Hershey Spectaculat cancelled

(sent to patriot news)

subject: Dont mess with HERCO...

So I guess a bunch of school-kids are the event planners for HERCO. You have a company that goes against its own event contracts (as testified in court) and will screw you if you put up a grievance. Five-Star Brass did what any company would do in taking legal action, but if you pick on the bully, you get squashed. HERCO tries to save face, put Destiny’s Child in the Giant Center – a decent gesture- but then put a 110% markup on the fees to rent the stadium? That is just a shining example of the corporate greed and pettiness that has taken root in Chocolatetown. I hear Michael Eisner’s looking for work, he’d fit great at HERCO. God help anyone who fills out a negative comment-card at HersheyPark, they just may come home to a bag of melted chocolate on their doorstep.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just received a very interesting reply from Melissa Bird at HERCO:

In case you don't know the Five Star Brass event IS indeed happening that

day at 5 PM in HERSHEYPARK Stadium.

Melissa Bird

Public Relations Coordinator

Hershey Entertainment & Resorts, Co.

(P) 717-534-8945

(F) 717-534-3165

MBird@HersheyPA.com

Jeff: Any idea why she would have said that?

because she is not aware the rape...err contract they offered was deemed financially unwise

they're not used to which contracts are written and which ones are 'coveniently verbal and easy to screw you on'

the bottom line is HERCO got ###### and jacked the prices on the contract to unacceptable levels.

they forget how much they would make on parking and concessions.

they want that stadium for concerts period.

congrats Winston Salem, you won DCA 06 unless you melt down on the show weekend

This really sucks.  I always enjoyed the Hershey show.  Now I will only get to one show this year.

always Lewisburg and Reading man, always Lewisburg and Reading

Just sent to the Patriot News:

Dear Patriot News, I've been informed that as of today, the Hershey Spectacular, the drum and bugle corps competition long associated with Hershey's stadium, has been cancelled, and in my opinion, all in the name of greed. The negotiations to secure the site with a written contract instead of the oral agreement used for many years, failed to come to an agreement that would've been fair to both parties and especially to the many, many drum corps fans from around the country as well as international fans. The announcement of cancellation stated that "Several key items of the contract were of issue, most notably was an estimated price increase in excess of 110%". Five Star Brass Productions wasn't looking to increase their ticket prices by 110% and in fact, in their annual mailing, they reaffirm their desire, intent and position to hold the cost of the competition to its current level. To me, that means that Hershey Entertainment had no true intent to allow this competition to take place in their stadium and they put Five Star Brass Productions at a distinct disadvantage knowing that the FSB Productions organization would not charge typically accepted exorbitant entertainment prices for a drum corps competition event. To me, this was an attempt to capitalize on the drum corps world's desire to see some of the best drum corps in the world right here in central Pennsylvania.

With that, I applaud Five Star Brass Production's stance in that they refused to take the typical big corporation stance of over charging the public for entertainment. I applaud them for maintaining their values and for keeping those of the drum corps fan base in the forefront of their negotiating position. I respect all of their efforts on behalf of those of us that love the activity. At the same time, I abhor the Hershey position. I abhor that money is so much at the forefront of their very existence. I abhor much of what they have grown to become; Hershey Park happy? I don't think so. From parking fees to the cost of ANY entertainment associated with the Hershey name. . .well, as the price goes up, I can tell you how little I have gone to Hershey for any entertainment. And I can now tell you how much less I will go.

Shame on you Hershey. Would it have been so bad to allow this event? No, it might've even been historic!