Westlake Village

Stadium was pretty good-seats were great because I spent a little extra to get into the comfy section. My seat was at the top of the stadium around the 45 on side 2. Show was also about a mile from my house. DADDY LIKE!!!

Frankly, I bought four tickets to see Vanguard and Pacific Crest. The rest were just bonus tracks. I didn't stay for the scores because Mystical was giving the encore performance. Why would any one but a mom or dad stay to listen to a corps with nine horns play a concert? I lso didn't take any notes. I preferred to sit back and enjoy the shows.

PRE-SHOW - SCV Clinic

We got there just after they started their final run through. We watched some of the show from the hill behind the press box, from the parking lot. Went down and watched Russian Christmas Music from inside the stadium. SCV plays beautifully, fantastic. They actually play music with melodies and harmony throughout their show. They arced up and played some Phantom and then Clowns. I really enjoyed the sound of the horn line.

Hawthorn Gold-missed them while getting food.

Dream-They put out, but I'm just not interested, had a nice high note player.

Jester - As I was leaving, I think I heard they scored a 30.5 or so. I think that was generous.

SCV Cadets – Surprisingly they were not that good. I just don’t remember anything about the performance, except the drum major was pretty good.

Impulse - too serious. They goof around before the show, play serious classical music with intensity; they goof off as they leave. They should have more goofiness during their show. Seemed a little bipolar I guess. Sounded and looked OK.

Blue Devils B - Better than they've even been. Corps seems to have matured and they captured my interest a little. I'm not a BD fan, so there's no reason why I hype on their feeder corps.

The Academy - first full sounding corps of the night. Really dark and rather depressing show. Very good for a DIV 2. Should be Div 1. All sections relatively strong.

Mystical - have no idea why they went on after intermission. They're very small, relatively uninteresting. Had one kid sticking high notes.

Esperanza - Enjoyed their show, but would not have paid to see them without SCV.

Pacific Crest - didn't seem like they had a very good show. They do all the things the big corps do, but just not at the same level. They're just younger than SCV, BD, etc, so they're not as proficient. I whole-heartedly support this group. I think they're doing the right thing by staying as a regional corps. I also like the board and everyone I've met from the organization.

Mandarins - seemed like they had a good show. They're not full sized, something like 48 horns or so. The players seem mature, but the small size hurts them when compared to full sized corps.

Vanguard - I paid $88 (4 X $22) to see them tonight and they were worth every penny. I marched Vanguard and have always loved them. This music is great and very entertaining. Their warm-up starts with their typical SCV chord progression, but turns into some Adagio For Strings - daddy really like!! I also dig the new uniforms. I like the white pants look, they’re bright on the field. Love the white shoes! Tops look SCV, but the basic shape looks like every other drum corps top. The show itself is fantastic. The horn line is fabulous. They have a deep dark sound, classic SCV. They were the only corps to fill the air with sound. Some groups play sound at you, but the great ones fill the air all around you with sound. They also played very in tune, the only corps to do so. Nice intonation, pitch control, etc. Solid musicianship. The guard has about half their work-lot of walking around holding a pose. It looked like their uniforms came in. They're black with white lines-looked a little like skinny ropes-for the ladies (each one had a little different layout) and the guys had white shirts under their open tuxedo-like black tops. I seemed as if the drum line -guess only the snares actually - is carrying the drums around their knees. It didn't bother me at all, but I noticed it. There also seemed to be a couple holes. The marching leaves you wanting more. Russian Christmas Music drill is BORING. Reminded me of something back in 1978 or so - pretty bad. Anything short of an entire rewrite is useless. The music is screaming out for some running, flying boxes/triangles/circles/anything, but it's pretty plain. There is so much they can do and it looks like nothing. That is the only bad thing I can say about their show. Other than that, I think their horn line is better than last year, and I thought they were fabulous last year. Their arrangements were the only musical ones of the night. They play beautiful and flowing melodies, counter melodies, harmony, and they play the entire passage of music, not just 16 beats to match the drill move. Nothing seemed forced or altered; it seemed like a nice piece of well-played music. The sound they had tonight reminded me of why I have always loved Vanguard and made me very proud to be associated with them. Drum line-I just don't know about that stuff. Guard, right up there with drums to me. If they fix the drill issues, they could make a run for the title. They have the music, but not the drill. In this day of drill first, them maybe music, this show doesn't have a chance as written.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hawthorn Gold-missed them while getting food.

