly....careful now! You're getting THIS reaction here.... :blink:

Yeah--trust me, when I see myself from back then I realize something...

White pants really do look bad on a fat white guy.

But thanks for the compliments! You should see what 18 years does to former drum majors! :tic::tic::wall::tic:

Ummm...how about 20 years on a former guard girl?

I feel your pain, fella; trust me!

Oh, gosh, gotta disagree with you there, Sally! (But, of course, this is what happens when we're asked for our opinions. No "drawing and quartering" from me, though!) Santa Clara's '87 show is one of my all-time favorites . . . and it's one of the very few times I could've tolerated a first-place tie at finals. I thought the props were blended in beautifully with the drill so that the whole thing was seamless. If you'd said that about '86, then I'd agree with you, but by '87, they'd really streamlined their approach to props and costumes and turned it into something of an art form, IMO. One of the most searingly emotional performances I can recall.

When asked to choose between this show and Garfield's, I'm torn. I felt that Garfield had a huge amount of complexity and demand, in terms of music and drill, but that guard was not one of their better ones, IMO. Lovely, yes, and they fit in well with what the corps staged that year. One of the most beautiful guard uniforms ever. But certainly not the strongest guard they've ever fielded, in terms of content and technique. And it's not the cleanest show the corps has ever performed . . . though it's hard to fault them, given the show's demand. Sometimes I'm amazed that they were able to pull it off at all. Santa Clara, on the other hand, seemed to have a much more balanced corps throughout all the sections, though their program wasn't as complex. Still, I felt the balance of demand and execution was high enough to give them the edge . . . though I don't question Garfield winning, because I love that show, too.

Sue,

I am going to take this one step further than you. I thought the Cadets performance(not to mention the guard) was VERY flat and uninspiring. While the show was demanding(which doesn't necesarily make it good) it was not the least bit entertaining to me at all. The guard was dirty, and the guard book was not that demanding. How they beat SCV only the judges know.

SCV show I absolutely loved. The entertainment was there,the excitement, nuance, detail, and that off the hook rifle line. Thematic shows make me barf, but I really liked SCV's show that year.

It was a fun year for me,and I aged out on top.

THE END

:worthy:

Sue,

I am going to take this one step further than you.  I thought the Cadets performance(not to mention the guard) was VERY flat and uninspiring.  While the show was demanding(which doesn't necesarily make it good) it was not the least bit entertaining to me at all. The guard was dirty, and the guard book was not that demanding.  How they beat SCV only the judges know.

SCV show I absolutely loved.  The entertainment was there,the excitement, nuance, detail, and that off the hook rifle line.  Thematic shows make me barf, but I really liked SCV's show that year.

Hence, SCV won GE by quite a bit, I believe.

1987 was a bit of a disappointment for me compared to 1986. I loved the show both years. In 1986 everything seemed to click. 1987 didn't click as much. We won more shows and placed higher in finals in 86, but I enjoyed playing the 1987 more than the 1986 show. I also think Spirit's 1987 show had more to grab the crowd than did 1986, but the GE numbers don't reflect this thought. History shows that Spirit was 10th in 1987, but in fact we were slotted around 6th up until the last week.

Other than Spirit my favorites were (in no particular order):

SCV

VK

Cadets

Sky Ryders

Florida Wave (they were great!)

Phantom Regiment

Edited by Beau R

1987 was a bit of a disappointment for me compared to 1986.  I loved the show both years.  In 1986 everything seemed to click.  1987 didn't click as much.  We won more shows and placed higher in finals in 86, but I enjoyed playing the 1987 more than the 1986 show.  I also think Spirit's 1987 show had more to grab the crowd than did 1986, but the GE numbers don't reflect this thought.  History shows that Spirit was 10th in 1987, but in fact we were slotted around 6th up until the last week.

Other than Spirit my favorites were (in no particular order):

SCV

VK

Cadets

Sky Ryders

Florida Wave (they were great!)

Phantom Regiment

I hope to post more about our experiences that year, but I have said and will still say that I have no idea how we beat Spirit in 87, just as I have no idea how the green shirts put Spirit ahead of us in 88. Doesn't really matter... but that's how I feel.

Right on the spot with Wave... they were really fun that year.

And Phantom's Songs from the Winter Palace.... :worthy: The opening soprano lick was tasty tasty tasty... and this from a contra guy!

Sue,

I am going to take this one step further than you.  I thought the Cadets performance(not to mention the guard) was VERY flat and uninspiring.  While the show was demanding(which doesn't necesarily make it good) it was not the least bit entertaining to me at all. The guard was dirty, and the guard book was not that demanding.  How they beat SCV only the judges know.

SCV show I absolutely loved.  The entertainment was there,the excitement, nuance, detail, and that off the hook rifle line.  Thematic shows make me barf, but I really liked SCV's show that year.

Chris is right; Santa Clara did win GE that night (see recap), so all the characteristics you described were covered by that top score. In fact, Santa Clara won three captions--GE, brass and visual--but placed second across the board to Garfield in percussion, and ended up losing by only a tenth of a point.