Westlake Village

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in response to the original post and poster:

wow.  we have something in common - almost.  i, like you, actually bought tickets not to see and enjoy all of the shows performed, only all the shows beside SCV - as I've found through the years (and is in full effect here) that many of their alums are high-horse elitists that look down at everyone (at least those from fifth place on down) - and that they have a show only their poor mothers would actually want to sit through.

with love and respect...

Ace Cannon

What a lie. There was no "love" or "respect" in your post. Sarcasm, yes... It amazes me to see the low maturity level of some of the posters on this board... You obviously don't like SCV, but don't say stupid things like "...they have a show only their poor mothers would actually want to sit through." Grow up.

You obviously don't like SCV, but don't say stupid things like "...they have a show only their poor mothers would actually want to sit through."  Grow up.

you obviously didn't read the original post that i was responding to in the first place. i'll quote:

I didn't stay for the scores because Mystical was giving the encore performance. Why would any one but a mom or dad stay to listen to a corps with nine horns play a concert?

Edited by acecannon

Yes, I noticed SCV won every subcaption except guard, where they came in THIRD behind Mandarins and Crest... troubling...

I think this is because their guard work isn't finished... I think the judges on the west coasts are doing it right, and not giving them high scores for unfinished work... which is how it should be. The guards scores will jump when they have all the work... maybe a point and a half (maybe two).

I didn't stay for the scores because Mystical was giving the encore performance.  Why would any one but a mom or dad stay to listen to a corps with nine horns play a concert? 

Harrison...I wasn't going to say anything in response to your post...was simply going to let it slide.

However, the more time I've had to reflect on this, the more I'm not too happy with some of your comments.

As far as your review goes, I have no qualms about your opinions...however, to make the statement above is to slap every performing member of Mystikal in the face. Really not called for. These kids work EVERY bit as hard as the groups with 60 & 70 horns...in fact, they have to work harder because they're working with less...

Oh, and btw...there were 16 horn players out there, not nine. And, I could have been prouder to hear them play their concert...which, was given proper applause by those who stuck around. Was it Vanguard? Of course not...But, I couldn't have been prouder of a group as I was for them on Sunday.

If you don't care for smaller groups, that's fine. But don't make stupid, mean-spirited comments like these. No performer needs to see it, or hear it.

Hey Ace...you going to comment on the "harshing" of the Mystical kids by Harrison? Or you just reserving that for me?

in response to the original post and poster:

wow.  we have something in common - almost.  i, like you, actually bought tickets not to see and enjoy all of the shows performed, only all the shows beside SCV - as I've found through the years (and is in full effect here) that many of their alums are high-horse elitists that look down at everyone (at least those from fifth place on down) - and that they have a show only their poor mothers would actually want to sit through.

with love and respect...

Ace Cannon

I like your name. Sounds like a General's name. Your name rocks!!

I'm not sure how long you have been going to shows, but I can remember when you could go to all the shows in So Cal, which I did, and watch 4 top 12 corps. I use to roam the parking lot and come in when the first one performed. I stopped doing that several years ago and generally watch everyone. A special exception was the Riverside show when The Cadets were in town. For some reason, DCI thinks they can schedule a good year (Cadets on 01, Phantom in 03-giving us three Top 12 corps to see) then give us one Top 12 corps to view the following year. I think it was 02 when BD last went to Europe and 04 when SCV went up to Washington. Last year So Cal was blessed with Tour of Champions, so it only makes sense to give us one Top 12 corps this year. We get quality shows with quality performers every other year.

As for elitism-I won't disagree with you. I haven't and probably never will buy a ticket to a drum corps show unless a high quality corps or my kid is performing. I have a problem watching drum corps that is not the best. I hardly like some shows with great performers (Cadets 2004 comes to mind). When there are only two high quality corps this side of the continental divide, it's pretty easy to say who would have to be there in order to get me to buy a ticket. Besides, I always buy four or more tickets and invite friends or potential members. My nephew marched Impulse one year because I took him to a show and he liked it. He tried out right there on the spot, went home, packed his bags and off on tour the next day. I also donate to SCV (the green feather club this year) and Pacific Crest. I whole heartedly support Pacific Crest. I believe in what they're doing for their participants. They don't need to charge me an entrance fee and perform a show in order for me to financially support them. As for other alums, most if not all marched in smaller corps before joining their dream corps. I marched in The Freelancers. My best friend marched in the Royal Cavaliers and Freelancers. Many of my friends marched in a group (think it was a summer band) from Sunnyvale. Pee Wee marched VK. Greg, another friend, marched Kingsmen (mid 80s-tough years). All of us wanted more than the small groups offered, a chance to be the best. So I'm guilty as charged. I like quality drum corps and will only buy tickets to shows with quality.

FYI-I only buy the Top 12 DVDs and CDs, I don't go the DCI Finals because all the corps look and sound so similar, I did go to the movie thing last year and watched all the shows, I bought the DCI Season Pass to support the activity (because the content isn't very good) and I only have and listen to recordings of all DCI Top 12 from 1977 to 2004.

Hey Ace...you going to comment on the "harshing" of the Mystical kids by Harrison?  Or you just reserving that for me?

actually, i did - in so many words. i'd really like to see you (who "bleeds drum corps") play a little defense.

and as an aside... i think it's hilarious (depressingly so) that my biting comments against people posting statements like "a show only a mom and dad would want to see" are the ones that get the most response. but i guess that's what happens when you have a "family of thousands" willing to back them up.

whatever,

Ace

Hey ACE...

I'm a proud SCV alum, but IN NO WAY, SHAPE OR FORM agree, or even condone, what Harrison posted. In fact, I can say with reasonable assurance, very few SCV alumni would.

Just because there are a few who snub there noses at smaller corps, please don't lump all SCV alumni into that catagory...most of us are good, solid supporters of the activity - in ALL of its forms.

Just because there are a few who snub there noses at smaller corps, please don't lump all SCV alumni into that catagory...most of us are good, solid supporters of the activity - in ALL of its forms.

believe me, i realize that a few bad apples aren't indicative of the whole bunch. it's just that these comments get under my skin a bit because when you look at the big picture (the entire activity) - everybody is out there doing the same thing regardless of size and the level of achievement.

i also know that the SCV organization is one of the classiest in the business. in fact, i understand from an SCV alum friend that Mystikal is playing on some of Vanguard's old G bugles this season.