A shame...we saw them from teh side while waiting to enter the field...nice little program. Fully supported by the school district, apparently...you should at least give them the courtesy of a listen.

Dream-They put out, but I'm just not interested, had a nice high note player.

*Bites tongue....*

Mystical - have no idea why they went on after intermission. They're very small, relatively uninteresting. Had one kid sticking high notes.

Because they were co-hosting the show with Dream...and the host corps usually doesn;t have to go on when people are still filing in from the parking lot.

The guard has about half their work-lot of walking around holding a pose. 

Yes, I noticed SCV won every subcaption except guard, where they came in THIRD behind Mandarins and Crest... troubling...

A shame...we saw them from teh side while waiting to enter the field...nice little program. Fully supported by the school district, apparently...you should at least give them the courtesy of a listen.

*Bites tongue....*

Because they were co-hosting the show with Dream...and the host corps usually doesn;t have to go on when people are still filing in from the parking lot.

So we attend the same show and all you can muster up are complaints about my review and a scream? The program covers three shows and only the Westlake Village show started at 6PM. I read a 6:30 schedule. Thinking we had more time, we went to a restaurant, shared a nice meal with an old drum corps/college friend, and came back while they were on the field. My bad. Quite frankly, I'm tired of seeing nice little programs. I also think you're in Dream and I don't hear you playing any high notes, so don't slap those in your group that do. Maybe that guy will quit and force you to play solos. In the least he should come up to you and say something. You owe him an appology and should be thankful he's in the group. Mystical going on after the intermission has nothing to do with people filing in from the parking lot. Behind me was an empty row for standing. There were a couple of staffers there during the show, but it filled up when SCV came on. Who really cares about when Mystical performed and SCV had everything to do with people filing into the stadium.

About the only thing you did contribute to the activity this day was screaming "They're always ready" just before BDBs performance, then you had to justify it by following up with "It's a BD thing" or something along those lines. Instead of quoting me, please step up and create another opinion of the show - that's useful.

So we attend the same show and all you can muster up are complaints about my review and a scream? The program covers three shows and only the Westlake Village show started at 6PM. I read a 6:30 schedule. Thinking we had more time, we went to a restaurant, shared a nice meal with an old drum corps/college friend, and came back while they were on the field. My bad. Quite frankly, I'm tired of seeing nice little programs. I also think you're in Dream and I don't hear you playing any high notes, so don't slap those in your group that do. Maybe that guy will quit and force you to play solos. In the least he should come up to you and say something. You owe him an appology and should be thankful he's in the group. Mystical going on after the intermission has nothing to do with people filing in from the parking lot. Behind me was an empty row for standing. There were a couple of staffers there during the show, but it filled up when SCV came on. Who really cares about when Mystical performed and SCV had everything to do with people filing into the stadium.

About the only thing you did contribute to the activity this day was screaming "They're always ready" just before BDBs performance, then you had to justify it by following up with "It's a BD thing" or something along those lines. Instead of quoting me, please step up and create another opinion of the show - that's useful.

The "bites tongue" comment is not in any way a slap at Bob...I'm the one who recruited him into the corps this year, and his usefullness goes WAY beyond peeling double Cs. I WAS referring to the fact that YOUR only comment about Dream was commenting about the high notes....for once in my life, I kept my lips shut.

If I was going to slam him, it would've been after the Riverside show....but I wasn't interested in doing that; fracks happen, sometimes at the worst places ('89 BD *cough*)....he beat himself up FAR worse any anyone else could.

As for me playing high notes...I play what's written on my 2nd sop charts....I had a high C at the end of the sop feature in our opener and I hit it. I don't, never did, and never WILL have anything remotely close to the range of Bob or John McCoy...in BD I played 4th soprano...basically the lead stuff an octave down to support the overall book.

