Santa Clara Vanguard 1992- 91.8!?!?!?

I'm with the above posters. The show was ok, but weak in relation to the shows above it.

For me, the musical end of the show was pure retro - I liked the Fiddler stuff the first time(s) around in the early 70s, but going back and doing it again felt more like a 'tribute corps' than an original concept. To say it was light years ahead of the more adventurous Cavaliers book is a little odd, but hey, whatever floats one's boat...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DrumCorpFan

SCV was one of the most, if not the most enjoyable show of the year IMO. But, enjoyability is not weighted very strongly in the scoring system, hence, the placement they got.

But, enjoyability is not weighted very strongly in the scoring system, hence, the placement they got.

exactly, most of my favorite shows dont even make finals...or are div II/III shows. I enjoyed this show, but just because you like a show doesnt mean it should have won, my examlpe would be Madison 1999 awesome show, but the corps above them had better ones, maybe not my favorites. but they performed better(in someones eyes ^0^ )

92 was DEEP there was a huge chunk at the top before a 2nd tier really. probably about twice as many corps in that first tier that year than now

This was Gail’s last show and it was also the 25th anniversary show. I know his intent was to do a whole retro thing from marching the old style symmetrical drill to the guard wearing boots and then moving forward in time as the show progressed. It seems the judges didn’t understand the concept. Because of that the show went through numerous changes. Although the corps was talented, too many changes meant nothing had a chance to get clean, thus lower scores.

i'm not sure what show u listened to when u compared 92' to 89', in my opinion there are only a handful of shows that are on the same ballcourt as 89'. Personally(its only my opinion) 89' was one of the most emotional show ever put on a Drum Corps field period. :D

SCV was one of the most, if not the most enjoyable show of the year IMO.  But, enjoyability is not weighted very strongly in the scoring system, hence, the placement they got.

i agree it was a fun show. but dirty is dirty, and man they were dirty

i agree it was a fun show. but dirty is dirty, and man they were dirty

...agreed.

from the marching down the field/ splitting to 4 lines thing on was pretty messy... i found myself closing my eyes and just enjoying the arrangments.

I'll admit, I haven't seen the visual portion of the show, but the music is just excellent (completely entertaining, emotional, and lightyears ahead of what the Cavaliers put on the field that year) and the performance does not seem a bit below that of 1989. So what happened? Was it visually dirty? Poor visual GE? A big mishap? Answers would be greatly appreciated.

As bad as you think they were, we were worse. :P

okay, heres what I think. I actually just watched this show on the 1992 dvd a few days ago.

Music, sounds pretty amazing to me, but since I'm a visual guy, I'm gonna focus on that.

The dril/visual book, IMO, although performed well, the written drill book didn't push SCV into the next level. If anything it represented SCV from the past very well, but didn't push the envelope like many corps where doing that year.

The guard didn't help the visual aspect either. They didn't use any rifles and sabres during the show. It was all the opening flag (the same flag that they use for the entire show...kinda boring) and the bottle dance.

As for the corps attire....The hats they wore that year complemented the show theme very well.