Seattle, WA show 7/9

It's not possible to live life without offending SOMEONE with something you say. In this case, it was you. . . .

OK, this is my last post on the subject, because I really don't want to derail this thread. But first of all, I think you can tell from other replies that I wasn't the only one who was offended. Secondly, I think there is some terminology that is in "vogue" and has been for years, but which is growing increasingly out-of-favor with the general public. There's a reason for that. The point is not that we will live life without offending anyone--obviously we can't--but that we at least make an effort to offend as few people as possible, and understand why certain things are offensive to people. I think it's pretty common knowledge nowadays that these terms, used in this way, are offensive to a great many people. Thirdly, and this is probably the most important point, DCP has guidelines which we are all asked to abide by. This doesn't take into consideration anyone's personality or posting style. We're all subject to those same rules. Now, I don't know that the terminology you used would necessarily be in violation of forum guidelines; that's a judgment call for a moderator to make. But certainly the casual use of the terms you chose (and others that other folks have chosen) have been met with complaints by other posters . . . not only myself. So I think it's a good idea for all of us to be at least a little sensitive to these complaints, and try to understand why these terms, used in this way, are offensive to others. That's not being PC; that's using empathy . . . which, IMO, is a laudable human trait.

Apology accepted, and thanks. Now, hopefully we can move on in a more positive direction. That doesn't mean that corps can't be criticized. As I've noted before, reviews are going to contain criticisms, and they should. But I do believe there are better ways of doing it, and maybe the discussion in this thread will help us move in that direction.

Edited by byline

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Brass Ablaze,

I have a three year old son who has mental developmental disabilities. You have nothing to apologize for.

Your review was honest and to the point. I clearly understood that your wrath was aimed at the show design, not the performers. Yea, maybe you could have consulted a dictionary before writing a review, but I'm glad you wrote what you felt. Sometime, to be an open minded person, you have to hear what hurts.

Jim

Suffice to say Brass Ablaze just doesn't get the constructive criticism some have attempted to provide in this thread.  I hate to kick one when he is down, but this remark makes absolutely no sense.  If one opens a thread with ignorant and insensitive remarks (verbally attacking a "14 year old" and feeling perfectly fine using "########" to affix a negative connotation to something), the "vocabulary" overshadows the "opinion."  Asking the readers to separate the "vocabulary" from the "opinion" is *ss backwards... if you choose to express yourself, it is your responsibility to clearly articulate your opinion in a manner that fosters discussion of the topic you wish to discuss.  Interestingly, you might find if you express it in a more empathetic way, I believe you will get more constructive feedback and discussion.  Also, it's crap and a ridiculous cop-out to insinuate that one can’t use "########" because it’s “politically incorrect.”  It has nothing to do with political correctness; it’s flat out insulting and ignorant.

Hear! Hear! Agree 1000% :blink::huh::huh:

Suffice to say Brass Ablaze just doesn't get the constructive criticism some have attempted to provide in this thread.  I hate to kick one when he is down, but this remark makes absolutely no sense.  If one opens a thread with ignorant and insensitive remarks (verbally attacking a "14 year old" and feeling perfectly fine using "########" to affix a negative connotation to something), the "vocabulary" overshadows the "opinion."  Asking the readers to separate the "vocabulary" from the "opinion" is *ss backwards... if you choose to express yourself, it is your responsibility to clearly articulate your opinion in a manner that fosters discussion of the topic you wish to discuss.  Interestingly, you might find if you express it in a more empathetic way, I believe you will get more constructive feedback and discussion.  Also, it's crap and a ridiculous cop-out to insinuate that one can’t use "########" because it’s “politically incorrect.”  It has nothing to do with political correctness; it’s flat out insulting and ignorant.

Yes but in the words of a great American....

"Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ### off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream...

The way that you eliminate bad and ugly is either through activism and policy making that never tolerates evil -- instead of the liberal politically correct policy of accepting evil and accepting other points of views that destroy lives. We the thoughtful, productive people of American have got to take our freedom back.I don't care about appearing compassionate...

... I have the right not to be tolerant of others because they are different, weird or make me mad...

..This is my life to live, and not necessarily up to others expectations.

I will not be frowned upon or be looked down upon or be made to keep silent because I have these beliefs and opinions. I thought this country allowed me that right. I will not conform or compromise just to keep from hurting somebody's feelings. " "Are you part of the problem or part of the answer?

Ted Nugent

Rock and Roll Icon

Clear thinker and Great American

Author of "Kill It and Grill It!"

Edited by rogerbaby2001

What an insulting review, and how different from my thoughts on the subject.

When the Cascades were done, I turned to my son (a member of OC) and said to him "Seattle is going to finals."

I thought the kid doing the talking was great, he went out of his way to speak clearly and understandably. Lisp? Are you kidding? I just told someone else that was there about the original poster's opinion of the narration and she said "that guy is an idiot, the kid was perfectly clear and understandable."

Having said that, I wish the speech would stop. Nothing against him, but I can't stand narration. Otherwise, I did enjoy their show greatly. The aircraft shape was pretty interesting, the biplanes were fun and original. One pilot lives to fly another day, one dies and climbs the "stairway to heaven." Neat.

Before the show, a lot of the Cascade's guard members were running around without their shirts on. Now I don't know what they call that thing they wear underneath their top, but it sure looked like a black satin pushup bra. While I admit to being impressed :blink: may I suggest wearing a shirt?

Next subject.

OC is a great sounding corps with a weak guard. I saw them warming up 30 minutes before the show and the caption head was lying on the ground while his assistant lead the drill. Every time I have seen the guard working out, it's always the assistants and not the head. The guard was very late in coming together and I am sure their scores will improve, but they need every member of their guard's staff to be involved and right now, I don't see it. :(