Keep the Amps out of drum corps, part dos

No, what's "ridonkulous" is the people who would rather post fake signatures than getting off their butts and, oh, I don't know, starting their OWN bloody petition instead.

I posted this before, but I'll just do it again and edit out my post the first time...

I love how it's pointed out that there are fake names on the petition....but, doesn't that just prove my point that many of the pro-ampers are completely immature about this while, at the same time, accusing the anti-ampers of doing the same? WE'RE the ones who are trying to play God?

Wow :blink:

Yet, again.....no concrete arguments FOR the use of amps in regards to the human voice...in the course of a year, I have yet to see one. So, with the exception of Mike Davis (though I don't buy what he's selling, but anyway), they have no recourse other than to be immature about this whole thing.

I'll make one addition to this post...I also give Mike Bishop credit, as I do Mike Davis..

Mike responded to my question as I originally asked it without resorting to any of the above.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DrumCorpFan
Of course, it may have been due to the presence of your...er...assistants Vinnie "No Amps" Gavone  and  Joey "Tone Deaf" Parmesano.

:P

Mike

You made me laugh again Mike. :lolhit:

Guest DrumCorpFan
The fact that this discussion has gone on as long as it has is absolutely ridonkulous.  I don't see the problem in just allowing naysayers to have their naysay.  Instead, they're like liberal protestors by damning those who refuse to sign the petition or see it their way.

Name one person who we have "######" for not signing.

DCI kept a close eye on me in Denver.  At the first 15 minute break I collected signatures underneath the upper deck.  By the second break, DCI had sent security to politely (really) tell me that I could not collect signatures inside the gate.  That is when I moved to the marketplace.  DCI had no problem with how I conducted myself there or they would have made me stop.  They kept close tabs on me.  They did ask others selling anti-amp shirts to leave, but not me.  I think this shows how I conducted myself and that the vast majority of the people did not feel harrassed, assaulted or even interrupted.

what you didn't assault people???

by the way, did they make corps selling anti amps shirts leave or just fans?

Name one person who we have "######" for not signing.

well, one wrote to DCi to complain about us, but apparently we made her feel so threatened she erased her blog where she trashed everyone of us who support this petition.

no one complained to or about me when i approached people last year, and i know many people david approached who said he was most polite.

Nonetheless, I'll phrase the question the way I should have in the first place...

In a year's time, I have yet to see a concrete argument given for the amplification of the human voice.

What is a 'concrete' argument in something as subjective as this?

One argument in favor of it...it makes it possible to balance the already legal use of a human voice against the rest of the corps.

Another...it makes the addition of narration and other spoken dialogue feasible. It was already legal.

Mike

Well, said person can leave her pepper spray at home, because she doesn't have to worry about being "threatened" at shows any more.

Meanwhile, I thought I'd share one of the few genuinely NICE things that I've heard among all of the bull#### that we've had to put up with lately.

These are the comments of signer #267:

I am a woodwind, and cannot play in DCI. However, I am not mad. DCI should not have woodwinds, or amps. It should purely be percussion and brass, as it always has been. I am going to learn a brass instrument solely because I want to be in DCI. I will spend countless hours over the next few years learning to play a tuba, and hoping that I will get good enough to join a drum corp. I want to do this because a DCI show is one of the most spectacular things I have ever seen, and there is little I want more than to be a part of one. I want the corps that I join to be the best because it has the best musicians, and the best marchers. Keep the talent in the corps, don't bring in glitzy electronics that only make the show seem better.

It's nice to see that among all the ######## who are naive enough to sign a petition in bad faith and think they can get away with it, the detractors who would rather sling mud than do something to actually try and STOP us, the people who think that they owe the paying audience absolutely nothing and can dictate what sort of speech is and is not "acceptable", and the people who have no qualms about misrepresenting or flat out LYING to get their way on things, there are still people with decency, integrity, and the desire to TRULY demand the best rather than settle for less.

Hopefully, the powers that be will take the wax out of their ears and realize that THIS is what "the kids" really think about all the stuff that's going on these days. :blink:

Edited by Galen

What is a 'concrete' argument in something as subjective as this?

One argument in favor of it...it makes it possible to balance the already legal use of a human voice against the rest of the corps.

Another...it makes the addition of narration and other spoken dialogue feasible. It was already legal.

Mike

remember, just because you can doesn't make it good.

remember, just because you can doesn't make it good.

Just because you don't like it doesn't make it bad.

He asked for reasons and I gave him two. Whether you or he or I like the very idea is besides the point...those are our own opinions. Miccing voice does permit the things I mentioned.

Mike

Well, said person can leave her pepper spray at home, because she doesn't have to worry about being "threatened" at shows any more.

Meanwhile, I thought I'd share one of the few genuinely NICE things that I've heard among all of the bull#### that we've had to put up with lately.

These are the comments of signer #267:

It's nice to see that among all the ######## who are naive enough to sign a petition in bad faith and think they can get away with it, the detractors who would rather sling mud than do something to actually try and STOP us, the people who think that they owe the paying audience absolutely nothing and can dictate what sort of speech is and is not "acceptable", and the people who have no qualms about misrepresenting or flat out LYING to get their way on things, there are still people with decency, integrity, and the desire to TRULY demand the best rather than settle for less.

Hopefully, the powers that be will take the wax out of their ears and realize that THIS is what "the kids" really think about all the stuff that's going on these days. :blink:

well said Vinny Ru :P

i agree the fake sigs really only show those who do it to be immature ########.

MikeD and i agree rarely, and we debate a lot, but i respect him and many others who are pro amp, misguided tho they are:P

but to sink to the level these trolls are really only helps the anti amps side look good.