As to me playing a solo....give me one in my range and I'll definitely go for it. I auditioned for the one that ended up being a mello/bari duet in last year's program (and besides, I made Dm again, so it became a moot point), and there's a spot in our closer this year that screams to be a sop solo...it's in my range (it's currently played by the entire sop line, so I'm playing it anyway), and I've told our director that if it goes to a solo, I want a shot at it.

And in fact, I DID play in the sop feature in the opener...I'm the only non-lead doing so.

It's not about screaming high notes...it's about playing the book as a unit...I don't NEED to play the screaming notes to contribute...and I've been told by a couple of our staffers (when I thought I was sticking out too much) that I was, in fact, anchorning the sop sound in a couple of places.

Re Mystikal....you're missing the point. As a very young corps in Div III they're going to go on relatively near the beginning at almost any show they perform in...they went on right after us last year, and we usually went on first (a slot now taken by Hawthorne Gold).

HOWEVER, at this show they were the hosts...they had every right to go on later....it's not an entirely uncommon occurrance.

Crowd size is usually very small when the first guys go on (although I was pleased at the numbers when we hit the field last night). A LOT of people will buy a ticket and not bother to show up until the Div I guys come on...that means the smaller guys RARELY get exposed to a bigger crowd...Mystikal took the opportunity to do so last night, and unless they go to Finals, that was probable the largest crowd they'll perform in front of this year.

The BD yell....sorry, but that one predates my time in the corps...and I wasn't the only one yelling it (may have been the loudest, tho). And it IS a BD thing...A corps yells it for the B...B for the A....EVERYONE for the C.

Edited by 84BDsop

Hi Harry!!!

Been waiting to read your review. I love your reviews because you are honest and to the point without a bunch of gratuitous fluffy BS. Appreciate that.

It was so great to see you yesterday and Glenn and I looked for you after the show but figured you got the heck out of Dodge.

Anyway good to see you. I totally agree with your review SCV's show. And remember what we talked about. It's important.

in response to the original post and poster:

wow. we have something in common - almost. i, like you, actually bought tickets not to see and enjoy all of the shows performed, only all the shows beside SCV - as I've found through the years (and is in full effect here) that many of their alums are high-horse elitists that look down at everyone (at least those from fifth place on down) - and that they have a show only their poor mothers would actually want to sit through.

with love and respect...

Ace Cannon

Edited by acecannon

i, like you, actually bought tickets not to see and enjoy all of the shows performed, only all the shows beside SCV - as I've found through the years (and is in full effect here) that many of their alums are high-horse elitists that look down at everyone (at least those from fifth place on down) - and that they have a show only their poor mothers would actually want to sit through.

Wow! Someone has an axe to grind :rock:

Well, whatever your reasons are for hating the Vanguard and it's alumni, here are some of my favorite corps this year...(so far):

Blue Devils B

The Academy

Mandarins

Pacific Crest

Phantom Regiment

Carolina Crown

Madison Scouts

Blue Knights

Troopers

Blue Devils

The Cavaliers

I don't see too many top 5 corps in there :rock: I can't speak for Harrison, but I go to shows to watch EVERY corps perform. I'm a drum corps junkie, not a Vanguard junkie. :D

Perhaps you shouldn't judge an entire family of people (thousands strong) from the single post of one individual. :)

Perhaps you shouldn't judge an entire family of people (thousands strong) from the single post of one individual.  :)

i actually don't.

you did read his post though right? he's essentially in uniform here and happily being - well... let's just say "not so first class." you're in uniform as well - do you want stand beside him in this?

edit: come to think of it - maybe we can chalk up his disposition to that "other" corps he marched. :devin:

Edited by acecannon

Geez! You know - to each their own. We go to shows, we buy tickets, we buy merchandise. Some of us eat up every moment of every corps while others enjoy just the "elite", and still others only have eyes for the corps their kids march in.

For me I always spend the majority of any show in the parking lot watching corps warmup. For me that is where the action is at. I truly enjoy that more than the competition. I hurry in to the stands see the best of the best in action. I miss an awful lot of smaller corps as a result. It certainly doesn't mean that I do not respect or value them. Heck, I grew up in small drum corps.

There is no "right way" to watch drum corps. To each their own....