While scanning through some of the DCA posts, I've noticed that many of the current DCA members have belonged to two, three or even four different Corps! What's up with that??? When I marched in the Bucs during the 80's you were loyal to your Corp and that was where you stayed until you either burned out or died! I can understand joining another Corp if your's folded, but I've seen some cases where members have jumped from one Corp to a Heated Rival ^0^ .

Do you think that this practice softened some of the rivalries? All I know is that in the 80's I would have rather be hit by a bus than wear bell bottoms <**> (no offense guys, I know that the feeling was mutual).

Just a rambling though....... :blink:

Gige

Reading Buccaneers 1980-86 (and thats all!)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While scanning through some of the DCA posts, I've noticed that many of the current DCA members have belonged to two, three or even four different Corps!  What's up with that???  When I marched in the Bucs during the 80's you were loyal to your Corp and that was where you stayed until you either burned out or died!  I can understand joining another Corp if your's folded, but I've seen some cases where members have jumped from one Corp to a Heated Rival  ^0^ . 

Do you think that this practice softened some of the rivalries?  All I know is that in the 80's I would have rather be hit by a bus than wear bell bottoms  <**>  (no offense guys, I know that the feeling was mutual).

Gige

some people had to move to make a living

Hey Gige! good to see a fellow Buc oldie in here!

Since the two times I left corps, they were to go from non-competition (Hershey) to competition (Westshore), and from a soon to be folded (Westshore) to an active (Bucs), I can't truly answer your question, as posed. But the fact that a lot of people just went from place to place always did set me to wonder.

I spent 5 years with Westshore, and was ready to retire when they decided to fold, so I figured I would be a "body" at practice until I knew that they had enough to fill in my blank. As that pre-season wore on, I found that I couldn't leave as I wa part of the nucleus. Once they decided that they weren't going to field a corps and basically become a parade corps to attempt to keep the name alive, I was already into the season, and went along with several people to Danville to join Bucs. (Met you guys, and had a party of a time the rest of the season, came back in 85, and felt the need to help out in 88)

As someone that was never in a "heated" battle with Reading while marching Westshore, I didn't have a hard time joining. I always had a respect for Reading (Due to Skee being my high school drum instructor) and for the most part, never was in extreme heated competition with them, either they had a great year and we didn't, or we had a great year and you didn't. (Ricky Lee, for example was in during the 78 season, and apparently that was a heated year between Westshore, coming UP and and Reading having sort of an off year, so they were in heated battles.) SO I remember Rick having a tough time actually joining, but once he crossed that bridge, he was fine with it (and came back the next year)

Apart from geographic or "revenge" I would be curious to hear reasons! (and I concur, I would rather get hit by a bus than wear the magic Bell Bottoms!!...not that there's anything wrong with that!)

Good to see ya Gige! I'll pour myself a Tanqueray and tonic in your honor!

While scanning through some of the DCA posts, I've noticed that many of the current DCA members have belonged to two, three or even four different Corps!  What's up with that???  When I marched in the Bucs during the 80's you were loyal to your Corp and that was where you stayed until you either burned out or died!  I can understand joining another Corp if your's folded, but I've seen some cases where members have jumped from one Corp to a Heated Rival  ^0^ . 

Do you think that this practice softened some of the rivalries?  All I know is that in the 80's I would have rather be hit by a bus than wear bell bottoms  <**>  (no offense guys, I know that the feeling was mutual).

Gige

Hey Gige!  good to see a fellow Buc oldie in here!

Since the two times I left corps, they were to go from non-competition (Hershey) to competition (Westshore), and from a soon to be folded (Westshore) to an active (Bucs), I can't truly answer your question, as posed. But the fact that a lot of people just went from place to place always did set me to wonder. 

