Cadets/Coats drumspeak/chant

I just finally heard the Coats drumspeak/ethnic chant (whatever you wanna call it). Anyway, it did not sound too much different from what The Cadets are doing with their drumspeak during their revolution portion of the show.

I personally have not read the same criticism of Coats that I have of The Cadets when it comes to this drumspeak stuff, yet it sounds fairly the same. Have I missed it or are The Cadets being bagged on more for something another corps is doing?

By the way, I like the drumspeak/chants, in both shows.

Sounds like the norm to me

my problem with it is why pretend you are drumming ( voice ) when you have 1 of the top drum lines in the activity ??????\

let them drum.

That was my reaction, too. Instead of saying it, why not actually play it? I've never been a big "basher" of Cadets, but this year they're making me wonder what the heck they're thinking.

i agree on this issue. i have said this in indoor as well.

if you have kids who can play, why in God's name are you saying it?

what's more impressive.....speaking it or throwing down on the drum?

That was my reaction, too.  Instead of saying it, why not actually play it?  I've never been a big "basher" of Cadets, but this year they're making me wonder what the heck they're thinking.

The percussion just finished a kick-butt percussion feature, inc a wonderful tenor feature (shades of 2000)...the drum-speak is after that a bit...if there had BEEN no great drumming I might agree, but in this show I absolutely do not agree at all. to maximize the drum-speak, it WILL have to be crisper though, for me. But conceptually it fit right into the rest of the show, IMO.

Mike

• Like 1

I just finally heard the Coats drumspeak/ethnic chant (whatever you wanna call it).  Anyway, it did not sound too much different from what The Cadets are doing with their drumspeak during their revolution portion of the show.

I personally have not read the same criticism of Coats that I have of The Cadets when it comes to this drumspeak stuff, yet it sounds fairly the same.  Have I missed it or are The Cadets being bagged on more for something another corps is doing?

By the way, I like the drumspeak/chants, in both shows.

Here's my take on it.

Of the entire Bluecoats show, I like the tabla section the least. It's kind of cool.. but I had to actually go DOWN TO THE FIELD and asked the kids about it.. and I got to watch their eyes light up to explain what it is and why they're doing it (and yes, it DOES make sense as part of their show) I still dont' like it.. but I do understand it.

Of the entire Cadets show, I liked that drumspeak section the best. I caught myself really feeling the groove towards the end of it.. but then I looked up and (at the time) the rest of the corps wasn't doing anything and I had to wonder, "did they forget they're a drum corps?"

Seriously.. I'm not trying to be inflammatory.. that's literally the words that went through my head at the time.

So.. there.. criticism and praise for both. Happy? :)

Stef

Edited by ScribeToo
  • Like 1

the bluecoats spoken part is a CHANT that the entire corps joins in on

the CADETS actually do "drum speak" and mimic percussion instruments with their voices.... i dont think the cadets are getting burned more for doing the same thing... i think they are getting burned more because their vocals are just more annoying and seem to distract/ take away from the show moreso than people claim that the bluecoats chant is doing...

again- the bluecoats are doing sort of a tribal chant of sorts (think SCV 2001 except a much more difficult to pronounce sequence of words than "new era") i think it works rather well... the first time i saw it it cought me by suprised but by the end when the whole corps was doing it acapella it seemed pretty cool.... on second viewing, i think i appreciated the whole thing even that much more... its Mike Macentosh for goodnesssakes... i think he knows what he is doing!

the CADETS actually do "drum speak" and mimic percussion instruments with their voices....  i dont think the cadets are getting burned more for doing the same thing... i think they are getting burned more because their vocals are just more annoying and seem to distract/ take away from the show moreso than people claim that the bluecoats chant is doing...

again- the bluecoats are doing sort of a tribal chant of sorts (think SCV 2001 except a much more difficult to pronounce sequence of words than "new era") i think it works rather well... the first time i saw it it cought me by suprised but by the end when the whole corps was doing it acapella it seemed pretty cool.... on second viewing, i think i appreciated the whole thing even that much more... its Mike Macentosh for goodnesssakes... i think he knows what he is doing!

To the average drum corps fan though what both corps are doing will seem very similar. Your thoughts that what Cadets are doing is just more annoying and takes away from the show is only an opinion. I actually dig the groove they lay down with the drumspeak (and I like Coats chanting). I just think those people all up in arms over the miced drumspeak/narrations/etc should include Coats in their rants.

• Like 1

the CADETS actually do "drum speak" and mimic percussion instruments with their voices....  i dont think the cadets are getting burned more for doing the same thing... i think they are getting burned more because their vocals are just more annoying and seem to distract/ take away from the show moreso than people claim that the bluecoats chant is doing...

Actually, what Bluecoats is doing is more what you explained Cadets is doing. I was under the impression that what Cadets is doing is a song by Bjork -- now... that song could be drumspeak.. but I was under the impression that it was a song..

Bluecoats are doing a drum technique called "tabla" -- it's an indian drumming technique where you speak the sound you're going to make.. then you make the sound on your drum.. it's not a tribal chant.. and the words don't translate into any language.. it's just a style of drumming.

Stef

• Like 1