Cadets/Coats drumspeak/chant

Of the two, Bluecoats' fits their show a bit better because, as people have mentioned, it is an authentic tabla style, which fits their show's "middle-eastern" theme (and yes, I know that India isn't "technically" part of the middle-east), and because of how it's terraced throughout the segment. Jeff, in regard to your comment "Why can't they just throw it down on the drum", in this particular case, they can't, because they aren't using tabla drums (although I think it'd be cool if they did).

Cadets I don't like for no other reason than the hornline gets done playing a beautiful ballad, and the drumspeak that comes after it made me feel like I had just crashed my car into a brick wall without an airbag. And if that was the designer's intent, then that designer needs to go back to design school imo, because you DON'T create such a beautiful moment as the horns do with that ballad and then pull the rug out from under the audience like that.

With the Bluecoats, I didn't like it when just the one person was doing the chant, When I saw it in normal it felt too loud and out of nowhere, but when the whole corps was doing it, I had no problem with it. It sounded much better.

I havn't seen the cadets yet, so I have no comment about that

To the average drum corps fan though what both corps are doing will seem very similar.  Your thoughts that what Cadets are doing is just more annoying and takes away from the show is only an opinion.  I actually dig the groove they lay down with the drumspeak (and I like Coats chanting).  I just think those people all up in arms over the miced drumspeak/narrations/etc should include Coats in their rants.

Actually, what Bluecoats is doing is more what you explained Cadets is doing.  I was under the impression that what Cadets is doing is a song by Bjork -- now... that song could be drumspeak.. but I was under the impression that it was a song..

Bluecoats are doing a drum technique called "tabla" -- it's an indian drumming technique where you speak the sound you're going to make.. then you make the sound on your drum..  it's not a tribal chant.. and the words don't translate into any language..  it's just a style of drumming. 

Stef

it APPEARED to me that the cadets were mimicking percussion instruments (the guy standing in the front with a mic clearly making snare drum sounds)... but thats just what it sounded like... come to think of it... i dont think that there is anything else that that specific guy sounded MORE like... but HEY... i'm no expert...

ALSO- while the "SPROCKET... " girl with the high pitched voice seemed annoying to me, i shouldnt have said that it WAS annoying... only that it came across that way to me. please dont feel like you have to interpret my opinions as though you should be forced to adopt them as your own...

FINALLY-

while the bluecoats vocally performed what sounded like a chant... (and did not sound like any actualy percussion instrument used in the drum corps activity)... i shouldnt have assumed that it WAS in fact a chant... i should have actually said that it sounded much more like a chant than the mimicking of percussion instruments and much more like a chant than any other type of vocal performance piece... and again... thats just how it came across to myslelf and several of my friends.

Edited by nero14
  • Like 1

Hey. . .I like both, but essentially when you start talking about the everyday guy or gal who comes to a show, they are not that much different.

• 3 weeks later...
Cadets I don't like for no other reason than the hornline gets done playing a beautiful ballad, and the drumspeak that comes after it made me feel like I had just crashed my car into a brick wall without an airbag.

:lolhit: HAHA! That cracked me up. :worthy:

i agree on this issue. i have said this in indoor as well.

if you have kids who can play, why in God's name are you saying it?

what's more impressive.....speaking it or throwing down on the drum?

It's a cute Idea if the horn line was doing it as well as it being played at the same time, but I agree - let a show choir drum speak and let the drummers show out.

my 2 cents...

While there were parts of the show I liked, my chin was just on the floor for the drumspeak. It was indeed like a bad dream. I'm not slamming on the kid, he did it well, but IMHO, it has no place in a drum corps show.

The people around us had no idea what was going on (as they're relatively new to the activity) and all I could do was sit and ask why and if I was actually hearing what I thought I did.

Maybe that's a bad image to paint. And please don't paint me as a "cadets hater" or whatever, but of all the things I've seen in shows in the past that's the one I never want to see again.

I'm confused. Are you calling for an end to the criticism of The Cadets. Or are you asking people to start criticising another corps? Most of the comments I've read have been pretty consistent and clear. Most people find that the drumspeak portion of the Cadets show is out of place. Most find that the Bluecoats drumspeak fits the show better, with a fair number of people criticizing the "solo" vocal, with preference for the portion when the whole corps joins in with the "terraced" section.

My take on why The Cadets are getting bagged on more (besides being The Cadets - we all know that's the biggest reason) is that their drumspeak is way out of balance with the rest of the corps. I speak only from my experience at Toledo, but the APD that came out a week later suggests that The Cadets had not adjusted their volume levels accordingly. Since the Bluecoats don't have an APD, I don't know if they've adjusted (to the bad, IMO) by cranking their drumspeak up, but, once upon a time, Bloo was better balanced than The Cadets and that's why I (and I suspect others) disliked their rapping less. :P

I thought Vanguard was supposed to be the corps doing everything a little bit different. Why are The Cadets taking over that role now? headscratch.gif