I spent 5 years with Westshore, and was ready to retire when they decided to fold, so I figured I would be a "body" at practice until I knew that they had enough to fill in my blank.  As that pre-season wore on, I found that I couldn't leave as I wa part of the nucleus. Once they decided that they weren't going to field a corps and basically become a parade corps to attempt to keep the name alive, I was already into the season, and went along with several people to Danville to join Bucs. (Met you guys, and had a party of a time the rest of the season, came back in 85, and felt the need to help out in 88)

As someone that was never in a "heated" battle with Reading while marching Westshore, I didn't have a hard time joining. I always had a respect for Reading (Due to Skee being my high school drum instructor) and for the most part, never was in extreme heated competition with them, either they had a great year and we didn't, or we had a great year and you didn't.  (Ricky Lee, for example was in during the 78 season, and apparently that was a heated year between Westshore, coming UP and and Reading having sort of an off year, so they were in heated battles.) SO I remember Rick having a tough time actually joining, but once he crossed that bridge, he was fine with it (and came back the next year)

Apart from geographic or "revenge" I would be curious to hear reasons! (and I concur, I would rather get hit by a bus than wear the magic Bell Bottoms!!...not that there's anything wrong with that!)

Good to see ya Gige! I'll pour myself a Tanqueray  and tonic in your honor!

B) as an old schooler(late 60's to 70's)-I can't stand those "bell bottoms" either :sshh:

Gige

I going to guess "just" DCA?(some of us go back before DCI,in Jr. corps)

My story....

Renegades,Mass. (1970-1973)(RCA) folded

Conn.Hurricanes,(1974) all male in 1974

L.I.Sunrisers, we (Donna & I),both wanted to march (1975-1985)

Tony B)

B) as an old schooler(late 60's to 70's)-I can't stand those "bell bottoms" either :sshh:

During our (yet another) rebuilding year in '85 we had one member "wear bell bottoms". :P He was planning to quit marching after oh so many years and wanted a shot at a title. He was up front about it so I don't think there were any hard feelings. When the "bell bottoms" :P won, we cheered him and he stepped out of line and gave us a big "Rocky" pose with a huge grin.

I was with Westshore when they reformed in '74 (first year marching) and '84 (glutton for punishment :sshh: ). Only hard feelings I saw was for members who didn't return the day the corps started back up. Really stupid as some of these members gave their word to the new corps that they would stay for the whole season. As a result of the hard feelings of some, most of these people did not return when the next season started.

All I know is that in the 80's I would have rather be hit by a bus than wear bell bottoms  <**>  (no offense guys, I know that the feeling was mutual).

Gige

Oh my God, Gige!!! Pass the Tanquaray!

I have experienced that same sentiment. Since I've lived in Orlando I have been "invited" to join Heat Wave several times by their director, Vic Kulinski. Aside from the fact Vic was a member of the 81 Hurcs (some things you simply cannot forget, you know what I mean), I have tried to explain to him that my loyalties are still very strong. There is only one color uniform I would put on again...and that's Buccaneer Blue!

Marty, if you want more Gin, you'll have to crawl across the parking lot and get the 1/2 gallon bottle yourself! :mmm:

While you're there, get me a LIME B) .....

Hey buddy......

Oh my God, Gige!!! Pass the Tanquaray!

I have experienced that same sentiment. Since I've lived in Orlando I have been "invited" to join Heat Wave several times by their director, Vic Kulinski. Aside from the fact Vic was a member of the 81 Hurcs (some things you simply cannot forget, you know what I mean), I have tried to explain to him that my loyalties are still very strong. There is only one color uniform I would put on again...and that's Buccaneer Blue!

WOW ~ i see that as silliness and stubborness. you moved. you are denying yourself something you enjoy doing because of some "tradition" that died out years ago. :(

Just a rambling though....... :worthy:

Gige

Seems silly to me that by allowing yourself the opportunity to experience different corps programs from the inside would not be seen as a good thing. I have marched with many people over the years who, like you, will only march with one corps. Often times I find these same individuals very short sighted as to the nature of what each drum corp's program can teach you. That is, of course, if you desire to make yourself a better player/performer.