Cadets/Coats drumspeak/chant

Do the Cadets seem to catch more flack for things then other corps? As a Cadet fan, it seems to me that they do. And while, as a fan it can be somewhat tiring at times, overall I think it is a compliment to the corps. Earlier today I counted seven threads on the first two pages that related to the Cadets or YEA. I don't think there were more than two about any other corps/organization. Who was it who said, "The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about"?

I have a hard time seeing how somebody could like one corps' use vocal percussion and not like the other's. I can see how you might dislike Cadets more since it was longer and louder. But hey, maybe the distractor's level of expertise with vocal percussion is significantly more suffisticated than mine so they can really like one and not the other. Personally I didn't much care for either.

my problem with it is why pretend you are drumming ( voice ) when you have 1 of the  top drum lines in the activity ??????\

let them drum.

Exactly! I could listen to the APD a few times, and by the end of the evening if I wanted to I could personally duplicate what they are doing. Why is that considered worthy of my time and money to watch or listen to? I want to see and hear things that blow me away, and that only the very few truly gifted individuals on the field can accomplish. Not drum rap.

Exactly!  I could listen to the APD a few times, and by the end of the evening if I wanted to I could personally duplicate what they are doing.  Why is that considered worthy of my time and money to watch or listen to?  I want to see and hear things that blow me away, and that only the very few truly gifted individuals on the field can accomplish.  Not drum rap.

If the percussion had not already played a marvelous feature (shades of 2000 tenors!) you may have a point...but they had just completed a section that "only the very few truly gifted individuals on the field can accomplish" so the drumspeak is, IMO, not a problem, and adds to their show in a positive way...assuming they get the balance right (it was not balanced well when I saw them).

Mike

While they had a nice percussion solo (I wouldn't call it a feature) right before the drum speak it was only a very brief section (hence solo, not feature). To me, they whetted my appetite and then didn't deliver.

• 8 months later...

Yeah, you can stop bumping old topics now.